Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Sep 21, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #391 of 5,166
Newbie here! Hello headfi!

I preorder a meizu pro7 plus and can't wait to receive my phone since my daughter lose my Xduoo X3.. What do you mean by an adapter ? Is this active ?

I think i got it, this for cut the mic from the LO of the phone?
more like this one:

3.5mm 20ohm/75ohm/100ohm/175ohm Impedance Adapter Plug for HiFi Player/Earphone
http://s.aliexpress.com/yiIfMfQz
(from AliExpress Android)

simply put, it would trigger the hi-gain mode of the phone.

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #393 of 5,166
some info about vivo x9s plus and the ess 9318 chip? just saw the new vivo x20 plus that got the same chip and Micro sd capabilities, I'm so curious.
I'm curious too about if there's some MQA capabilities, 9318 should be the next gen 9218 so it should do the work....

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #394 of 5,166
Hello, I really need a new phone ( i actually don't have one right now ) and I would like to have a decent audio setup when im outside, so I thought about getting an "audiophile" smartphone. I have a really nice discount on the meizu 6 pro plus at only 350€ ( which is my budget, instead of 550€ ) since the new meizu pro 7 is getting released and i was wondering if it's the best choice to make. I just noticed that there were a lot of interesting daps getting released ( Cayin n3, Aune m1s, fiio x2iii, shanling m2S ( i think i would go for this one ). I'm aware of the issue that the meizu would have ( low storage space ) but i guess i would have to manage it well and stream music a little more, if i get a dap, a big 256 gb card would be nice though.

So now i'm just wondering how would for exemple the shanling m2s perform, musically, versus the meizu pro 6. It wouldn't bother me much to have a crappy phone to receive and give calls, for outside, a music player would be more than enough ( i prefer to read a book rather than playing some game if I have to wait outside for some reason ). But honestly the meizu seems like a really cool phone, so either way would be nice, the only thing that can make my mind up is the sound quality.

For IEM, Meizu Pro6 plus's SQ is on par with Shanling M2S. I feel wider soundstage and more natural vocal for Pro 6 Plus as well. But Shanling M2s will benefit on transquility of instrumental separation and higher output. Shanling M2s is better in term of features.
- Hiby link to play as Bluetooth DAC-AMP from smartphone of your choices
- DSD Playback
- small light weight easy to portable. even for jogging / fitness centre.

Meizu Pro 6 plus has 128 GB version. If you can find it.

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #395 of 5,166
Newbie here! Hello headfi!

I preorder a meizu pro7 plus and can't wait to receive my phone since my daughter lose my Xduoo X3.. What do you mean by an adapter ? Is this active ?

I think i got it, this for cut the mic from the LO of the phone?

I am not sure if it is too late to answer this. But I just found that you don't need whatever adapter for meizu pro 7 / plus.

1. Just plug the earphone around "half way" into headphone jack.
  2. Click play any song in meizu music app
  3. Then push the plug completely into headphone jack
  4. You will find more power. louder fuller. and notice that you need to volume down compared to just plug and play :relaxed:

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #396 of 5,166
some info about vivo x9s plus and the ess 9318 chip? just saw the new vivo x20 plus that got the same chip and Micro sd capabilities, I'm so curious.
I'm curious too about if there's some MQA capabilities, 9318 should be the next gen 9218 so it should do the work....

I will update in the Google Doc Link in the first page. You can see that spec now.

For now, LG V30 is the only smartphone that is HW-Decoded MQA capable alongside with onkyo granbeat. Only some DAPs are supporting such as new sony ZX300, Onkyo DP-X1.
Still not yet try x9s plus's ess9318 though. Most of the time, I just focus on xplay model only :disappointed_relieved: Will try if I can find good second hand price from my friends.

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #397 of 5,166
I am not sure if it is too late to answer this. But I just found that you don't need whatever adapter for meizu pro 7 / plus.

1. Just plug the earphone around "half way" into headphone jack.
  2. Click play any song in meizu music app
  3. Then push the plug completely into headphone jack
  4. You will find more power. louder fuller. and notice that you need to volume down compared to just plug and play :relaxed:
Thanks for the tip boss. There is some explanation for use this !?

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #398 of 5,166
Thanks for the tip boss. There is some explanation for use this !?

It is called high gain mode. You can find more info by googling "high gain vs low gain".

Sep 22, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #399 of 5,166
I will update in the Google Doc Link in the first page. You can see that spec now.

