Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jan 1, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #4,503 of 5,166
Hi, the new iBasso DCO5 is around 60$, I am wondering about type c build quality. Because previously BTR5 was pain in ass when it comes to cable type c to type c connection when I was listening music while walking because of constant interruption in signal transmission and had to use Bluetooth with phone music and wired DAC on laptop.

Is iBasso have that kind of problems related to listening music on the move?
If you are out and about with the BTR5 in less than optimal listening conditions just use BT you won’t loose any noticeable sound quality.

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #4,504 of 5,166
If you are out and about with the BTR5 in less than optimal listening conditions just use BT you won’t loose any noticeable sound quality.
I was using Bluetooth on BTR5 because wired connection was unstable when walking with phone and BTR5 in same pocket.

But since it was stolen I want to buy something cheaper, and with comparable listening quality. I found iBasso DC05 with quad sabre dac, it is only wired, no Bluetooth option there. Is out there owner of that gadget, and is connection unstable, and is it possible to listen music on that dongle while moving, running etc?

Jan 4, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #4,508 of 5,166
That pretty much is the list, since LG pulled out.

Sony Xperia gets a good write-up, as long as your headphones are fairly high sensitivity, as it has limited voltage capability. Good for IEMs.

The Sony Experia is great in terms of sound quality, but if you adore Sabres sound signature then Rog phone 5 is your best bet.

Jan 4, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #4,511 of 5,166
The Rog phone 5 can output power up to 2Vrms.
And if it had been waterproof it would even have been a good phone to use as, err..., a phone!. This one was on top of my list after LG dropped out. But honestly, buying a phone that costs up to a 1,000 bucks that can't even stand a splash is not just bad; it's unforgivable. If they ever fix it the deal is in. Partly because of the audio but also its large screen (mostly the width which makes it so much nicer for reading eBooks, especially compared to Sony) and battery life.

drftr

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #4,513 of 5,166
One could always buy a v30, 35, 40, 50 online for cheap if you must have that solution. Personally I have gone to a BTR5 for a compact BT solution and a DX312 for anything else whilst out and about, I keep the 312 in a cell holster that attaches to my belt.

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #4,514 of 5,166
Jus got my Asus ROG phone 5s. Been doing some A/B testing with my LG V50. The V50s headphone amp is a lot more powerful. I tested it with my 600ohm DT 880s. There is probably another 15% volume on the V50 and the tuning is much warmer on the V50, the ROG is bright in comparison but maybe a hair more revealing. The ROG sounds great, no issues here. I don't mind the brightness because most of the time I have my peasant Porta Pros connected anyway which are already warm sounding.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #4,515 of 5,166
so I was wondering which phone to buy,
I don't really care about nothing but the sound, battery and it can't be laggy.

My leetv x800 has broken screen and battery lifetime of few hours, previously I used vivo xplay6 but even after changing battery it would drain it with astonishing speed.
I am very happy with x800 sound quality and it's warmth/liquid characteristic much more than xplay6's.

Please recommend me something that I would not consider much of a downgrade sound wise and wont break my wallet lol.
I do like my leetv sound characteristic.
I listen mostly on hifiman sundara nowadays, everything from idm, psytrance, ambient, dnb to jazz, blues, rock ,metal etc. But I mostly care about IDM and Psytrance as far as sound quality is concerned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back