Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jan 4, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #3,001 of 5,166
Using LG G8, I find there's a rather significant difference using airplane mode. Smoother with more detail. Using UAPP :)

I always use airplane mode since I used it as mini DAP. Still use S10+ for daily phone.

Jan 6, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #3,002 of 5,166
I always use airplane mode since I used it as mini DAP. Still use S10+ for daily phone.

Wait does airplane mode really affects how the dac behaves tho?...anways Ive also sold my g7 for a v50 a few weeks back and even tho the difference is minimal I say its an upgrade, tuning wise. Specially in the bass department. Also agrees with the v50 lacking in smoothness more so in treble, same goes to g7.

Jan 6, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #3,003 of 5,166
Wait does airplane mode really affects how the dac behaves tho?...anways Ive also sold my g7 for a v50 a few weeks back and even tho the difference is minimal I say its an upgrade, tuning wise. Specially in the bass department. Also agrees with the v50 lacking in smoothness more so in treble, same goes to g7.

I think it is smoother than when I tried LG V30+ back last year. So I believe it is balance between smoothness and detail/treble not sacrficing.

Airplane mode helps in reducing signal interruption with electronic part.

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #3,004 of 5,166
How V50 bass is different from G7? Is it quantity or extension you are talking about? Please also give your feedback on G7 battery. Can it sustain a day with normal usage with wifi on?

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #3,005 of 5,166
Could you help me guys? I am thinking of buying an LG V20 H910 or V30 H931 but i am not sure which will give me better sound. I have heard that V30 has newer version of 9218P dac but i could not find any other model than 9218P on essabre page. V30 does support MQA which i do not use any way. I am also curious if i will have to use impedance adapter with my 32 ohm iems or if is it possible to change something in software to always have max output. Are there any other root audio tweaks i will have to do?

Or maybe there is phone which is in similiar price range and does not require any root mods? I would buy xplay 6 but it is not available anymore.

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #3,006 of 5,166
How V50 bass is different from G7? Is it quantity or extension you are talking about? Please also give your feedback on G7 battery. Can it sustain a day with normal usage with wifi on?

bass on the g7 is somewhat leaner when compared to v50, subbass also digs deeper, also I think instrument separation is better on the v50(?) Im not really sure since I already sold my g7. In my ears the v50 is a worthy upgrade both tuning and technicality. I remember posting my initial impressions on the g7 and stated that its somewhat lacking or boring, On the v50 tho I think it got a better first impression on me. I say the v50 sounded fuller vs g7, never heard of v30 tho.

About battery life, g7 is meh, mostly 5.5 hours on heavy use. 6-7 hours moderate, but you could easily go a day with it if you only use it for music playback. v50 does have better battery life and could go easily for 8 hours on heavy usage, although I really missed how the g7 feels in the hand, much more comfortable due to its compact size and the screen, even if its an lcd technology, its amazingly good (and brighter), there are even times that I prefer that panel over oled of the v50, and you dont have to mind the screen burn potential.

Just wanna add if you care about this, camera on the v50 is way superior on the g7, seems like the v50 has better software support on their cameras.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #3,007 of 5,166
Using LG G8, I find there's a rather significant difference using airplane mode. Smoother with more detail. Using UAPP :)

Oh. I am using Lg V50 with UAPP but i always stream via tidal, and i don't really want to start downloading lots of things to storage. I guess i can test run an album or two on download and see if i notice a difference, but have you personally noticed the improvement only from full airplane mode or can you leave wifi on but turn everything else of manually ....or wifi off and stream via 4g. Just wondered whether you experimented with partial signal interference. Thanks!

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #3,008 of 5,166
Could you help me guys? I am thinking of buying an LG V20 H910 or V30 H931 but i am not sure which will give me better sound. I have heard that V30 has newer version of 9218P dac but i could not find any other model than 9218P on essabre page. V30 does support MQA which i do not use any way. I am also curious if i will have to use impedance adapter with my 32 ohm iems or if is it possible to change something in software to always have max output. Are there any other root audio tweaks i will have to do?

Or maybe there is phone which is in similiar price range and does not require any root mods? I would buy xplay 6 but it is not available anymore.

It depends on your use case.
If you want to buy a V-Series Phone for music playback, i'd recommend V20 because of it's changeable battery.
Quad-dac is still the same as on V30.

Why you want to trigger high gain mode with iems? Is the sensitivity of your iems that bad?
For iems greater 100db of sensitivity, you don`t need that much power to get the sound great, especially at 32 ohms.

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #3,009 of 5,166
@Chris Kaoss
according to some tests on audiosciencereview, this DAC can output really little power with load <=50 before clipping.
10407079_thumb.png

my iems: xba-N3ap 32 ohms 105dB/mW

Attachments

• LG G7 ThinQ headphone power vs load Measurement.png
    LG G7 ThinQ headphone power vs load Measurement.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 0
Jan 6, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #3,010 of 5,166
@Chris Kaoss
according to some tests on audiosciencereview, this DAC can output really little power with load <=50 before clipping.
10407079_thumb.png

my iems: xba-N3ap 32 ohms 105dB/mW

Sure, but you don't need to go far beyond 120db, i think.
It'll destroy your hearing, or the iems itself. The V-series doesn't bother with, i guess.

So output power on hifi mode should be fine. :wink:
If you need more, there's always a way up with LG Phones.

T

Jan 6, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #3,012 of 5,166
Once enabled, it will always start when you plug in your iems or any cable u want to use with.

Jan 6, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #3,013 of 5,166
Also, it seems the V50 and G8 are the last LG's to have ESS Sabre DAC's. They've quietly replaced ESS with Qualcomm's quad DAC in the G8X and V50S. As far as I can tell.

I very much doubt that is the case--both of those new phones I'm sure use the same 9218P ESS chip they've been using since the V10. The diffference is that the G8/V40 and up are now tuned by audio masters Meridian (of DVD-Audio fame) instead of B&O and therefore have a noticeably smoother sound over the V30/G7 and earlier models. That will also answer another question someone asked previously in here as to why the V30 line sounded leaner...

Jan 7, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #3,015 of 5,166
You guys are always forgetting to add the headphones and tracks used for any tests or comparisons.
I use the following headphones: Focal Clear, Beyerdynamic Xelento and CustomArt FIBAE4. All of them are easy to drive and this makes my life so much easier for source selection.
Mobile sources have a combination of DAC AND amplification that form the sound quality and usually DAC is not the issue...

Tested LG G8X, LG V50, Vivo NEX 3 and Sony WM1A at home. I used Tidal HIFI and same track on Sony in FLAC 16Bit 44khz for comparison.

WM1A is the reference here, warmish full sound with broad/3D soundstage.
LG V50 - very nice sounding, probably best sound in mobile phones. Very light background noise when switching tracks with very sensitive IEMs.
LG G8X is pretty much identical with V50. I can not hear any difference.
Vivo NEX 3 - probably most underappreciated phone in terms of sound. Sounds nearly as good as V50 with maybe slightly less details around highs but with really black background, no noises what so ever! Somebody was writing that it's not as good as V50 but I am happy to challenge that. Probably it does not have the power of V50 but in terms of sound quality for low-impedance headphones definitely same. And as a phone it's miles ahead.

I have also tested Huawei Mate 30 but it's far away from any of the above to be even considered as HIFI source. I hate trend to remove 3,5mm jack so much...

I am expecting IFI nano black to be delivered today, so really look forward to test it too. I will use it as my desktop DAC and probably with my Tab S6 tablet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back