Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Sep 16, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #3,676 of 5,168
Ibasso DC03 is about to be released, it's higher powered version of DC02 with 3.5mm unbalanced, wonder if it can drive high OHMs IEMs, up to 100ohms presumably or even more?

I expect it will be good for high sensitivity iem. for high ohm, trust e1da 9038s.

Sep 17, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #3,677 of 5,168
I recently got the Vivo X50 Pro which comes with the AK4377A DAC. If I'm not mistaken, that DAC is similar to the Fiio M5? I've been eyeing on a used LG G8 for quite a while now but my phone carrier just got a good deal with my Plan and got this phone at a very good price.

I'm honestly loving the sound of this despite being a headphone jack-less phone. I've always thought the usb dongle would lessen the quality of a music track but surprisingly to me, it didn't.

It's like a night and day sound difference coming from my samsung galaxy S6 and my computer desktop. I've been listening to some 24bit/96khz music from my desktop for years and it sounded much more cleaner on my Vivo X50 Pro.

If this DAC already sounds fantastic for me personally, I can't imagine how great the mid-ranger daps will sound like.

All I need now is to upgrade my IEM. Been using my TFZ Exclusive 1 for the past 3 years now.

For those who are wondering about the phone I'm using - https://www.vivo.com/my/products/x50pro

Sep 17, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #3,678 of 5,168
Yes I got a good feedback about vivo x50 pro too from my friend. It may not be equal to xplay6 or nex s but comparing with x-series, x50 pro has surpassed a lot.

Sep 18, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #3,680 of 5,168
Good to know you are enjoying DSDs. :beyersmile:

During native DSD playback on your Vivo Xplay6, the DSD files are hardware decoded inside its HiRes DAC rather than software decoding. Hence at identical volumes, headphone output gain is slightly higher than PCM recordings. Something also happens inside the DAC which makes the soundstage even wider.

On Vivo NEX S, native DSD playback of DSD64 files have no issues. The Xplay6 runs on Android 7, NEX S runs on Android 10. NEX S not only three generations ahead but Vivo for sure have learnt from Xplay6 and performed a better hardware implementation this time.

Good vivo nex s have no issues for native dsd playback. MY xplay6 is much better sounding playing good mastered dsd tracks over pcm. However xplay6 is vivo first try for dsd playback and cause issues sometimes. But most of the times it plays well.

I am now enjoying the entire 5 sets of dsd tracks of closer to music on xplay6. Incredibly well mastered songs in dsd using modern tech. This songs are the benchmark for me in testing audio equipment.

Sep 18, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #3,681 of 5,168
I recently got the Vivo X50 Pro which comes with the AK4377A DAC. If I'm not mistaken, that DAC is similar to the Fiio M5? I've been eyeing on a used LG G8 for quite a while now but my phone carrier just got a good deal with my Plan and got this phone at a very good price.

I'm honestly loving the sound of this despite being a headphone jack-less phone. I've always thought the usb dongle would lessen the quality of a music track but surprisingly to me, it didn't.

It's like a night and day sound difference coming from my samsung galaxy S6 and my computer desktop. I've been listening to some 24bit/96khz music from my desktop for years and it sounded much more cleaner on my Vivo X50 Pro.

If this DAC already sounds fantastic for me personally, I can't imagine how great the mid-ranger daps will sound like.

All I need now is to upgrade my IEM. Been using my TFZ Exclusive 1 for the past 3 years now.

For those who are wondering about the phone I'm using - https://www.vivo.com/my/products/x50pro

Is there native dsd payback capability on x50pro? Is the audio dongle supplied or you buy it separately?

Sep 18, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #3,682 of 5,168
vivo-x50-pro-ph-1.png

X50 Pro unboxings show that a dongle is supplied.

Sep 18, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #3,683 of 5,168
Is there native dsd payback capability on x50pro? Is the audio dongle supplied or you buy it separately?

Yup! There's an audio dongle in the box! I don't have any DSD songs but it wasn't listed in any of the official info spreadsheet. I'm not much of an expert since I just got into audiophile fairly recently. Someone else here might be able to clarify for you.

Aside from that, I'm really loving it a lot!

Sep 18, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #3,684 of 5,168
Yup! There's an audio dongle in the box! I don't have any DSD songs but it wasn't listed in any of the official info spreadsheet. I'm not much of an expert since I just got into audiophile fairly recently. Someone else here might be able to clarify for you.

Aside from that, I'm really loving it a lot!

Great to know you are enjoying the audio fantasies on Vivo X50 Pro.:beerchug:

That AK4377A audio chip from AKM is no slouch and provide decent audio experience. Native DSD playback support on Vivo devices are pretty easy to identify. Just go to:

Settings -> Sound & Vibration -> HiFi

If there is a "Proffesional DSD mode" toggle switch available, then your phone supports native DSD playback. If not their is no point to get disheartened, as latest PCM recordings are as good as DSDs.

