Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jan 25, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #3,091 of 5,166
good afternoon After testing the LG V50 by also testing LG G7, I decided to return the LG V50.

I explain;
The G7 has more output power, with a more aggressive, spatial sound that wraps much more. The stereo image is much larger.

However, the v50 has a more relaxed, more detailed sound, but it seems a more boring sound. It is less powerful. As far as audio, camera, screen and others are concerned, the V50 wins a lot.

I have done all the tests with astell kern ak9ie and fiio fh1 headphones. Greetings

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #3,092 of 5,166
good afternoon After testing the LG V50 by also testing LG G7, I decided to return the LG V50.

I explain;
The G7 has more output power, with a more aggressive, spatial sound that wraps much more. The stereo image is much larger.

However, the v50 has a more relaxed, more detailed sound, but it seems a more boring sound. It is less powerful. As far as audio, camera, screen and others are concerned, the V50 wins a lot.

I have done all the tests with astell kern ak9ie and fiio fh1 headphones. Greetings

May I ask which phones and music do you listen more to?

Jan 25, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #3,094 of 5,166

I explain;

Which IEM you used for testing, i like relaxing sig

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #3,096 of 5,166

I explain;

In my experience with both phones, I could clearly say the v50 has much power tho, specially in the low impedance mode. But yes its more agressive sounding specially in the treble.

Jan 25, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #3,097 of 5,166
It makes me wonder bout as it was said that the V30 sounds more clinical compared to the V40/V50.
Now @larry piencenaves chimes in with his insist. ^^

Jan 25, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #3,098 of 5,166
It makes me wonder bout as it was said that the V30 sounds more clinical compared to the V40/V50.
Now @larry piencenaves chimes in with his insist. ^^
Haha. I'm sure they are pretty much all the same with the simple Sabre chip implementation with the Sabre chip treble sounds (which I'm not a fan of). Simple Sabre implementation isn't really much of a difference from most simple smartphone headphone out. The power output maybe, but I found it to be just louder, that's about it. Didn't really find the drive to improve.

I wouldn't expect big improvements with these phones. The Sabre chip thing is more an advertisement thing to cause expectation bias. People will expect improvements because there's a audiophile chip inside.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #3,099 of 5,166
Haha. I'm sure they are pretty much all the same with the simple Sabre chip implementation with the Sabre chip treble sounds (which I'm not a fan of). Simple Sabre implementation isn't really much of a difference from most simple smartphone headphone out. The power output maybe, but I found it to be just louder, that's about it. Didn't really find the drive to improve.

I wouldn't expect big improvements with these phones. The Sabre chip thing is more an advertisement thing to cause expectation bias. People will expect improvements because there's a audiophile chip inside.

You're right, imo.
There shouldn't be much improvenment at the end.
Wished LG would use a AKM chip, which suits my listening better. :)

Jan 26, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #3,100 of 5,166
You're right, imo.
There shouldn't be much improvenment at the end.
Wished LG would use a AKM chip, which suits my listening better. :)

That goes the same with the ibasso dx120, had akm dac chip but doesnt sound like one..

Real experience is better than a random guess, Ill say try the v50 first and then you decide :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #3,101 of 5,166
I know.
Every high end dac can go worst with bad implementation. Nothing new. :)

I'll try anything i'm interested in before i make a decision. That's the major rule with Hi-Fi. :wink:

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #3,102 of 5,166
Just purchased the uapp pro and soundwise its better than both poweramp and hiby but...

Its glitchy af and slow and the interface seems outdated yet again, I cant find the features I always use on poweramp like recently added, folder hierarchy, etc.. Also when I clearing apps it stops playing, unlike poweramp or hiby which is persistent which I prefer, with that said, is there any way to keep in running even after clearing apps?

