Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Sep 9, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #364 of 5,166
Any opinion about Oneplus 5 sound quality through earphones?

Don't know about others, in terms of aural pleasure, they are nowhere near my Lenovo P2. A colleague owns that phone, he too was surprised (a wee bit disappointed) when he heard the volume in my P2 - OP5 is a terrific phone otherwise.

Just FYI, I own Lenovo Vibe X3 as well, P2 for me is louder than X3. Vibe X3 was charred by the poor software optimization and the buggy Marshmallow update which further led to the deterioration in sound quality via headphones. Hi-Fi doesn't work as expected in MM 6.0. Planning to flash a stock ROM just to get that sound quality back. So yeah, avoid X3 as well for now.

Sep 12, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #367 of 5,166
Will anyone have the chance to test out how the new android one from Xiaomi sound? According to their website http://www.mi.com/in/mi-a1/ it has a dedicated amp. Interested too see how much power does this thing have
I ordered Mi A1 just today. Will get by 16/17 Sep. I will update as to how good it sounds once i get hands on it.
I have OnePlus 3T, Lenovo P2 and Xiaomi Redmi Note 3(Snapdragon) in the house. Had Galaxy S4 Exynos in the past. Have listened to them quite extensively. So will tell how A1 sounds compared to them

Sep 12, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #368 of 5,166
Don't know about others, in terms of aural pleasure, they are nowhere near my Lenovo P2. A colleague owns that phone, he too was surprised (a wee bit disappointed) when he heard the volume in my P2 - OP5 is a terrific phone otherwise.

Just FYI, I own Lenovo Vibe X3 as well, P2 for me is louder than X3. Vibe X3 was charred by the poor software optimization and the buggy Marshmallow update which further led to the deterioration in sound quality via headphones. Hi-Fi doesn't work as expected in MM 6.0. Planning to flash a stock ROM just to get that sound quality back. So yeah, avoid X3 as well for now.
I own P2 and 3T. And since OnePlus 5 has even better sound than 3T, i can very well say P2 isn't better than OP5. It isn't even better than 3T. It is very good but not as good is what i mean.
One has to modify the audio tuner in sound settings in OnePlus 3T/5 to get the best sound. Also loudness isn't everything. A great sound quality is made up of various things. Also in the loudness department 3T has a little bit more output than P2 but OP5 has way more output.

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #373 of 5,166
Today I got my mi a1. Listened to a couple of songs. The audio experience so far is a mixed bag. It can drive full size head phones. It drove my hd 598 really easily. But the sound didn't feel right. It was loud yet for some reason kinda flat. Will have to test it further. It sounded ok with apple's earpods though. The speaker is loud and clear, should handle loudspeaker calls well. Got the black variant, the phone is gorgeous though..

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #374 of 5,166
Today I got my mi a1. Listened to a couple of songs. The audio experience so far is a mixed bag. It can drive full size head phones. It drove my hd 598 really easily. But the sound didn't feel right. It was loud yet for some reason kinda flat. Will have to test it further. It sounded ok with apple's earpods though. The speaker is loud and clear, should handle loudspeaker calls well. Got the black variant, the phone is gorgeous though..
Well, out of the box there is no equalizer or sound effects applied, so i guess a good device should have a flat sound. Try after enabling equalizer fx and some effects in play music, apple music, spotify or any other music app you use.
Also the headphones also have their own sound signature, so that plays a part too.

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #375 of 5,166
Mi a1 sound quality is too average. It can be loud yes but lacks the warmth. Tested with apple music with the equalizer on with different presets and with equalizer off. It is loud, can drive full-size cans but the quality is not there. The call sound is on a bit low side, My old Samsung grand duos has nice call quality. But this phone is super smooth though. This phone tries to do a lot of things like expensive phones it is mimicking and fails. The camera too kinda same story. Guess at this price I can forgive the camera, Guess people better than me in equalizing can reproduce the sound they want with this hardware. I kinda succeeded with power amp, but it is too much hassle for me to manually tweak for each song. So I am kinda disappointed with the sound quality. For the rest , like for day to day tasks and gaming, this is a good choice. Will listen to more tracks in it. I generally listen to country and some indian and western classical.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back