Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Oct 31, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #676 of 5,168
Letv max support native Hi Res setting on neutron. I use it and got the sound that you describe. No mod is needed. :wink:

That's nice but since i prefer streaming, rarely use my phone's music app. On the other hand, mod is system wide effect rather than confining to a single app.

One more thing that i noticed, if i use my cheapo dynamic iem i find that i like the default akg tuning better. It's only when i use some quality gear i find that no something is not right with that tuning. I suddenly start noticing grainy treble. It's not pleasent to listen, to say the least. It also masks all the details behind that crazy bass. Vocals sound thin and muffled. Akg must be targeting masses while tuning the le max. It's a fun sounding tuning and very easy to like to. On the other hand my previous phone vibe x3 was clearly tuned for details. It was a detail monster to the point that they compromised soundstage for that. Totally different target audience see.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #677 of 5,168
That's nice but since i prefer streaming, rarely use my phone's music app. On the other hand, mod is system wide effect rather than confining to a single app.

One more thing that i noticed, if i use my cheapo dynamic iem i find that i like the default akg tuning better. It's only when i use some quality gear i find that no something is not right with that tuning. I suddenly start noticing grainy treble. It's not pleasent to listen, to say the least. It also masks all the details behind that crazy bass. Vocals sound thin and muffled. Akg must be targeting masses while tuning the le max. It's a fun sounding tuning and very easy to like to. On the other hand my previous phone vibe x3 was clearly tuned for details. It was a detail monster to the point that they compromised soundstage for that. Totally different target audience see.

I see. That's a good point on having system-wide effect, not just for offline music playback. Happy that you enjoy the device. ^_^

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #678 of 5,168
I see. That's a good point on having system-wide effect, not just for offline music playback. Happy that you enjoy the device. ^_^

I totally love my current combination. Le max with sauron mod paired with flc8s. I am thankful to those who have guided me so far including you for the device and the other guy in this thread for that mod. You are doing a commendable job on this thread.

Nov 1, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #679 of 5,168
I used Sauron MK and sound very diffirent but not good compare with my untouch system. More bass, treble but less stage, detail. Then i use Ainur Nero, this mod disable audio offload to android DSP & delete SFX(put the sound directly to DAC), sound fkin amazing but you can't use EQ, recommend for who want to enjoy orginal sound.

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #680 of 5,168
Anyone got the Axon 7? Really interested about any opinion on its SQ through headphones.

I think it's great, but I may not be the typical SQ comparing guy... as I have difficulties with better/worse even on Snapdragon vs hifiDAC comparisons on equalised volume on IEM.

The phone is awesome, I downloaded a lite stock ROM but even original is now really good.
Stereo speakers is always fun.
And the earphone experience is terrific as far as my ears and IEMs can tell. Also, opamp easily drives my DT880/250.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #681 of 5,168
Anyone got the Axon 7? Really interested about any opinion on its SQ through headphones.

I'm really happy with the sound. Also owned the V20 briefly and while also detailed, I felt the sound was too clinical vs. the somewhat more V-shaped Axon 7 that I prefer.

Both stock and custom ROMs for the Axon 7 have some annoying quirks but SQ-wise, I couldn't be happier. Price is also insanely cheap now.

Nov 1, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #682 of 5,168
Thanks a lot for your inputs lxlx and RedSky0.

I'm really happy with the sound. Also owned the V20 briefly and while also detailed, I felt the sound was too clinical vs. the somewhat more V-shaped Axon 7 that I prefer.

Both stock and custom ROMs for the Axon 7 have some annoying quirks but SQ-wise, I couldn't be happier. Price is also insanely cheap now.

I saw it at 194 euros on Gearbest, didn't even think and straight ordered it. However, I started doubting a bit after.. I have some questions if you don't mind answering :

-Some people say the dac only works with the stock music player. Is it true? And people complain about missing stuff on the stock music player, can you please confirm the ability to shuffle on the player?

-I also purchased a Fiio q1. Do you think the sound quality will be superior than the q1?

-Will there be any improvement if I amp it with Q1 or is it pointless?

-Is it better to enable or disable dolby while listening to music?

Thanks a lot.

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #683 of 5,168

I saw it at 194 euros on Gearbest, didn't even think and straight ordered it. However, I started doubting a bit after.. I have some questions if you don't mind answering :

-Some people say the dac only works with the stock music player. Is it true? And people complain about missing stuff on the stock music player, can you please confirm the ability to shuffle on the player?

-I also purchased a Fiio q1. Do you think the sound quality will be superior than the q1?

Thanks a lot.

- I think dac is working across all apps but you might not get so-called Hi-Fi DSP apart from stock music app. However, you should install Neutron Music Player and set up Hi-Res Setting as per my first post in this thread. If it works, it will be the purest sound this device can give to you. :wink:

- While listening to music, please disable dolby.

- Not sure on Fiio Q1 vs axon 7.

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #684 of 5,168

Thanks a lot.

I think the q1 through OTG connection will sound better, better treble, more airy and more power on high gain, you will need a USB type c to micro USB otg cable to activate the DAC inside the q1, other than the camera it was a very good device one of the best phones I've ever owned.....use Dolby with the speakers tho its really good.

Nov 1, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #686 of 5,168
Why do you think so, just curious?