Edit: I gave up, went for a refund instead, cant sacrifice useful interface for a bit of a sound quality increase :frowning2:

Sound impression (bit perfect): lean bass (maybe balanced similar to neutron) and sparkler highs, actually it reminds me of how my g7 sounded, vocals are placed much broader than the centric placement of other players, soundstage width actually sounded a bit wider too. Resolution wise, I cant really tell the difference between a 32bit vs 24bit audio, but maybe the MQA might do a significant difference.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #3,103 of 5,166
Nearly one week since i received my Xplay 5S.
And I must admit that it sounds equally to my Xplay 6 , it's amazing.

Soundstage, level of detail, vocals … they are hard to distinguish at first, but after some time, one thing comes forward: treble.
They are so clean and clear on Xplay 5S that details are even easier to hear.
It was obvious with the Focal Elegia and even more with the Listen Pro.

With the Listen Pro, you can hear anything effortlessly, and with Xplay 5S, it’s even clearer than Xplay 6.
You hear literally everything, without any concentration and the treble are not too bright or harsh.
I'm kind of surprised that i still discover new details that i didn't notice with the 6 !

The string of beat in Pharrel's Caught Out There instrumental change the perception of the song , like , before i wasn't a huge fan of that track , but now , i like to hear it more often !
There are also vocals of Missy Elliott when she's whispering in somes of her songs , hidden behind other vocals or instruments , themselves hidden behind something else , that are difficult to notice with 6 without knowing they exists !

Just to be clear , those details are present but less easy to hear with 6.

This point makes me prefer the 5S over the 6 as i find the 5S more neutral than the 6.

Xplay 6 is a little more powerful than Xplay 5S.
I need to set volume in iMusic to 75 – 80 % for a comfortable listening (5S) , while with Xplay 6, i set it to 60 % and volume is already loud.

Also , no hardware DSD support for Xplay 5S :

No-DSD.png

Really not a big deal to me.

Xplay 6 & Xplay 5S are equal to me, and in the end, it’s a question of preference between a more neutral presentation and a little warm one.
Xplay 6 is a perfect match for Focal Elegia , so is the Listen Pro with Xplay 5S.

Jan 29, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #3,104 of 5,166
Nearly one week since i received my Xplay 5S.
And I must admit that it sounds equally to my Xplay 6 , it's amazing.

Soundstage, level of detail, vocals … they are hard to distinguish at first, but after some time, one thing comes forward: treble.
They are so clean and clear on Xplay 5S that details are even easier to hear.
It was obvious with the Focal Elegia and even more with the Listen Pro.

With the Listen Pro, you can hear anything effortlessly, and with Xplay 5S, it’s even clearer than Xplay 6.
You hear literally everything, without any concentration and the treble are not too bright or harsh.
I'm kind of surprised that i still discover new details that i didn't notice with the 6 !

The string of beat in Pharrel's Caught Out There instrumental change the perception of the song , like , before i wasn't a huge fan of that track , but now , i like to hear it more often !
There are also vocals of Missy Elliott when she's whispering in somes of her songs , hidden behind other vocals or instruments , themselves hidden behind something else , that are difficult to notice with 6 without knowing they exists !

Just to be clear , those details are present but less easy to hear with 6.

This point makes me prefer the 5S over the 6 as i find the 5S more neutral than the 6.

Xplay 6 is a little more powerful than Xplay 5S.
I need to set volume in iMusic to 75 – 80 % for a comfortable listening (5S) , while with Xplay 6, i set it to 60 % and volume is already loud.

Also , no hardware DSD support for Xplay 5S :

No-DSD.png

Really not a big deal to me.

Xplay 6 & Xplay 5S are equal to me, and in the end, it’s a question of preference between a more neutral presentation and a little warm one.
Xplay 6 is a perfect match for Focal Elegia , so is the Listen Pro with Xplay 5S.

Awesome! I would like to have one but can't find a good price one.

Jan 29, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #3,105 of 5,166
Thx for awesome review, how it compares with LG v40.

I assume LG phones are king of HiFI audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back