Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jan 28, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #2,176 of 5,166
No, quite limited here. I suppose different headphones can create a warmer sound.

Then I suggest meizu pro7.

You need any recommendation on earphone and headphone? I can help you choose too.

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #2,177 of 5,166

Then I suggest meizu pro7.

You need any recommendation on earphone and headphone? I can help you choose too.
Id be interested to hear what you recommend

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #2,178 of 5,166
Also, matter of interest is the v30 still the best I can get?

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #2,180 of 5,166
Also, matter of interest is the v30 still the best I can get?

Yes. Lg v30 is quite top audio phone. Now the price is tempting too.

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #2,181 of 5,166
Feb 1, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #2,183 of 5,166
Hey guys,

I currently have a Meizu Pro 5 (make that two, but the first one has a fried audio jack), but it slowly becomes unusable. The battery gets worse, it has some charging problems, loses 40% over night even though it's plugged in the whole time, the OS becomes laggy and unresponsive etc. I mean, this thing is nearly 4 years old now, and I already bought it used, so maybe it is the right time to upgrade.

What audiophile smartphone could you guys recommend me? The most important part for me is a big display (not smaller than 6"), maybe a good camera with slow-motion video capabilities, a big battery for long screen-on-times, and of course the audio quality. Budget might be around 300-450€ maximum.

I could get a good deal on a Note 9, and kinda fell in love with this phone. According to https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note9-review-1805p3.php this might be a nearly perfect phone for audiophiles, but during my quick look-around, I couldn't find anything in this thread about the Note 9, or I didn't look hard enough.

Can you guys recommend the Note 9? Should I wait for the S10 release? Or are there other, better, cheaper alternatives already around?

Thank you very much in advance

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #2,184 of 5,166
Hey guys,

I currently have a Meizu Pro 5 (make that two, but the first one has a fried audio jack), but it slowly becomes unusable. The battery gets worse, it has some charging problems, loses 40% over night even though it's plugged in the whole time, the OS becomes laggy and unresponsive etc. I mean, this thing is nearly 4 years old now, and I already bought it used, so maybe it is the right time to upgrade.

What audiophile smartphone could you guys recommend me? The most important part for me is a big display (not smaller than 6"), maybe a good camera with slow-motion video capabilities, a big battery for long screen-on-times, and of course the audio quality. Budget might be around 300-450€ maximum.

I could get a good deal on a Note 9, and kinda fell in love with this phone. According to https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note9-review-1805p3.php this might be a nearly perfect phone for audiophiles, but during my quick look-around, I couldn't find anything in this thread about the Note 9, or I didn't look hard enough.

Can you guys recommend the Note 9? Should I wait for the S10 release? Or are there other, better, cheaper alternatives already around?

Thank you very much in advance

Consider LG V30+ maybe

Feb 1, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #2,186 of 5,166
The V30+ looks nice, it doesn't have a notch. But performance and camera wise it is a bit worse than what I am looking for. Is the audio-output of the V30 suitable for 80 Ohms headphones?

Suitable. It has high gain mode.

Camera, you can install gcam for better performance

Feb 1, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #2,187 of 5,166
Suitable. It has high gain mode.

Camera, you can install gcam for better performance

Ok, I see. Do you have any experience with the Note 9? Can you compare these two phones? I'm just asking because I could get the Samsung phone for around 220€ (together with a new data plan) and the V30 still costs ~390€ here, which hurts my bank account a bit more.

Oh and BTW, thanks for the quick answers, I honestly didn't expect a response so immediate :)

Feb 1, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #2,188 of 5,166
Ok, I see. Do you have any experience with the Note 9? Can you compare these two phones? I'm just asking because I could get the Samsung phone for around 220€ (together with a new data plan) and the V30 still costs ~390€ here, which hurts my bank account a bit more.

Oh and BTW, thanks for the quick answers, I honestly didn't expect a response so immediate :)

For note9 , you really need to buy ES100 bluetooth dac to come up with LG v30 level

Feb 1, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #2,190 of 5,166
Note9 Exynos model's audio quality is on par with Fiio BTR3 (when using LDAC) IMO. Output is a bit low of course. (~1V, I guess)

But if you connect an headphone amp (I use Fiio K11/A3) to Note9's output, the result is superb.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back