Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Mar 15, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #1,141 of 5,166
TBH I haven't heard of any hardware issues due to quality control (on forums etc). As far as I know there were software issues but again, I've joined the train when Nougat was out and it is close to perfect.
From my reading on mainly XDA and Reddit and an Aussie tech forum I think it's prone to some issues. I've only researched and had the device a few months though. I can say from personal experience the first I had had an intermittent buzz or crackle when listening on headphones. I got an exchange at the store for another new one, it's fingerprint sensor is dead after only around a month. I'm just living with it as I don't even use it for a phone but as a multimedia device and use smart lock for when at home. Plan on sending it in at some point for warranty

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #1,143 of 5,166
To those of you who has the vivo xplay6, do not update to the new software version( 71112). The new version changes the sound and it does not sound as good as the xplay6 used to. Or maybe it is just me?

I still didn't hear a noticeable change in SQ after upgrading. I have gone thru various songs that can test each part of frequency. Could you try rebooting the device and clear app cache? I wonder if it does affect.

Mar 16, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,144 of 5,166
From my reading on mainly XDA and Reddit and an Aussie tech forum I think it's prone to some issues. I've only researched and had the device a few months though. I can say from personal experience the first I had had an intermittent buzz or crackle when listening on headphones. I got an exchange at the store for another new one, it's fingerprint sensor is dead after only around a month. I'm just living with it as I don't even use it for a phone but as a multimedia device and use smart lock for when at home. Plan on sending it in at some point for warranty

Fair enough if this is your own experience. But every phone, every electronic device can be lemon - this no necessary means that all of them are, or they are prone to be low quality.
I'm looking at my Axon and tbh I haven't seen phone made as good as this one before.

Mar 16, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #1,145 of 5,166
Fair enough if this is your own experience. But every phone, every electronic device can be lemon - this no necessary means that all of them are, or they are prone to be low quality.
I'm looking at my Axon and tbh I haven't seen phone made as good as this one before.
My Axon 7 Mini is solid as a rock... so far. I have never had a phone this nicely made, including an older Samsung flagship, the Galaxy S4. Good performance at the time, but felt plasticy and cheap. Build quality on the Mini is so much better.

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #1,146 of 5,166
My Axon 7 Mini is solid as a rock... so far. I have never had a phone this nicely made, including an older Samsung flagship, the Galaxy S4. Good performance at the time, but felt plasticy and cheap. Build quality on the Mini is so much better.

How is the sound quality of the mini. The reviews I have read make is sound like the mini is nothing like the Axon 7

Mar 17, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #1,147 of 5,166
I'd already had the general impression upon researching about the Axon 7 before that it has quality control and longevity issues.

Yes, I'm fully aware of that. Just thought it was worth sharing my understanding and belief on the topic in interest of helping others. I also realise once some people value something personally they'll seek to defend it

Mar 17, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #1,148 of 5,166
I'd already had the general impression upon researching about the Axon 7 before that it has quality control and longevity issues.

Yes, I'm fully aware of that. Just thought it was worth sharing my understanding and belief on the topic in interest of helping others. I also realise once some people value something personally they'll seek to defend it

And fair play to you for sharing. You are right also in this that my opinion might be affected that I have perfectly working Axon and just love it in every aspect :)
Still I highly recommend getting one if someone is on a budget but looking for quality phone (sound wise and hardware wise). There aren't many options with flagship specs (maybe not the camera) under $250.

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #1,149 of 5,166
How is the sound quality of the mini. The reviews I have read make is sound like the mini is nothing like the Axon 7
I love the sound quality, but unfortunately, I don't have an Axon 7 to compare my mini to, so I can't answer your question from direct comparison.
To me, the sound is clear and evenly balanced with enough power to drive my headphones and earphones well, even my source-picky KZ ZS5v1s.
I have never had a source with deep black silence before. No hiss at all. It was really odd at first!
Quite an amazing bit of gear for the price, a real bargain. I'm sure (?) there may be phones with better sound out there at three to six times the price, but I have not heard one. At $125 on a GearBest flash sale, I couldn't ask for more.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #1,150 of 5,166
Previous Thread: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/best-smartphone-for-audiophile.662095/

Please help rectify my Table if spec is wrong. Any recommendation is welcomed.

Google Doc for Smartphone Table
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nhMd7oKzwauEanwUndqU5orN8T18JCm3VllomhTWqsc/edit?usp=sharing

Note: "Recommended" is based on my preference only.
- From 2013-2015, I use UE900 as reference.
- 2016-2017 I use 1964 U12 + Brimar Cable as reference.

Always take this list with a grain of salt.
Remember, you have no need to believe my opinion will be same as yours. :) You always have your own preference and ears to believe in yourself.

Note2: Price Range is just approximate number and might vary in different countries. For some devices, it is based on second hand price because I can't find the whole new one ever.

Inconvenient Truth

The best way to enjoy real and pure music is from Stock music player because it is the only way that software engineer can bypass android’s 48kHz sampling rate limitation and let you enjoy native sampling rate when 44.1KHz is using 22KHz clock and 48kHz or 96kHz are using 24kHz clock with no sampling rate converter. So it is the true sound that company proudly gives to you.

