Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Sep 4, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #346 of 5,166
Do you know the max output current rating of opa1622 & 9218?

The OPA1622 is public domain, and it has more than enough for any headphone (130mA). It's the negative voltage rail that will probably give out first as that needs to come from an inverting buck or charge pump.

The ESS9218 datasheet is a little more illusive, but again it has a charge pump to deliver the negative rail.

Of course you could always couple the headphones via a capacitor, but that would be a dumb idea that iPods left behind at gen 5

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #347 of 5,166
Android can also bypass their limitation and fully use 32-bit DAC depending on software team's competency. iBasso DX200 is also an android DAP and capable of native sampling rate. so if LG claim that MQA is supported then it should be fully native MQA decoded. Otherwise they will be sued as fraud advertise.
OK, thanks for clearing that up for me. I feel much better now.

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #348 of 5,166
As far as I know (but I could be wrong obviously) the CL chip on S7 is integrated DAC+amp similar to the unit in Meizu Pro 6.
Well Z3 had quite a good sound for a phone without dedicated DAC from what I read on the forums. I'd love to read some head-fi review of the XZ1 Compact.

Do you know the model of the CL chip S7 uses?
Yep, me too. Even though Sony didn't put any additional audio hardware on the XZ1 series it looks like they explored the software to the fullest. The only thing Sony needs now is to put big screens with little bezels and is good to go.

Sep 5, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #349 of 5,166
@artpiggo - Thanks for your hard work in putting together the Google Doc. I currently have an Axon 7 that I listen to with Westone W40 IEMs. It's now time to upgrade again, but this time I am leaning towards the LG V20, but still looking around (thanks to your spreadsheet).

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #352 of 5,166
They look decent. But gsmarena really need to raise their game when it comes to measurement. What is the max output level? Why are the measurements limited to 16bit?

From the launch conference, it has 1.7 Vrms maximum output.

I tested from one seller's unit.
This device has no hifi option. The sound signature emphasizes on upper mid and clear treble and tune slight bass which is quite different from pro5 /mx4 pro.

Camera quality is top notch especially in low light condition though.

Sep 7, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #353 of 5,166

This device has no hifi option. The sound signature emphasizes on upper mid and clear treble and tune slight bass which is quite different from pro5 /mx4 pro.

1.7V rms is some healthy headroom for a phone! That'll never be allowed in Europe.

I thought it would be the ESS DAC like the LG but no, Cirrus.

Sep 7, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #354 of 5,166

The especifications of the Cirrus Logic DAC it has impedance sensitivity, so I imagine it won't need a hi-fi option.

1.7V rms is some healthy headroom for a phone! That'll never be allowed in Europe.

I thought it would be the ESS DAC like the LG but no, Cirrus.

Despite some endeavor with ESS Meizu has a history using Cirrus Logic chips.

Sep 7, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #355 of 5,166
Without expansion, without optical stabilization and with the lack of global 4G bands, Pro 7 Plus is at best a decent streaming device, not a decent DAP/smartphone... exactly like Pro 6 Plus...
They should really stop focusing on looks and start designing complete global solutions if they want to gain market shares outside China.

LG can sleep peacefully, V30 will sell way better globally.

Sep 7, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #357 of 5,166
Without expansion, without optical stabilization and with the lack of global 4G bands, Pro 7 Plus is at best a decent streaming device, not a decent DAP/smartphone... exactly like Pro 6 Plus...
They should really stop focusing on looks and start designing complete global solutions if they want to gain market shares outside China.

LG can sleep peacefully, V30 will sell way better globally.

Maybe here at head-fi it won't be enough but for the majority the 64/128GB is sufficient. For me it is, for example.
OIS for dual cameras are new and not always that much nneeded unless you record a lot of videos.

For me Sony just need a new design with bezeless display.

Sep 8, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #358 of 5,166
The especifications of the Cirrus Logic DAC it has impedance sensitivity, so I imagine it won't need a hi-fi option.

You are right, Just use an adapter (female to male 3.5), now the sound is very full and musical. Recommended.

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #359 of 5,166
Using a Lenovo P2 since January this year. This thing is wildly loud, comes with a TI amplifier and has driven few of the high impedance headphones I own with ease. Couple it with a massive 5100 mah battery, AMOLED display and a 14nm architecture CPU (SD 625), this thing has been nothing short of a delight to own - an extremely rare combination of owning up all the good things in a phone.

Sep 8, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #360 of 5,166
Using a Lenovo P2 since January this year. This thing is wildly loud, comes with a TI amplifier and has driven few of the high impedance headphones I own with ease. Couple it with a massive 5100 mah battery, AMOLED display and a 14nm architecture CPU (SD 625), this thing has been nothing short of a delight to own - an extremely rare combination of owning up all the good things in a phone.

Curious, which headphones have you tried it with? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back