Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jan 22, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #3,076 of 5,166
Hello again guys, just wanna share my thoughts on this players I tried on the v50 and I also wanna ask if we hear the same thing, coz I might be crazy or something xD.

LG music player:
-Sounds dead flat, clean, no bloat or anything, all is good but gets boring after a while. Moderate volume output.

Hiby:
-Same to lg stock music player but sounds more livelier in a way. Moderate volume output.

Neutron- Following Source frequency, 32bit output(IEEE 754) ON, 64bit processing and DSP and everything in audio hardware option are turned OFF:
-Deep subbass no coloration in midbass, also clean vocals, treble sounded more polite compared to others, generally more forgiving, has the lowest volume output.

Poweramp:
-OpenSl ES and Audiotrack output- vocals get thrown out at the back of the presentation but it doesnt elevate the bass and treble, lower volume output.
-Hires output- In general; it bumps up the midbass but doesnt sound muddy, vocals may also go forward at times due to its strong vocal center imaging, elevated and/or thin sounding lower treble, has this "ch" artifact but not sibilant, has the loudest volume output. Jumping at 24bit/384khz this is the point where Im starting to like the sound, still has the similar issues but less prominent.

Onkyo hf player unpaid/ Fiio music player:
-Sounds ok, on the neutral side like lg stock, but didn't bother to play more with them because of the bad interface so I dont know their full potential.

If im to rank them based on sound quality alone ill put it like:

Hiby > Poweramp (hires upsampled 24bit/384khz) = Neutron (bit perfect settings) > LG stock music player and others.

Both Poweramp and Neutron clearly adds their own flavor in the sound output tho Im liking the Poweramp a little bit more.

For user interface its a landslide victory to Poweramp, very well executed imho, super easy to navigate and I can use it at full potential, Hiby is somewhat good, if only it scans music properly, creating playlist and not scanning all my music in different folder levels is crappy. Neutron is fine but unintuitive compared to poweramp, also retro looking. Lg stock player is bland, Others are meh.

Now with that said, is it really worth to give the Uapp a try? Does it have good and useful ui like poweramp?

Try
32 bit output off
64 bit processing on.

It is better for neutron.

And yeah need to try UAPP. Super clean sound natural timbre.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #3,077 of 5,166
You are right on Neutron. I have both paid versions of Neutron and UAPP.

The UAPP seems to be harsh than Newtron but its soundstages is wider.

Hello again guys, just wanna share my thoughts on this players I tried on the v50 and I also wanna ask if we hear the same thing, coz I might be crazy or something xD.

LG music player:
-Sounds dead flat, clean, no bloat or anything, all is good but gets boring after a while. Moderate volume output.

Hiby:
-Same to lg stock music player but sounds more livelier in a way. Moderate volume output.

Neutron- Following Source frequency, 32bit output(IEEE 754) ON, 64bit processing and DSP and everything in audio hardware option are turned OFF:
-Deep subbass no coloration in midbass, also clean vocals, treble sounded more polite compared to others, generally more forgiving, has the lowest volume output.

Poweramp:
-OpenSl ES and Audiotrack output- vocals get thrown out at the back of the presentation but it doesnt elevate the bass and treble, lower volume output.
-Hires output- In general; it bumps up the midbass but doesnt sound muddy, vocals may also go forward at times due to its strong vocal center imaging, elevated and/or thin sounding lower treble, has this "ch" artifact but not sibilant, has the loudest volume output. Jumping at 24bit/384khz this is the point where Im starting to like the sound, still has the similar issues but less prominent.

-Sounds ok, on the neutral side like lg stock, but didn't bother to play more with them because of the bad interface so I dont know their full potential.

Hiby > Poweramp (hires upsampled 24bit/384khz) = Neutron (bit perfect settings) > LG stock music player and others.

Both Poweramp and Neutron clearly adds their own flavor in the sound output tho Im liking the Poweramp a little bit more.

For user interface its a landslide victory to Poweramp, very well executed imho, super easy to navigate and I can use it at full potential, Hiby is somewhat good, if only it scans music properly, creating playlist and not scanning all my music in different folder levels is crappy. Neutron is fine but unintuitive compared to poweramp, also retro looking. Lg stock player is bland, Others are meh.

Now with that said, is it really worth to give the Uapp a try? Does it have good and useful ui like poweramp?

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #3,078 of 5,166
Try
32 bit output off
64 bit processing on.

It is better for neutron.

And yeah need to try UAPP. Super clean sound natural timbre.

Just tried it, i hear a less drier sound(?) but the difference between them is minuscule..Ok I think its time to give UAPP a try, btw how good is the ui? Is it comparable to poweramp?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #3,081 of 5,166
Just discovered something on poweramps hires output behavior, looks like too much upsampling is unnecessary. So I added an edit info.

LG music player:

Hiby:

Poweramp:
-Hires output- In general; it bumps up the midbass but doesnt sound muddy, vocals may also go forward at times due to its strong vocal center imaging, elevated and/or thin sounding lower treble, has this "ch" artifact but not sibilant, has the loudest volume output.

Edit:

Played a little more with poweramps hires output and discovered something, when using the hires output its better to match the sample rate rather than upsampling it straight to 384khz. It will deliver the same audio quality to hiby and would lower the volume output significantly. Most of my music has a sample rate of 44.1khz, upsampling it to 48khz will still sound quite similar to 44.1khz sampling, but going up to 88khz and above thats how you will hear the issues I have stated above.

Therefore;

Hiby=Poweramp>Neutron>Lg music player and others.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #3,083 of 5,166
It is not that it is wider. But UAPP is making each instrumental separation better gap so it may sound wider because you hear clearer note. :)

Jan 22, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #3,085 of 5,166
I am a crazy guy too who love music from smartphone as well as from android DAP. It is fun to try and enjoy variable devices in the world.

I like using DAP for physical button and knobs. vol, pause, play, skip.

Jan 23, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #3,086 of 5,166
is there any changes in tuning between V40 and V50, I was planing to get it as I dropped and broke my V40 glass

Jan 23, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #3,088 of 5,166
is there any changes in tuning between V40 and V50

No...i sincerely doubt it. Same 9218P chip and same tuner (Meridian) should make for same sound quality. Everything from G8/V40 up should sound equivalent. Certainly not enough of a difference to warrant the significant price hike.

Jan 23, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #3,089 of 5,166
Ok then, will get one more v40 it's cheaper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back