Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jan 31, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #3,121 of 5,166
If I have understood your question correctly, the Hi-Res certification is for the DAC (Snapdragon) in the phone itself. I think it will play up to 24/192. However, I wouldn't get too caught up in the Hi-Res certification marketing. I have the Oppo A5 2020 and think it is really good for music. So much so that I have sold my ZX2. There was no meaningful difference in sound quality and both have low powered headphone outputs. The Oppo has Dolby Atmos eq, which isn't actually too bad, not as good as Neutron, but still quite acceptable. With a good set of iems, I personally don't think you need anymore than this, unless you need to drive headphones or harder to drive iems.

I see. From this point of view , can we say all devices that have snapdragon 665 have same sound quality? Or does better snapdragon processor(for example 710) mean better sound quality?

Feb 1, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #3,122 of 5,166
I see. From this point of view , can we say all devices that have snapdragon 665 have same sound quality? Or does better snapdragon processor(for example 710) mean better sound quality?

I would imagine so, but I haven't heard other devices with this dac so can't confirm. Things like dsp could change the sound of the same chip?

I doubt better snapdragon processors will result in audibly better sound. Once a dac is audibly transparent it is "transparent"? Even if another dac has better measurements such SNR or THD, if you can't hear it, then you have to ask what the point is? I am not saying the 710 isn't "technically" better in the sense that it may measure better, but even if it does measure better that does not mean it will sound better.

Feb 4, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #3,123 of 5,166
Advice needed here.
ATM I'm using ancient Huawei Mate 9, the phone serves me well but that dac in it is honestly pretty bad and with my IEMs I get lot of noise. I've been looking into mid range DAPs like DX160 or M11 but they all have the same problem being too powerful for my very sensitive IEMs Fearless S8F (113 dB, 15 ohm) and they hiss with both DAPs and other powerful sources. To get hiss free experience I've been using ES100 and been happy with its black background and decent sound quality via 990k LDAC but it's still lossy.
But since it's time for a phone upgrade it's only logical to go for LG V series. Current price of V50 is in my range but having V60 announced for the end of February and released probably in May I'm not sure do I wait for V60 or to go for V50? Note that I will have to wait for few months more for the price to drop a bit, 1k+ is a bit too much for a phone imo.
Nothing is certain about the specs of the V60 but this video makes me wanna wait.
S8F sound sig suits me perfectly and I really don't wanna change them especially after I upgraded the cable to a almost $200 Electro Acousti 99% Silver + 7n OCC Copper (175 in hakuzen list) . This combo is insane.
Any info about the V50 + S8F sinergy? Last night I almost bought DX160 and ifi iematch, but I figure in my case its much better and cheaper to stick with LG V series.
Check the prediction for V60, if true its going to be truly amazing device

Feb 4, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #3,124 of 5,166
Advice needed here.
ATM I'm using ancient Huawei Mate 9, the phone serves me well but that dac in it is honestly pretty bad and with my IEMs I get lot of noise. I've been looking into mid range DAPs like DX160 or M11 but they all have the same problem being too powerful for my very sensitive IEMs Fearless S8F (113 dB, 15 ohm) and they hiss with both DAPs and other powerful sources. To get hiss free experience I've been using ES100 and been happy with its black background and decent sound quality via 990k LDAC but it's still lossy.
But since it's time for a phone upgrade it's only logical to go for LG V series. Current price of V50 is in my range but having V60 announced for the end of February and released probably in May I'm not sure do I wait for V60 or to go for V50? Note that I will have to wait for few months more for the price to drop a bit, 1k+ is a bit too much for a phone imo.
Nothing is certain about the specs of the V60 but this video makes me wanna wait.
S8F sound sig suits me perfectly and I really don't wanna change them especially after I upgraded the cable to a almost $200 Electro Acousti 99% Silver + 7n OCC Copper (175 in hakuzen list) . This combo is insane.
Any info about the V50 + S8F sinergy? Last night I almost bought DX160 and ifi iematch, but I figure in my case its much better and cheaper to stick with LG V series.

I voted lg v50. It will have no hiss for sure. I think you dont need to wait v60. Since the first price sold would be ridiculously high and that price can buy second hand dx220 already...

Feb 4, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #3,125 of 5,166
Advice needed here.

Get a phone with a Quallcomm SoC the sound of my Asus RoG Phone 2 is really good and has not hissed with anything iems I've attached to it. The sound quality is really musical and not analytical. Very positive experience.

Lg series phones of course would be good too, since they have better amps to go louder. I find my old v30 LG implementation gives a more analytical tonality, that contrasts to the musical feeling of my Asus RoG Phone 2 (Snapdragon 855's dac solution).

