Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jun 19, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #1,517 of 5,166
Anybody know how v30 compares to g7?

Jun 20, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #1,520 of 5,166
just got my v30+ today, and just played songs from spotify, and i cant see the equalizer option :frowning2: i only got streaming quality and download quality under Music Quality of Spotify settings :frowning2:

That sucks. Apparently, the V30 doesn't have a built in EQ. I just got the s9+. It sounds great, and has a classic 9 band EQ. My Note 5 also sounds great, and has a 7 band EQ.

I was considering the V30 or LGG7, but no EQ kills that option for me. I think the G7 has an EQ, but if it's not as good as the s9+ (at least 5-7 bands, and customizable), then it's a no go, The Quad DAC is cool if you want to rock headphones over 50ohms, but most of the time, the highest ohms I'd use for portable are my M40x's (and that's when I'm home hanging out. On the go, I'd prob never notice the benefits of the quad dad. I'd be using BT earbuds prob). - If you need a built in EQ for things like Spotify, get an s9/9+. It still sounds great. Just prob not as great as the G7 with home/studio/leisure styled overear HP's with high impedance.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #1,521 of 5,166
I'd like to ask if Vivo smartphones have some kind of fine volume adjustements (like Meizu) or only the 15 stardard android?

Yes. Use volume slider to fine tune 30 steps.

Hi artpiggo

Is there any particular reason why you don't recommend LG V10 ?

Too cold sound signature. I think V20 is more natural.

Jun 20, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #1,522 of 5,166
Funny. My (B&O admittedly) V10 sounds fuller/warmer than my more precise V20. But after 18 months use no more wifi access with the V10. Reliability issues with bad soldering of the chips on the phone motherboard. Avoid especially 2nd hand V10. No issues with V20.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #1,523 of 5,166
@artpiggo

Ok thanks !

Funny. My (B&O admittedly) V10 sounds fuller/warmer than my more precise V20. But after 18 months use no more wifi access with the V10. Reliability issues with bad soldering of the chips on the phone motherboard. Avoid especially 2nd hand V10. No issues with V20.

I've read a lot about those issues especially the bootloop of death ...

Too bad , there are cheap V10 around 140 € :cry:

Jun 20, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #1,524 of 5,166
I have had my LG G7 ThinQ since June 2 or 3. It was the first day available from Verizon, don't remember that exact date. Price was $699.
I don't have near the experience with cellphones or headphones than almost all of the rest of you. I only have a Shozy Zero and Creative Arvana Live.
The notch doesn't bother me. I just don't notice it
The battery life is very, very good. This might be relative to my eighteen month old HTC10 having terrible battery life. The HTC would get hot while watching video and charging at the same time, and then it would throttle down. I don't think I could reasonably ask for better battery life.
Sound: This phone sounds effin' fantastic. It is "head and shoulders" over the HTC 10. No comparison. It took me just a short while to determine this. I need to hear familiar pieces of music and a selection of bass, tinkly little bells, and ladies singing voices, etc. to be sure I am really hearing an improvement. AND get this; I did not have the Quad DAC engaged. That's right, for whatever reason, the Quad was not turned on. Turned on produced a quite noticeable improvement. The HTC 10 was a warm sounding phone. Subjectively, "warm" now translates to me as less separation, definition, frequency range, and less general spaciousness.
The G7 has three filters: short (produces a more spatial and ambient sound), sharp (produces a more natural sound), slow (produces a clear sound". There are five "sound presets": normal, enhanced, detailed, live and bass. Suffice it to say there is much sound adjustment available in this phone. There are balance controls. There is a ten band equalizer. I seem to have gravitated to "sharp", "normal", and a level equalizer. I will adjust my use of the equalizer as I use phone more.
The phone has DTS-X 3D Surround. I have not used this much yet.
When you use Tidal go into My Collection, settings; and there it is, the "Holy Grail"; MQA. Stream in MQA and download in MQA. I can't say I hear much of a difference. I just have not experimented with it enough. MQA seems to stream fairly well in the remote location where I live. If the signal is weak it reverts to Hifi. I watch a lot of Youtube and some videos play with a :Hifi" icon in the settings bar at top of screen. I am listening to Lightin' Hopkin's "Broken Hearted Blues" on Neutron right now. Previously I was listening to my Shostakovitch playlist on Tidal. In the RAM 2500 Cummins I listen to Pandora through my JVC deck. Usually Bach in order to counter my road-rage tendencies.
Negatives: the button placement sucks on this phone. I imagine the LG ergonomics people slapped each other on the back and said, "Yeh, we really nailed it". Yeh, you really didn't. There is a Google Assistant button on the left that is just all too easy to inadvertently hit. You can not turn it off. This is disgusting. All you have to do is say, "ok, Google'. Why do we need a mofo'in dedicated button? I actually very briefly thought of returning this phone over the button placement. I can not operate this phone with one hand. I don't think anyone can. IMO LG nailed it when they had the buttons on the back. If memory serves, on my LG2 my index finger went to volume up-down, screen off-on, camera. Pick up a LG7 and check out the poor button placement. See where your fingers fall. I solved it by simply resigning myself to two handed operation. Tell me what you think. I think a child could have designed a better layout. Ok, it gripes me so much I have to go to my Faye Wong playlist on Tidal so I can calm down.
Camera: don't care. I don't work for National Geographic. It is good enough for me.

