Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jun 1, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #4,996 of 5,166
Is there any concrete information on what DAC and/or amplification capabilities this new Sony Xperia 1 V will have?
I can't find any concrete information on it other than a bunch of marketing nonsense.

I am currently on an older LG, and it is blowing my mind that there really aren't many solid upgrade options.
The fact that people are still recommending LG devices that are out of support, or soon to be out of support says it all.
Every great feature of the LG: the removable battery, the SD Card support, the built-in DAC/AMP combo with 3.5mm headphone jack, and much more has been lost in time.
The removable battery is nice to have, but I guess I am ok with spending an hour or two with a heat gun to replace a battery.
SD Card support being removed from most modern phones is unfortunate, but I am ok with overpaying for a phone with over 500 GB of onboard storage.
Even making all of those sacrifices, it seems it is still difficult to find a modern phone with a nice built-in DAC/AMP combo with a 3.5mm headphone jack.
The processor and onboard memory on these older LG devices aren't cutting it anymore.
Not to mention, the security issues of running devices X amount of years out of date.
Not to seem rude or anything, but you being okay with all those features removed is why they remove those features to begin with. We need to be against this and vote with our money.

We feel it's okay now because we are getting used to it. But every step in the opposite direction of the consumer is bad... for the consumer. And they still make money out of those changes.

Jun 1, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #4,997 of 5,166
I appreciate the sentiment of your post and I agree with most of what you typed.
However, I am laser focused on finding a new smartphone.
I am willing to make a few sacrifices in order to improve my daily interactions with my smartphone.
My hope was that someone would see my personal list of nice to have features, and make a few suggestions.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #4,998 of 5,166
Not to seem rude or anything, but you being okay with all those features removed is why they remove those features to begin with. We need to be against this and vote with our money.

We feel it's okay now because we are getting used to it. But every step in the opposite direction of the consumer is bad... for the consumer. And they still make money out of those changes.
I agree with @Warfront1. I am also still using my LG G8 and wondering what to get next. Don't assume we're all sheep. No one needs to be enlightened that we vote with our money. I may choose a phone without a microSD despite wanting one. Sony seems obvious to me, but expensive. Point is, phones kinda suck now. Get a Walkman :)

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #4,999 of 5,166
I have the V30 and V40. Move on to higher end dongles. The RU7 is brilliant as is the RU6. These really do provide a step up in SQ and offer balanced 4.4 output which provides superior amplification. Also RU7 even does LO like the LG V-- phones (auxiliary mode).

Jun 1, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #5,000 of 5,166
I agree with @Warfront1. I am also still using my LG G8 and wondering what to get next. Don't assume we're all sheep. No one needs to be enlightened that we vote with our money. I may choose a phone without a microSD despite wanting one. Sony seems obvious to me, but expensive. Point is, phones kinda suck now. Get a Walkman :)
Sony Xperia is expensive, but if you get a previous generation than the latest they discount heavily. They all appear to have the same fairly good headphone output.

Jun 2, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #5,002 of 5,166
I agree with @Warfront1. I am also still using my LG G8 and wondering what to get next. Don't assume we're all sheep. No one needs to be enlightened that we vote with our money. I may choose a phone without a microSD despite wanting one. Sony seems obvious to me, but expensive. Point is, phones kinda suck now. Get a Walkman

Yes I understand, thanks for the feedback!

I would also get a previous gen Sony xperia in that situation.

Jun 14, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #5,004 of 5,166
Guys,Hi!

I have vivo xplay5s and vivo xplay6 ( 3 pieces)

What should i buy as a comparable sound and new android OS???

Thanks . Waiting

Better than these, Must go for DAP !!

Jun 15, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #5,005 of 5,166
I need a phone for a friend.

Everybody whats all in one.

Even me, if i will get DAP ( or usb stick), which phone i will use as a phone?

