Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jan 14, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #4,891 of 5,166
As you may know, I compared the IV versions of Xperia 1 and 10. The flagship's audio was so bad, it was laughable. I couldn't believe it and checked many times if I had compared correctly...Yes, the 10 IV annihilated 1 IV in every way. Notebookcheck claims the pwm curve is even and flat, so even at 250 Hz might suit the sensitive eyes. I quite liked the display, considering there's nobody in the world who hates LED more than I do. It was shocking that the 1 IV costs more than 3x the price of a 10 IV.

Does Bluetooth aptX Adaptive sound the same between the two (1 IV and 10 IV), or are you only referring to the 3.5mm output? I think the issue is Snapdragon Sound - it adds a layer of DSP that makes it sound worse. So frustrating.

It doesn't look like the new S23 Ultra will support advanced aptX codecs either considering Qualcomm is manufacturing exclusive/custom SDG2 chipsets for Samsung.

I think HiFi audio from flagship smartphones is truly an impossibility now going forward - not just from the lack of a dedicated DAC but also with proprietary Bluetooth codecs and forced EQ/DSP via SD sound.

Jan 15, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #4,892 of 5,166
Yes, 3.5mm only, as I played mainly 24bit / 192 kHz and DSF files. Michael Jackson's "Thriller" was something else to be heard. The file is 1bit 705.6 kHz 11290 kbps dsd lsf planar. Wireless audio?! Gimme a break, this won't be played without conversion in the next 10 years. Android 7 is clean! You are right about hi-res audio on flagships. Even their amp section is bad. I had to turn up the volume quite a lot on those Xperia with 50 ohm HD 599 SE. Much more than on LG V10 and HTC 10. Since LG V10 with its ESS 9018K2M, I have yet to hear anything close enough. I only own cheap headphones like Focal Listen Pro and HD 599 SE, and the V10 gives my Yulong D200 with the fancy power cable a run for its money. I am not knowledgeable enough to know the difference between the ESS 9018 it uses, and the mobile 9018K2M. D200 is cold, analytical and bright, I prefer the LG V10. D200 giver considerably better layering with trucks of detail...with no musicality. Everything sounds so digital...Bass is also...well, thinner with no "oomph". Paired with the bassy Monitor Audio RX1 Silver, it's a heavenly match. I hope I'm not getting banned for beating the drum on LG V10, lol. Each time I visit my family in Paris, I spent dozens of hours comparing headphones at Cobra store, which I wholeheartedly recommend. I was sceptical about Denon headphones, they were unimpressive. But with the AH-D9200 and both HTC 10 and LG V10, it was so good a match that I was stunned. The 7200 sounded similar at first, but a few seconds later I said "Man, get outta here". Major Hifi's review of the 9200 is spot on, scary accurate.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #4,894 of 5,166
If i want to test bass and clarity, I just play the DSD of "Wanna be starting something". It's on a different level, so rich, so well mastered, like from another planet. I can only imagine a top-end Hi-res audio player. I was thinking of an affordable Shanling M2X, to test the famous AKM "velvet" sound, but what improvement can I expect? I own HTC 10, LG V10 and G7.

Jan 18, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #4,895 of 5,166
Hi everyone. I have read so many pages but there is problem that I'm living in Turkey. Most of this phones are not available in our country. I wanna get something with 3.5 mm jack. I'm using MI10T PRO and sound quality is very weak with my amperior-hd 25 etc. So does anyone know about Realme GT? I can find Xiaomi, samsung, Apple phones to buy. Even If you find others you must register it with your passport (you should go out of counrty to do it) for 6K. Yes one month you will work for register if you have gone some other countries. Sorry for our problems. lol. Hope someone can help me. I guessI can't find something cool but looking for something powerfull and dark&warm. Like hifiman old daps.(600-800)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #4,896 of 5,166
Hi everyone. I have read so many pages but there is problem that I'm living in Turkey. Most of this phones are not available in our country. I wanna get something with 3.5 mm jack. I'm using MI10T PRO and sound quality is very weak with my amperior-hd 25 etc. So does anyone know about Realme GT? I can find Xiaomi, samsung, Apple phones to buy. Even If you find you must register it with your passport (you should go out of counrty to do it) for 6K. Yes one month you will work for register if you have gone some other countries. Sorry for our problems. lol. Hope someone can help me. I guess can't find but looking for something powerfull and dark&warm. Like hifiman old daps.(600-800)
If you are looking for a dark/warm sounding phone with a powerful internal Amp, you are not going to find it. Most phones have a neutral sound with low power unless you are using impedance tricks on some phones (like LG) for a bit more power.

You're best bet is to get a warm sounding dongle DAC or a budget DAC (like Hip-DAC) instead.