For now, LG V30 is the only smartphone that is HW-Decoded MQA capable alongside with onkyo granbeat. Only some DAPs are supporting such as new sony ZX300, Onkyo DP-X1.
Still not yet try x9s plus's ess9318 though. Most of the time, I just focus on xplay model only :disappointed_relieved: Will try if I can find good second hand price from my friends.
I am really curious about x20 plus: good Soc, Big screen in a small package (6.5' in a 5,5' standard smartphone), big battery and the 9318.
Maybe the 9318 is the real upgrade of the 9218? or is the same dac with more Vrms? ( I dont know for sure but the second number should be the Voltage: 9218 has 2V so 9318 could have 3Vrms... BTW i dont get why if 9218p can decode MQA 9318 still cant)

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #400 of 5,166
I am really curious about x20 plus: good Soc, Big screen in a small package (6.5' in a 5,5' standard smartphone), big battery and the 9318.
Maybe the 9318 is the real upgrade of the 9218? or is the same dac with more Vrms? ( I dont know for sure but the second number should be the Voltage: 9218 has 2V so 9318 could have 3Vrms... BTW i dont get why if 9218p can decode MQA 9318 still cant)

You cannot interpret 9318 is 3V while 9218 is 2V. This is not math quiz class. :relaxed: but good try

Also, MQA is not depending on chip only. It is about Software team whether to consider making it supported or not.

Even dx200 which use 9028pro still not support native MQA. While onkyo which use 9018 can play natively.

Sep 22, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #401 of 5,166
:frowning2:
this phone with MQA decoder and android one would be a KILLER midrange smartphone DAP, waiting to know more about the dac.
btw I've find a solution to my broken phone so I will go on waitin something

Sep 22, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #402 of 5,166
For IEM, Meizu Pro6 plus's SQ is on par with Shanling M2S. I feel wider soundstage and more natural vocal for Pro 6 Plus as well. But Shanling M2s will benefit on transquility of instrumental separation and higher output. Shanling M2s is better in term of features.
- Hiby link to play as Bluetooth DAC-AMP from smartphone of your choices
- DSD Playback
- small light weight easy to portable. even for jogging / fitness centre.

Meizu Pro 6 plus has 128 GB version. If you can find it.
I actually don't use iem much, so I'm a little woried that the meizu won't have enough power for what I would be using with it. ( I would mainly use ATH-900x and HD-558 headphones, but it would nice to be able to bring my K-702 with me somewhere and be able to power it ). Thanks for the infos, i'll think a little more about it.

Sep 22, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #403 of 5,166
You cannot interpret 9318 is 3V while 9218 is 2V. This is not math quiz class. :relaxed: but good try

Also, MQA is not depending on chip only. It is about Software team whether to consider making it supported or not.

Even dx200 which use 9028pro still not support native MQA. While onkyo which use 9018 can play natively.
Agree. I would say it has more to do with, wheter or not the manufacturer is ok paying a licencse fee for MQA or not, which I suspect is quite large.

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #405 of 5,166
I looked into it some more and I ended up getting even more confused.

I found 2 nice portable amp/dacs ( TheBit Opus#11 and the new Shanling UP, both using that ESS Sabre ES9018K2M dac ) both costing 150€, but the second one doesn't have an internal battery, so it would ruin a phone's one.
And so now there is this one possibility of getting some random cheap phone ( i want to try chinese brand, maybe xiaomi redmi note 4 or Meizu m3s ), around 150€ too, and have a have combo for only 300€. I would connect the dac to the phone to use it as its dac and be able to use it on a pc outside too. This possbility would save some autonomy from the phone's battery, that I guess can go pretty fast when listening to higher quality audio files. Only downside I can see is that it would use more space ( definitly won't fit in a pocket ), but it doesn't seem that much troublesome for me.

What do you guys think about that, and how do you think these two products would perform musically against for exemple the Meizu pro 6 plus or the Shanling M2S.

By the way there is also the " FiiO Alpen e17K 2", I wanted to stick with the ES 9018K2M or the AK4490(EQ) since I know they are known to be pretty good dac chips, but this one doesn't seem half bad either. It's slightly cheaper too. link ( its in french ) I'm not sure if I can connect it with an Android device though. I think it will get updated this year since they updated another model, but I guess it would be too late for me.

This is getting a little out of hand, and doesn't have that much to do with the thread anymore, maybe I should go over to the recommendation thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back