Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Nov 12, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #722 of 5,166
ad Axon 7 Rom, I am happy with Stock lite ROM from xda. No flaws here.
Cheers

Interesting. You don't have the speakphone on call by default bug? I thought this was something common with all Lineage OS based ROMs ... I'm running Resurrection Remix (which is based on Lineage AFAIK).

Thanks! Is the bootloop issue and the LG V20 being a 2016 phone some thing I should be worried about?

I don't believe the V20 has any confirmed bootloop issues. It was named in a lawsuit relating to bootloops alongside V10 but that's probably just lawyer overreach. There are a few reports if you google, but that's probably just one off failures.

What does seem to be an issue from reading about it, is the glass protecting the back camera lens is liable to crack. Back when I had the V20 briefly, I was thinking about buying a lens protector (you can get them on aliexpress for cheap).

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #723 of 5,166
Thanks! Is the bootloop issue and the LG V20 being a 2016 phone some thing I should be worried about?

Ghost screen possibility at the top status bar.

Nov 12, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #725 of 5,166
Ok just bought the LG V20. Thanks for helping out! Now to wait for its arrival. :grin:

Nov 13, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #726 of 5,166
Congrats. When you get it, do not touch the kind of 'screen protector' on the rear camera as it helps to avoid breaking this glass. It"s meant to stay there. I suggest also that you use a case that avoids the camera to protrude at the back of the phone.
What model did you buy exactly ? H990DS ?

Nov 13, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #727 of 5,166
Congrats. When you get it, do not touch the kind of 'screen protector' on the rear camera as it helps to avoid breaking this glass. It"s meant to stay there. I suggest also that you use a case that avoids the camera to protrude at the back of the phone.
What model did you buy exactly ? H990DS ?

Thanks for the heads up. Bought this one on Lazada: https://www.lazada.com.my/lg-v20-dual-sim-lte-64gb-titan-grey-15419098.html
Is that the H990DS? What are the differences between the models?

Nov 13, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #729 of 5,166
@Gavern : The H990 is the international model. DS is dual sim ( edit : but H990N is also a dual sim international model). If you bought it in the asian market it must be the one (H990DS or H990N). It's important to know if you want to root the device. Then there are several local firmwares on those devices (Taiwan, South East Asia, Australia...) that have different LTE bands active. It's possible to switch between those. The important info is on xda forums (google xda H990DS). Happy reading.

Root thread : https://forum.xda-developers.com/v20/development/dirtysanta-h990-t3624296
Use the phone stock first. Test audio. Test camera for photos and video. Then only if you need to root it proceed cautiously as it is tricky. Know that you could get issues with camera (cause : there are different camera hardware from sony or samsung in the H990, and you could get a kernel with only a part of the drivers active, that could work 100 % or not from device to device) and USB OTG (on the go). So read first to know what problems you can encounter. Have a backup plan (It's possible to go back to stock).
This phone is an excellent choice anyway. Cheers.

Edit : differences between LG V20 models : https://www.techwalls.com/lg-v20-model-numbers-differences/

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #732 of 5,166
meizu pro 6 plus vs axon 7 vs lg g6 quad ?

I just sold my G6 quad dac version. It is great in audio details but flat sounding or maybe a little less bass. Its like you know you can use it for monitoring audio but not enjoy it. I think V20 is more enjoyable listening. Donno about Meizu so no comments about that

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #733 of 5,166
Well seems like lots of people telling about Fiio q1 mark 2.
I am going to buy another phone and q1 mk2 with it.
Kindly share your ideas and experience.

Am going to use it with Meze 99 Neo and Soundmagic E80C.

Android mobile is only my source.

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #734 of 5,166
I just sold my G6 quad dac version. It is great in audio details but flat sounding or maybe a little less bass. Its like you know you can use it for monitoring audio...
In my humble opinion, once you've reached that state, you just tune equalizer to your taste. Like the opamp does in the other phone you enjoy more :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back