That the Q1 sounds better? It's not that the Axon was terrible I thought it was just ok...without Dolby it was just as powerful and kind of sounded similar to an iPhone 7plus just more details, when I put it next to a V10 on aux mode the v10 made my open back Philips come alive with better cleaner treble and a more dynamic sound with better separation and the amp was clearly stronger and the v20 is a little better just not as fun as v10, now I have a pair of HD650s with the V20 and in high impedance mode it sounds great but the Fiio on the same track was sounding even better but unfortunately I have to wait for another OTG cable to be delivered to really test them side by side, unfortunately none of my friends have the Axon so I can't test side by side but sometimes I guess it could also depend on which headphones and what the user likes to hear

Nov 1, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #688 of 5,168
That the Q1 sounds better? It's not that the Axon was terrible I thought it was just ok...without Dolby it was just as powerful and kind of sounded similar to an iPhone 7plus just more details, when I put it next to a V10 on aux mode the v10 made my open back Philips come alive with better cleaner treble and a more dynamic sound with better separation and the amp was clearly stronger and the v20 is a little better just not as fun as v10, now I have a pair of HD650s with the V20 and in high impedance mode it sounds great but the Fiio on the same track was sounding even better but unfortunately I have to wait for another OTG cable to be delivered to really test them side by side, unfortunately none of my friends have the Axon so I can't test side by side but sometimes I guess it could also depend on which headphones and what the user likes to hear

Dude you're perfect!
You own the v20, axon 7 and Q1!
Edit : Wait, you don't have the Axon anymore? I'm lost xD

I have some questions that are really important to me, I'm really sorry xD

Right now, I have a leeco le pro 3 elite. Actually I'm quite satisfied with it. Audio quality is definitely not bad at all, but no headphone jack..
I hesitated for a long time to buy a v20, but the price (300 euros) and possible bootloop issues = non go for me.
Meanwhile, I have a zishan z1 that I use as a DAP and DAC for my computer, and I am pretty satisfied with it, but I'm able to see it' limits as a dap + obligation to carry it around all the time..
So I decided to buy a fiio q1 for 50 euros. Can function as dac and amp, has a built-in battery, ability to use dac without draining smartphone's battery, very good battery life.
But then.. I saw the Axon 7, and since I heard previously that it was excellent for music, I ordered it.
It is still not too late to cancel the order, so I'm a bit confused.

-Is the Axon 7 a good smartphone overall beside being a good music player?
-Does the sound improve if I use the q1 to amp the Axon 7?
-Would you recommend me to keep my smartphone + pair with q1, or axon 7 alone or with q1 amp?
-Is there a sub 100 dollars DAP that sounds significantly better than the Axon 7 or is it not worth it?

Once again thanks a lot for your answers, you people are really helping me.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #689 of 5,168
Dude you're perfect!
You own both the v20, axon 7 and Q1!

I have some questions that are really important to me, I'm really sorry xD

Right now, I have a leeco le pro 3 elite. Actually I'm quite satisfied with it. Audio quality is definitely not bad at all, but no headphone jack..
I hesitated for a long time to buy a v20, but the price (300 euros) and possible bootloop issues = non go for me.
Meanwhile, I have a zishan z1 that I use as a DAP and DAC for my computer, and I am pretty satisfied with it, but I'm able to see it' limits as a dap + obligation to carry it around all the time..
So I decided to buy a fiio q1 for 50 euros. Can function as dac and amp, has a built-in battery, ability to use dac without draining smartphone's battery, very good battery life.
But then.. I saw the Axon 7, and since I heard previously that it was excellent for music, I ordered it.
It is still not too late to cancel the order, so I'm a bit confused.

-Is the Axon 7 a good smartphone overall beside being a good music player?
-Does the sound improve if I use the q1 to amp the Axon 7?
-Would you recommend me to keep my smartphone + pair with q1, or axon 7 alone or with q1 amp?
-Is there a sub 100 dollars DAP that sounds significantly better than the Axon 7 or is it not worth it?

Once again thanks a lot for your answers, you people are really helping me.

Do you already have the q1 on hand? I don't currently have the Axon but I did for a while, the only thing I didn't really like was the camera but the battery life was excellent even with the 2k screen, as far as sound imo the v10 and v20 in aux mode beats the Axon overall, the q1 beats the v20 in aux mode but I have to test high gain vs the q1 on Friday, it also depends on the headphones on neutral or warm headphones you will definitely notice the missing treble extension using the Axon, on open back headphones you till notice the loss of separation, I thought the Axon sounded great when I had it but I struggled with it sounding dull at times when I finally heard the v10 and the x900 I knew exactly what was missing from the Axon. Maybe I'm making it sound worse than it is but that's not much intention I just fell the q1 will sound better especially in high gain...I wish I could find an Axon to do a comparison but my friends and I switch phones like every 6 months lol

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #690 of 5,168
Do you already have the q1 on hand? I don't currently have the Axon but I did for a while, the only thing I didn't really like was the camera but the battery life was excellent even with the 2k screen, as far as sound imo the v10 and v20 in aux mode beats the Axon overall, the q1 beats the v20 in aux mode but I have to test high gain vs the q1 on Friday, it also depends on the headphones on neutral or warm headphones you will definitely notice the missing treble extension using the Axon, on open back headphones you till notice the loss of separation, I thought the Axon sounded great when I had it but I struggled with it sounding dull at times when I finally heard the v10 and the x900 I knew exactly what was missing from the Axon. Maybe I'm making it sound worse than it is but that's not much intention I just fell the q1 will sound better especially in high gain...I wish I could find an Axon to do a comparison but my friends and I switch phones like every 6 months lol

No sadly, I will get the fiio during Christmas, hopefully at the same time with axon 7 of gearbest doesn't cancel the orders..
Once again, thanks a lot for your input, it really helps me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back