Good News: Neutron is supporting bit-perfect playback for most Hi-Res android device.
For those who own ESS, AKM chip based smartphone and love Neutron music player's simple UI with great Network Playing Functionality.
Please try setting in Audio Hardware Setting in the app by following http://neutronmp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4014
It is working really well with my vivo xplay6. It is bit-perfect playback and I really enjoyed it.
:)

Confirmed Devices:
Neutron Hi-Res setting support for vivo xplay6, Letv x900, meizu Pro5, All LG V series
Neutron Hi-Res setting not support for Lenovo vibe x3

Smartphone News / Leak
- LG V30 Audio Spec
http://www.lgnewsroom.com/2017/08/f...ening-thunder-lg-v30-delivers-tailored-hi-fi/

- Vivo might launch fingerprint sensor on screen in new model in MWC 2017 at Shanghai
http://www.bgr.in/news/vivo-teases-...ead-of-mwc-shanghai-2017-unveiling-next-week/

Good Posts / Discussions on Last "Best Smartphone for audiophile" Thread

- LG V20 vs Meizu Pro 5 mini review by yfei
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v20-sound-quality.816024/page-190#post-13698008

- Adapter to activating high gain in vivo xplay6 and aux mode in LG V20 and G6

Left: 3.5 to 2.5 adapter if your cable is terminated for balanced DAP
Right: use cable extender if you use normal 3.5 single end IEM

How Quad DAC in LG V20 and G6 works
http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v20-quad-dac-explained-713587/

Find new Smartphone Review on sound quality? Try search in
http://eng.soomal.com/edoc/index101000_0001_00.htm

Vivo will get Oreo update on x9, x20 series and xplay 6 launch in Apr 18
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5546180828

Ainur SAURON MK I.IV.II mod from XDA
Credit to @lantian
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...updated-sep-2017.853115/page-32#post-13768281
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...updated-sep-2017.853115/page-32#post-13766166

If you want to ask for Smartphone recommendation, please follow this format
Price range:
IEM/ Headphone used:
Screen size:
What kind of sound you wanna get: more warm? more detail? bigger soundstage?
What kind of music you mainly listen: Pop? Rock? EDM? Orchestra?
Special request: Need dual camera / higher than snapdragon 820 / No Chinese smartphone etc.
@artpiggo,

I wanted to suggest an update to your excellent spreadsheet:

The Axon 7 Mini actually uses a different chipset from the full-sized Axon 7. The 7 Mini has an AKM AK4962 with combined DAC/CODEC rather than the DAC (AK4490EN) /DSP CODEC (AK4961) pair in the Axon 7.

According to akm.com: "The AK4962 is the new, higher performing solution of the AK4961". The 4490EN/4961 was still used in the slightly older Axon 7 at the end of its production.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #1,151 of 5,166
When I got my Axon 7 Mini, I had visions of being able to combine the two phones I was carrying into the MINI, and have an SD card crammed with nice, clear FLAC files. My hopes were dashed when I learned the cruel reality that you could have a second SIM OR an SD card. Or were they?

Be prepared to let go of what you know as reality.

2 SIMS, SD.jpg

Quick pictorial on using one of the many dual sim card micro SD adapters available, since mine came with no instructions:

Product on AE: AliExpress
On Amazon: Amazon

Just two examples... they are available on eBay and from numerous other vendors...

Let's get started-

Shut off the phone and use the sim drawer tool (or a paperclip) to open and remove the drawer.

Where to put the gadget in your SIM drawer, bottom view-
20180319_114401.jpg

Top view-
20180319_114010.jpg

You can put a bit of cellophane tape on to keep the tiny SD and SIM from falling out while attempting to place the adapter. Don't put the tape on any of the metal contacts-
20180319_114451.jpg
Probably good to cut back on coffee temporarily when attempting this, lol. The cards are lightweight and like to fall out at any opportunity.

After assembly, REMOVE the cello tape while holding the cards in place with a fingertip so the tape won't gum up your phone.

Slide the drawer back into your phone, (carefully, so the cards stay in place).

What it should look like when closed-
20180319_113827.jpg

Slide the second SIM card into place, (don't worry, it only fits one way).
20180319_114525.jpg

You'll need a case to protect the SIM card and ribbon cable-
20180319_102616.jpg

Follow your carrier's instructions to activate the new card if needed.

Check to make sure both SIM cards and your SD card are working-
Screenshot_2018-03-19-10-00-38.jpg

Success!

Alternately, you can do the quick and dirty method with this video from AtoZtech
Pros: Works fast and uses FIRE!
Cons: Uses FIRE! could mess up your SIM card, SD card, phone and/or fingers with FIRE (or super glue)!

Have fun and be safe out there!

Attachments

• 20180319_113827.jpg
    20180319_113827.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #1,152 of 5,166
Thanks oyabass. I will put an edit on first post when I get to office.

With an update of vivo x21 spec as well.

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #1,153 of 5,166
So does anyone use a rooted phone Viper4andriod or something similar to get a proper EQ for andriod, Is this an option with the Vivo Xplay6 I’m looking to buy?

I’d love to be able to use an advanced EQ with spotify but that’s only an option with viper4andriod it seems.

Mar 19, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #1,154 of 5,166
Only rooted phone can install v4a. So the answer is no for vivo.

Mar 20, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #1,155 of 5,166
I still didn't hear a noticeable change in SQ after upgrading. I have gone thru various songs that can test each part of frequency. Could you try rebooting the device and clear app cache? I wonder if it does affect.

Well I have found out that there is nothing wrong with the software. Everything sounds like it should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back