Enjoy!!!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #3,685 of 5,168
New Sony Xperia 5II with HiRes audio and headphone jack:
https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperi...me_hardware_as_the_xperia_1_ii-news-45321.php
Small, good battery, jack - only the price... 900 EUR.

This is promising but once again there's no concrete info on what Sony means by "hi-res audio", except that it's a focal point in their advertisement this time around which gives me hope. I can't wait to upgrade my LG V60 to something with similar SQ but with at least 90hz RR. It is literally impossible to go back to 60hz after using a OP8Pro @120hz. I have high hopes for the V70. The OP8P is still my favorite phone I've used this year (outside of the missing audio jack of course), haven't looked into the new Note 20 though.

Oh yeah, I finally was able to compare my LG V60 vs. a Sony Xperia 1ii head-on using IEMs straight out the audio jack (UM MEST, AS T800 and Blon03's are what I have right now). There's definitely an overall decrease in SQ when switching to the Xperia during an A/B comparison. It's not awful by any means but it's noticeably worse to my ears. I was actively rooting for the Xperia since it's a better phone in every way and cost isn't an issue (it has high resale value anyway), so I wasn't biased at all. I wish more people were able to compare the two with decent IEMs and without a dongle because this is just one subjective data point, but I get it, the Xperia is pretty pricy and inaccessible to most (in terms of acquiring it).

Sep 18, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #3,686 of 5,168
Great to know you are enjoying the audio fantasies on Vivo X50 Pro.:beerchug:

That AK4377A audio chip from AKM is no slouch and provide decent audio experience. Native DSD playback support on Vivo devices are pretty easy to identify. Just go to:

Settings -> Sound & Vibration -> HiFi

If there is a "Proffesional DSD mode" toggle switch available, then your phone supports native DSD playback. If not their is no point to get disheartened, as latest PCM recordings are as good as DSDs.

Enjoy!!!

Thanks! Unfortunately it doesn't, but I'm still having a blast listening to old flac and hi-res songs that I've gotten for years now which just breathes new life and realizing how important it is to have a proper audio chip in one.

A bit off-topic, but are there any specific music player apps do I need to get to make use of the hi-res songs? Or am I already good enough with the Vivo music app?

Sep 18, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #3,687 of 5,168
Thanks! Unfortunately it doesn't, but I'm still having a blast listening to old flac and hi-res songs that I've gotten for years now which just breathes new life and realizing how important it is to have a proper audio chip in one.

A bit off-topic, but are there any specific music player apps do I need to get to make use of the hi-res songs? Or am I already good enough with the Vivo music app?

If you are on GMS certified Vivo Global ROM with Google Playstore preinstalled, then most probably you have the offline version of Vivo's default music app. I mean no online music streaming involved. Please confirm. If that is the case, then the default music app is the best option for un-adulterated audio on your X50 Pro.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #3,688 of 5,168
Oh yeah, I finally was able to compare my LG V60 vs. a Sony Xperia 1ii head-on using IEMs straight out the audio jack (UM MEST, AS T800 and Blon03's are what I have right now). There's definitely an overall decrease in SQ when switching to the Xperia during an A/B comparison. It's not awful by any means but it's noticeably worse to my ears. I was actively rooting for the Xperia since it's a better phone in every way and cost isn't an issue (it has high resale value anyway), so I wasn't biased at all. I wish more people were able to compare the two with decent IEMs and without a dongle because this is just one subjective data point, but I get it, the Xperia is pretty pricy and inaccessible to most (in terms of acquiring it).
I've abandoned LG for their lack of Android OS updates. Even best equipped phone without proper software is a brick.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #3,689 of 5,168
This is promising but once again there's no concrete info on what Sony means by "hi-res audio", except that it's a focal point in their advertisement this time around which gives me hope. I can't wait to upgrade my LG V60 to something with similar SQ but with at least 90hz RR. It is literally impossible to go back to 60hz after using a OP8Pro @120hz. I have high hopes for the V70. The OP8P is still my favorite phone I've used this year (outside of the missing audio jack of course), haven't looked into the new Note 20 though.

I guessed so. LG & Vivo with their ESS & Cirus Logic implementations respectively are the current benchmarks in smartphone industry related to audio over headphone jack.

Here is someone else who shares your view:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v30.858933/page-379#post-15869251

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #3,690 of 5,168
If you are on GMS certified Vivo Global ROM with Google Playstore preinstalled, then most probably you have the offline version of Vivo's default music app. I mean no online music streaming involved. Please confirm. If that is the case, then the default music app is the best option for un-adulterer audio on your X50 Pro.

Yup. My phone came with the Google Playstore preinstalled and it's the default music app. Yeah, if I wanna go for music streaming, i'll be doing that over spotify. Just wanna ask cause I've read in this forum before that there other users using other music app hahaha. Thanks for the clarification. Will enjoy my music at ease!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back