Jan 18, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #4,897 of 5,166
If you are looking for a dark/warm sounding phone with a powerful internal Amp, you are not going to find it. Most phones have a neutral sound with low power unless you are using impedance tricks on some phones (like LG) for a bit more power.

You're best bet is to get a warm sounding dongle DAC or a budget DAC (like Hip-DAC) instead.
I tried some dac and was not satisfied in general. And I don't wanna carrying something else. I can't enjoy my 4 headphones just for this reason. Thanks for your help. Then I will get the best option if there is one I can buy. :) Any suggestion from big companies which I can find easily?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #4,898 of 5,166
I tried some dac and was not satisfied in general. And I don't wanna carrying something else. I can't enjoy my 4 headphones just for this reason. Thanks for your help. Then I will get the best option if there is one I can buy. :) Any suggestion from big companies which I can find easily?
My suggestion would be any phone and a Qudelix

Jan 19, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #4,899 of 5,166
My suggestion would be any phone and a Qudelix
Thanks, but unfortunately I'm not interested with carrying an extra device and constantly charging. It is not suitable for me. In addition, there are not many alternatives in our country in this regard. I do not want to write here for a long time the customs problems related to Turkey. For this reason, instead of guiding me, please suggest me an easy-to-find model like Samsung or Xiaomi. Otherwise, probably I will not buy anything. Because real inflation in Turkey is around 600 percent and I'm not in a trial period. For a good phone, you need to give your salary of at least 7-8 months completely. This is same for any useful electronic product including dac&dap. For this reason, I would appreciate it if you would suggest me the phone of well-known brands. There may not be good one. I'm just looking for best option. Thanks for your comments.

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #4,900 of 5,166
@FreeShah If getting LG or Asus phones isn't feasible, there's no point in getting Samsung or some other phone for audio quality, it's not going to be an improvement over your current phone.

If budget is an issue then get a budget IEM like Salnotes Zero, E3000... there are plenty of options out there that won't require as much power. You will get much more sound quality upgrade/difference with IEM/Headphone swap instead of source swap.

Jan 19, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #4,902 of 5,166
Thanks, but unfortunately I'm not interested with carrying an extra device and constantly charging. It is not suitable for me. In addition, there are not many alternatives in our country in this regard. I do not want to write here for a long time the customs problems related to Turkey. For this reason, instead of guiding me, please suggest me an easy-to-find model like Samsung or Xiaomi. Otherwise, probably I will not buy anything. Because real inflation in Turkey is around 600 percent and I'm not in a trial period. For a good phone, you need to give your salary of at least 7-8 months completely. This is same for any useful electronic product including dac&dap. For this reason, I would appreciate it if you would suggest me the phone of well-known brands. There may not be good one. I'm just looking for best option. Thanks for your comments.

Are you able to buy Sony Phones? If so I can recommend the Xperia 10 IV* (size is like iPhone 12/13 mini but longer/taller) for it's 22.75hr rated daily battery life averaged between web browsing on WiFi and video playback based on measurements by Notebookcheck. I'd say a browsing-video average of 20 hours or more is ideal but any phone with at least a daily longevity of 17.5 hours is decently good.

I would recommend the iPhone 13 Pro, the iPhone 14/14+, and any iPhone Pro Max for similar battery life, but even the iPhone 11 & SE costs 17,000TL/900 USD in your country:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Assuming Sony Xperia and iPhones are out of reach for you there's also these:

From Samsung.......
  • [19.9hrs] Galaxy A23*
  • [19.9hrs] Galaxy M23*
  • [26.6hrs] Galaxy M51*
  • [20.1hrs] Galaxy M53
From Xiaomi.........
  • [18.5hrs] Mi 9T*
  • [19hrs] Mi 10 Lite 5G*
  • [19.4hrs] Mi 10T Lite 5G*
  • [21.8hrs] Mi 10T 5G
  • [21.7hrs] Mi 10T Pro 5G
  • [20hrs] Mi 12X
  • [19.75hrs] Mi 12T Pro 5G
  • [19.5hrs] Redmi Note 9T 5G*
  • [20.45hrs] Redmi Note 9S*
  • [18.9hrs] Redmi Note 9 Pro*
  • [18.8hrs] Redmi Note 10S*
  • [19.3hrs] Redmi Note 10*
  • [17.75hrs] Redmi Note 10 5G*
  • [19.9hrs] Poco F2 Pro*
  • [19.4hrs] Poco X3 NFC*
  • [18.2hrs] Poco M3 Pro 5G*
  • [19.5hrs] Poco M5s*
Here are all the smartphone models from Samsung, Apple, Sony, and Xiaomi-Redmi-Poco I could find on Notebookcheck with an browsing-playback average daily battery life of 16 hours or more:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/index...&specs[]=326343&specs[]=332302&specs[]=332480

You will need a dongle DAC-AMP on any of the smartphones phones I've recommend and listed above to comfortably drive headphones with impedances higher than 65-80ohms.

