Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jan 13, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #3,031 of 5,166
I

I made use of Poweramp, foobar2k, player pro, Usb player pro, Neutron MP, Aimp, Hiby and Onkyo HF as the best sounding music players (from much more options) with my Fiio Dap and S8 with USB audio cable and balanced for IEM's with and without portable amp.

I choosed Onkyo HF paid version (a little expensive maybe, but for me worth it) for audio quality even if the parametric Eq from UAPP and Neutron are better (no need of Eq right now) the UI is simple and not too much configurable. If USB audio quality is the most important for you then Onkyo HF is a good option.

Hiby is good, I only make use of Sibilance reduction, but give me some errors with both Dap and smartphone. Sound quality is nice.

Want to know an opinion about S10+ and G8 ThinQ or incoming new alternatives.

Don't buy S10+ for sound. G8 would be better option for sound.

Jan 13, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #3,032 of 5,166
Hello again, just wanna share my final thoughts on v50, against the g7.

-better detection consitency on impedance output changes

-fuller sounding vocals

-better subbass extension and decay

-smoother upper treble

-more powerful low impedance output

-louder volume; its like 45 on the g7 to 40-42 on v50

-better depth on soundstage, cant really tell if its wider though

-better instrument separation/ imaging

-overall a much livelier tuning by meridian

Hope this will help. Happy listening everyone

Jan 14, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #3,033 of 5,166
Hello again, just wanna share my final thoughts on v50, against the g7.

-better detection consitency on impedance output changes

-fuller sounding vocals

-better subbass extension and decay

-smoother upper treble

-more powerful low impedance output

-louder volume; its like 45 on the g7 to 40-42 on v50

-better depth on soundstage, cant really tell if its wider though

-better instrument separation/ imaging

-overall a much livelier tuning by meridian

Hope this will help. Happy listening everyone

You may want to test it against sony zx507. I think V50 is really doing close performance to this DAP!

Jan 14, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #3,034 of 5,166
You may want to test it against sony zx507. I think V50 is really doing close performance to this DAP!

Unfortunately theres limited sony booths in my place and only showcases their smartphones, so the only option is to purchase the zx507 to try it out :frowning2:

but if you say so that they are on par, I dont doubt it :wink:

Meridian should've tuned that dac in the first place, its like they totally harnessed the true potential of that quad dac.

Jan 15, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #3,035 of 5,166
I

I made use of Poweramp, foobar2k, player pro, Usb player pro, Neutron MP, Aimp, Hiby and Onkyo HF as the best sounding music players (from much more options) with my Fiio Dap and S8 with USB audio cable and balanced for IEM's with and without portable amp.

I choosed Onkyo HF paid version (a little expensive maybe, but for me worth it) for audio quality even if the parametric Eq from UAPP and Neutron are better (no need of Eq right now) the UI is simple and not too much configurable. If USB audio quality is the most important for you then Onkyo HF is a good option.

Hiby is good, I only make use of Sibilance reduction, but give me some errors with both Dap and smartphone. Sound quality is nice.

i feel a bit embarrassed because i'm not sure if usb audio quality refers to using a separated dac outside the phone. if it's that, then i don't need it because i'm listening just through smartphones audio jack and it`s inside audio hardware.

about hiby, i tried it and really like it. do i need to make some changes in settings to get the best audio output? i'm listening 16 bit, 44 khz flac and wav files. on the way to get lg v40

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #3,036 of 5,166
i feel a bit embarrassed because i'm not sure if usb audio quality refers to using a separated dac outside the phone. if it's that, then i don't need it because i'm listening just through smartphones audio jack and it`s inside audio hardware.

about hiby, i tried it and really like it. do i need to make some changes in settings to get the best audio output? i'm listening 16 bit, 44 khz flac and wav files. on the way to get lg v40

Dont need to set anything. There wont be anything to set anyway.

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #3,038 of 5,166
does it mean hiby can`t compete with uapp or neutron in terms of sound quality?
I didnt mean that. It just has nothing to adjust.

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #3,039 of 5,166
does it mean hiby can`t compete with uapp or neutron in terms of sound quality?

Technically, Neutron is by far the best in terms of performance and audio tweaking. UAPP is great but the changes are cosmetic and it still doesn't really bypass the internal hardware (at least the system logs suggest that). Although, affordability is one point where the buck stops IMO. If you are not rooted, then Neutron is probably the best bet to get unadulterated sound out of one's Android device. I'm using Hiby player with it's DAC+Amp W3 and it does make significant difference to audio performance. So in short all 3 serve their own purpose and it's completely up to the user to choose one basis their requirements

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #3,041 of 5,166
i dont buy the v50 because i dont love 2 screens..

how is the galaxy s9 SQ?
You could take the single screen version of the V50.
No need to go dual. :wink:

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #3,043 of 5,166
wow thanks. what the model name with 1 screen?

how is the v50 vs g8vs galaxy s9 sq? high diffrent?
LM-V500 it don't got the pins on the back.

But it's better to look at the EAN.
  • EAN

• EAN (Dual Display)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #3,044 of 5,166
wow thanks. what the model name with 1 screen?

how is the v50 vs g8vs galaxy s9 sq? high diffrent?
I wouldn't invest into companies and models that use any kind of notch, but it's just me being angry.

Better ASUS ROG 2 dual stereo, 6000mah, but audio reviews non existing so it might suck in audio.

Nexus S is 200€ now, easy pick.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back