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #1,525 of 5,166
I have had my LG G7 ThinQ since June 2 or 3. It was the first day available from Verizon, don't remember that exact date. Price was $699.
I don't have near the experience with cellphones or headphones than almost all of the rest of you. I only have a Shozy Zero and Creative Arvana Live.
The notch doesn't bother me. I just don't notice it
The battery life is very, very good. This might be relative to my eighteen month old HTC10 having terrible battery life. The HTC would get hot while watching video and charging at the same time, and then it would throttle down. I don't think I could reasonably ask for better battery life.
Sound: This phone sounds effin' fantastic. It is "head and shoulders" over the HTC 10. No comparison. It took me just a short while to determine this. I need to hear familiar pieces of music and a selection of bass, tinkly little bells, and ladies singing voices, etc. to be sure I am really hearing an improvement. AND get this; I did not have the Quad DAC engaged. That's right, for whatever reason, the Quad was not turned on. Turned on produced a quite noticeable improvement. The HTC 10 was a warm sounding phone. Subjectively, "warm" now translates to me as less separation, definition, frequency range, and less general spaciousness.
The G7 has three filters: short (produces a more spatial and ambient sound), sharp (produces a more natural sound), slow (produces a clear sound". There are five "sound presets": normal, enhanced, detailed, live and bass. Suffice it to say there is much sound adjustment available in this phone. There are balance controls. There is a ten band equalizer. I seem to have gravitated to "sharp", "normal", and a level equalizer. I will adjust my use of the equalizer as I use phone more.
The phone has DTS-X 3D Surround. I have not used this much yet.
When you use Tidal go into My Collection, settings; and there it is, the "Holy Grail"; MQA. Stream in MQA and download in MQA. I can't say I hear much of a difference. I just have not experimented with it enough. MQA seems to stream fairly well in the remote location where I live. If the signal is weak it reverts to Hifi. I watch a lot of Youtube and some videos play with a :Hifi" icon in the settings bar at top of screen. I am listening to Lightin' Hopkin's "Broken Hearted Blues" on Neutron right now. Previously I was listening to my Shostakovitch playlist on Tidal. In the RAM 2500 Cummins I listen to Pandora through my JVC deck. Usually Bach in order to counter my road-rage tendencies.
Negatives: the button placement sucks on this phone. I imagine the LG ergonomics people slapped each other on the back and said, "Yeh, we really nailed it". Yeh, you really didn't. There is a Google Assistant button on the left that is just all too easy to inadvertently hit. You can not turn it off. This is disgusting. All you have to do is say, "ok, Google'. Why do we need a mofo'in dedicated button? I actually very briefly thought of returning this phone over the button placement. I can not operate this phone with one hand. I don't think anyone can. IMO LG nailed it when they had the buttons on the back. If memory serves, on my LG2 my index finger went to volume up-down, screen off-on, camera. Pick up a LG7 and check out the poor button placement. See where your fingers fall. I solved it by simply resigning myself to two handed operation. Tell me what you think. I think a child could have designed a better layout. Ok, it gripes me so much I have to go to my Faye Wong playlist on Tidal so I can calm down.
Camera: don't care. I don't work for National Geographic. It is good enough for me.

I got to hear the LGG7 today, with low impedance headphones, and compared with my s9+. For sure, the G7 sounded more detailed/separated/cleaner. This is with no benefit from the quad dac. Definitely go for the g7 if audio/headphones is top priority. The s9+ still sounds great, but the g7 does sound better.

Jun 21, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #1,526 of 5,166
few months back I was interested in GRANBEAT DP-CMX1 was wondering how is it regarded these days and if any can compare to a dap like fiio x5iii and ld v30

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #1,527 of 5,166
I have to admit that I find the sound quality from my LG G6 to be excellent when I do use it with wired headphones, though typically I use Bluetooth headphones so I'm actually hearing the internals on the headphones. Still, when I look at the performance of the G6 as tested it is no wonder that it sounds very good, and the differences with DACs are very, very small in my experience. As long as the DAC circuitry is well done it will sound quite good. I'm not saying that there are no differences, that would be a bold statement I would never make, but I do find the differences as I said to typically not be significant, more of a flavouring if you will. Love the G6 and thinking the G7 must be quite nice as well.

Jun 22, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #1,529 of 5,166
I got to hear the LGG7 today, with low impedance headphones, and compared with my s9+. For sure, the G7 sounded more detailed/separated/cleaner. This is with no benefit from the quad dac. Definitely go for the g7 if audio/headphones is top priority. The s9+ still sounds great, but the g7 does sound better.
Well s9 plus sound exactly the same like s8plus

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #1,530 of 5,166
What does this sentence mean? That quad dac of V30 has no benefit?

He uses bluetooth headphone. That's why there is no gained benefit from quad dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back