By the way, which particular dap ( or usb stick) is significant better than vivo xplay series?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #5,006 of 5,166

By the way, which particular dap ( or usb stick) is significant better than vivo xplay series?
Your friend may try asus rog phone

I believe something like DX220-240 and higher model is already better than phone.
dongle such as L&P or cayin ru6 or DC04 Pro are also considered better.

For phone, I will swift to iphone next gen that come with usb c as I want to ensure no 48kHz output with apple music / spotify with usb dac.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #5,008 of 5,166
Someone mentioned a DAP and I think I might be able to give some insight. Although I got no pro equipment, not even a potentiometer, I finally had the chance to compare the Sony NW-A55 DAP to LG V10 (high impedance mode) and HTC 10 (with, and without Personal audio profile). I waited for a week to open it on this special day. It came from Japan to Bulgaria in just 3 days (!). I decided to test everything stock (all sound EQ and processing options of the DAP made it sound even more digital than it already is). Fortunately, I have open back, closed back, and planar IEM. All 3 headphones were with their stock cables. TL ; DR: Both phones easily bested the DAP with 24/192 Audio files.
Long version: First, LG V10 with Dunu 75 ohm impedance adapter (highly recommended, I am sorry for having spend at least $ 40 on other adapters) and LG stock music app. The DAP did not par well with the closed back Focal Listen Pro. They are tremendously detailed with sparkling highs, but not this time. Weak, anemic sound with little lows and strange soundstage. Not enjoyable at all. Muffled and muddy sound. The LG was so much better, not even worth comparing.
Next, HD 599 SE gave a much better, alive sound. I usually do not like them, as they are horrific without EQ, as AmirM from Audioscience review says. But they paired quite nicely with the DAP. Crystal clear highs, acceptable (but not great) soundstage, fun but detailed...and still worse than the phones. Not a single aspect was better (be it highs, mids, lows, soundstage, transparency, clarity)...
Finally, KZ PR1 Pro IEM. Surprisingly good, althought not as good as HD 599 SE. Normally, the latter is my least enjoyable headphone, but the Sony is great with it, almost made them sing. Plenty of bass, even a bit too much. Not as refined, well controlled, fast and snappy as in the phones.
All in all...it was unique. It was emotional. 25 years ago, when we used to finish the year on 16th June, I would dream of a Walkman. I was a poor kid with no lunch money. I bought a case and screen protectors for the NW-A55, I love the stunning paint job and display, build quality, form factor, buttons...This is my first DAP. Now I will try a few firmwares from the great Mr. Walkman and will keep you updated. The highs on the Sony are almost above the music, but not detached. Very strange, in a good way. I would say the sound is close, but not up to par with Xperia 10 IV. Very similar. I have read that the output power was low. So I tried my 50 ohm HD 599 SE with the 75 ohm Duni adapter. The DAP was able to drive them to uncomfortable levels. And it sounded better with the adapter, more analogue with better bass. Without it, clarity and highs are better. Quite a difference, I know. I settled for 80 out of 120 on the volume scale with the adapter, if this helps. If there are other owners of the Sony NW-A55, I would love their thoughts.

Jun 17, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #5,009 of 5,166

I'm not sure what you're trying ask, other than a phone suggestion. Any smartphone is an all-in-one. Most Android phones are a little more friendly with external devices. Apple is a little better for external recording; better options if you want to use the phone as a guitar amp simulation. Some phones will have newer Bluetooth codecs or versions. Not many phones have 3.5mm ports.

I cannot suggest a DAP only device. As for a DAC to use with a phone, I would suggest checking out the FiiO products. BTR7 gets a lot of good comments and reviews. It's not perfect. I have and use the BTR5, which is also very good. I think it has a good sound; more on the reference side, but not harsh, but I prefer more reference/balanced over "colored" with usually means a lot more bass. BTR7 from what I've read is similar. Both are USB C, so you can use it with your phone that has USBC and or PC; they do offer lighting cable versions. They can also power some very demanding headphones too.

Jun 19, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #5,010 of 5,166

Users who are viewing this thread

Back