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #3,126 of 5,166
Yeah I know it's going to be very expensive but in few months price should be around acceptable 500-700 mark.
Right now with the mate 9 I have 6+128 gb that's why somehow V50 doesn't seem like an upgrade, (it is I know). Since I don't stream music (or rarely) that 512gb on board + 512gb card storage sounds very appealing. Along with the other specs... V60 is just more future proof.
But I think V50 or V60 is the question only I can answer.
Only question remains is there a source that can elevate S8F sound quality to another level? After having owned ifi xdsd till 2 days ago I don't know. To my ears only hiss elevated with xdsd + S8F combo.

Feb 4, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #3,127 of 5,166
Let me correct myself, with xdsd I get very audible hiss, while with mate 9 it's more like interference, crackling noise. My wife's redmi note 7 has less of that noise but still audible. The problem is I live in Malta and here we don't have any phones to demo unless it's Samsung, Apple or Xiaomi. It's even worse with audio equipment, there is nothing to demo. So I have to relly entirely on comments / reviews
So I have to be very certain about ROG or any other phone...

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #3,129 of 5,166
is there a difference between LG G8x, LG v50 dual screen, in sound quality, or it is better to wait for the new LG V60

any other top contenders for best audio experience with flagship specs

Feb 9, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #3,130 of 5,166
Just purchased the uapp pro and soundwise its better than both poweramp and hiby but...

Its glitchy af and slow and the interface seems outdated yet again, I cant find the features I always use on poweramp like recently added, folder hierarchy, etc.. Also when I clearing apps it stops playing, unlike poweramp or hiby which is persistent which I prefer, with that said, is there any way to keep in running even after clearing apps?

Edit: I gave up, went for a refund instead, cant sacrifice useful interface for a bit of a sound quality increase :frowning2:

Sound impression (bit perfect): lean bass (maybe balanced similar to neutron) and sparkler highs, actually it reminds me of how my g7 sounded, vocals are placed much broader than the centric placement of other players, soundstage width actually sounded a bit wider too. Resolution wise, I cant really tell the difference between a 32bit vs 24bit audio, but maybe the MQA might do a significant difference.
To me UAPP has the best sound. Sounding unprocessed due to bit-perfect, and luv the transparency and clarity. The interface gotten so good over the years, now with added in app parametric EQ, tonebooster, and Tidal in bit-perfect. I don't like the sound of Neutron or Power amp, or other apps as they sound like there some processing going on.

I have no issue with ui, or it's response speed. I actually like that the app disappears when I close it. I could why it could annoying for some. You should ask about turning off this feature in the UAPP thread.

Feb 9, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #3,131 of 5,166
is there a difference between LG G8x, LG v50 dual screen, in sound quality, or it is better to wait for the new LG V60

any other top contenders for best audio experience with flagship specs
If you are looking for compact on a phone, LG phones are OK, but something like Mojo as external DAC will sound better over the sabre chip. It is a simple chip implementation, and shouldn't expect much from that.

I'm sure the new one will be the same Sabre chip inside, not much difference. There shouldn't be a difference sound with the Sabre chips.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #3,132 of 5,166
If you are looking for compact on a phone, LG phones are OK, but something like Mojo as external DAC will sound better over the sabre chip. It is a simple chip implementation, and shouldn't expect much from that.

I'm sure the new one will be the same Sabre chip inside, not much difference. There shouldn't be a difference sound with the Sabre chips.
i am not expecting the phone to sound better than a mojo, but it sucks that most companies are ditching the headphone jack in their flagship devices. Dam apple for always leading the tech to what is so radical, and then the others follow like sheep. And then to just screw more with design they sticks tons of cameras at the back making the whole thing look ugly

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #3,133 of 5,166
Maybe you need usb c dac. :wink:

Feb 9, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #3,134 of 5,166
Maybe you need usb c dac. :wink:
i guess that is the only way to go about it, any advise which is the best out there now, as there countless options now

Feb 9, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #3,135 of 5,166
i am not expecting the phone to sound better than a mojo, but it sucks that most companies are ditching the headphone jack in their flagship devices. Dam apple for always leading the tech to what is so radical, and then the others follow like sheep. And then to just screw more with design they sticks tons of cameras at the back making the whole thing look ugly
Yeah, I hate it too. I was thinking about something really important for calls, the inline mic! If we use airpods or true wireless earphones, the mic performance is really crappy. I hope we don't go complete true wireless as at least BeatsX has inline mic although wireless. The mic has to be near the mouth for good coherency of the voice. It's a really bad trend that causes bad mic performances. I do use AirPods Pro for on the go lately due to ANC, but I also have to carry a wired iem with inline mic for phone calls because true wireless mics are crappy!

The reason why Apple went ahead with it is to increase room inside the phone, and other phone manufacturers followed suit. Financially, it was really to sell airpods or beats wireless! The sales of Airpods itself can be a Fortune 500 company! That's how big Airpods sales are. They will never go back to wired due to this. And this statistic will not convince companies to go wired.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back