And regarding not wanting to "charge an extra device" there are many wired DAC-AMPs that fit into pockets and are powered directly from your smartphone not to mention the USB-C to 3.5mm adapter you'll be using anyway if the new phone does not have an audio jack -- the ones from Apple & Samsung are the best if you need spares.

There are of course MANY highly rated headphones both cheap/budget build/affordable and decently expensive/premium build/pro-enthusiast that can be powered within the 16-80ohm range and thus without the need for an external dongle DAC-AMP. Some of my favorites include the Samson SR850, Meze 99, Beyrdynamic DT 770/880, Altiat Cal.1H, and a bunch of IEMs (aka "premium Chi-Fi earbuds").

Hope this helps!

* these smartphone models have a 3.5mm headphone jack

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #4,903 of 5,166
HTC 10 beats Xperia 10 IV in the test I made. Both phones sound warm and maybe dark. HTC 10 can be found so cheap, and a battery change in a good service centre costs less than 40$ in Bulgaria. Plus, it is quite more powerful than the Sony, it runs comfortably HD660 without even going max volume. The screen and build quality are so much better, plus it is a real 16:9 phone. Most new phones are slim and narrow like a TV remote control (yuck). The only reason I did not by the Xperia 10 IV was that, plus PWM. Best of all, no need to force high impedance mode, if you can live with a top-placed headphone jack.

Jan 23, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #4,905 of 5,166
Are you able to buy Sony Phones? If so I can recommend the Xperia 10 IV* (size is like iPhone 12/13 mini but longer/taller) for it's 22.75hr rated daily battery life averaged between web browsing on WiFi and video playback based on measurements by Notebookcheck. I'd say a browsing-video average of 20 hours or more is ideal but any phone with at least a daily longevity of 17.5 hours is decently good.

I would recommend the iPhone 13 Pro, the iPhone 14/14+, and any iPhone Pro Max for similar battery life, but even the iPhone 11 & SE costs 17,000TL/900 USD in your country:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Assuming Sony Xperia and iPhones are out of reach for you there's also these:

From Samsung.......
  • [19.9hrs] Galaxy A23*
  • [19.9hrs] Galaxy M23*
  • [26.6hrs] Galaxy M51*
  • [20.1hrs] Galaxy M53
From Xiaomi.........
  • [18.5hrs] Mi 9T*
  • [19hrs] Mi 10 Lite 5G*
  • [19.4hrs] Mi 10T Lite 5G*
  • [21.8hrs] Mi 10T 5G
  • [21.7hrs] Mi 10T Pro 5G
  • [20hrs] Mi 12X
  • [19.75hrs] Mi 12T Pro 5G
  • [19.5hrs] Redmi Note 9T 5G*
  • [20.45hrs] Redmi Note 9S*
  • [18.9hrs] Redmi Note 9 Pro*
  • [18.8hrs] Redmi Note 10S*
  • [19.3hrs] Redmi Note 10*
  • [17.75hrs] Redmi Note 10 5G*
  • [19.9hrs] Poco F2 Pro*
  • [19.4hrs] Poco X3 NFC*
  • [18.2hrs] Poco M3 Pro 5G*
  • [19.5hrs] Poco M5s*
Here are all the smartphone models from Samsung, Apple, Sony, and Xiaomi-Redmi-Poco I could find on Notebookcheck with an browsing-playback average daily battery life of 16 hours or more:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/index...&specs[]=326343&specs[]=332302&specs[]=332480

You will need a dongle DAC-AMP on any of the smartphones phones I've recommend and listed above to comfortably drive headphones with impedances higher than 65-80ohms.

And regarding not wanting to "charge an extra device" there are many wired DAC-AMPs that fit into pockets and are powered directly from your smartphone not to mention the USB-C to 3.5mm adapter you'll be using anyway if the new phone does not have an audio jack -- the ones from Apple & Samsung are the best if you need spares.

There are of course MANY highly rated headphones both cheap/budget build/affordable and decently expensive/premium build/pro-enthusiast that can be powered within the 16-80ohm range and thus without the need for an external dongle DAC-AMP. Some of my favorites include the Samson SR850, Meze 99, Beyrdynamic DT 770/880, Altiat Cal.1H, and a bunch of IEMs (aka "premium Chi-Fi earbuds").

Hope this helps!

* these smartphone models have a 3.5mm headphone jack
Thank's a lot. I'll look that list and also I may check for Realme GT 5G and Samsung Galaxy S10+.

And for who helps, I know someone says get dac or dap but I know myself. All the time I'm losting or broken them in my pocket. Or I forget for charging etc. I hate carrying two things. I know other phones are never satisfied me but what I'm looking is just best option I can. That's all. Again thank's a lot everyone. It's always fun to read and write here. 🙏🏽

Users who are viewing this thread

Back