Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Mar 30, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #4,622 of 5,166
I cannot believe that somebody else has finally given the credits that Focal Listen Pro deserve. Having wasted over 10 thousand hours of reading no less pages, and tried most headphones in Cobra showroom in Paris... I have always felt that these headphones are something quite special. So many 5 star headphones sound pathetic, compared to them (Beyerdynamic Amiron, P7 - laughable)

Indeed.
Listen Pro sound tuning is quite unique as most headphones are tuned to match the Harman target curve , while the Listen Pro is more like listening to an artist in his studio ( Anechoic chamber).

And, would you believe it, I want to buy the Xduoo Link 2 Bal which you own. I beg you to try Focal Listen Pro with it and share opinions...

I will try :sweat_smile:

As for Vivo phones, the only ones I could find in Bulgaria are from the Y-series, namely three models, Y72 / Y70 / Y33s. Is any of those worth it, purely for audio, compared to what I currently have, please?

Vivo ditched 3.5mm headphone jack , they are not focused anymore on audio , but only in camera.
Their last flaship phone (X series ) come with a USB-C adapter.
As the Y series sounds , i think they are not worth it and they are no match to your HTC's and LG's.

Mar 30, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #4,623 of 5,166
The LG V30's quad dac is still amazing considering it's 5yrs old now - still better than many dongle dacs out there. My only exception is Cayin's RU6 which is simply outstanding. I'm swinging towards R2R dacs now I think. But that's just my opinion.
Which brings me to my problem. I indeed have a V30 and have been told by my carrier that I need to buy a new phone, they are ending support for some of the calling features.

Carrier is T-Mobile, and I'm looking at midrange Android phones with SD card support, so no OnePlus 8, etc. The new Samsung A53 (Samsung is not immediately my first choice, I find the UI clumsy) is due out today and tomorrow (depending upon source) but it has no headphone jack at all.

I'm not looking for absolutes here, just a "best choice" option for something good under $550 T-Mobile price; I no longer listen as much as I did so I'm not going to split hairs on getting the best. Willing to go with a reasonable dongle option + a reasonable phone, I personally don't see the intelligence of spending $1100 for the newest & greatest 2022 phone just for it to be worth half that a bit under two years later.

Thank you in advance for your feedback! :)

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #4,624 of 5,166
Man...this is unfortunate...I am glad I don`t live in the US. I know people still using smartphones from 2015, no such operator requirements here. Best of luck! My two cents, as someone who has studied to become an optometrist...I would advise a phone without PWM. When I type in Google the model and PWM, the first result is usually from Notebookcheck. Then, CTRL+F and type PWM, and there you have it, most phones have been reviewed. It was strange that LG G7 uses IPS display, and still has 1174 Hz PWM frequency. No problems with me, but most Samsungs, even flagships, have low PWM, approximately 250 Hz. This is beyond laughable, let alone the bloatware. Samsung presented themselves like anti-evil-Apple, and became just like them, so did many Chinese manufacturers. And, since most phones have PWM, the choice is very easy if we first rule out the PWM displays. If it has to be PWM, let it be above 1 kHz. Before that simple formula I found, I would read hundreds of review pages, it was beyond tiring.
Yesterday, I tried Neutron and UAPP Pro on my G7. I liked UAPP a bit more. The sound become significantly closer to the sound of my LG V10 (H961N, Android 7). Before, it was cold, lifeless, too digital, but detail was quite impressive. Poweramp was not convincing on either phone, but it is quite a good choice for my HTC 10, on which the other players did not detect hi-res DAC. Is UAPP Pro really the best option for my G7 (US version, Android 9)? Second...since it has direct DAC access, does it use all 4 of them, must I use the DUNU adapter to trigger High impedance mode, please?

Mar 31, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #4,625 of 5,166
Vivo Xplay is only for chinese market and it never sold my its owners, cause phones is legendary :)

All phones that you have way more less quality than vivo xplays.

Yes I have to admit the you guys in China and other countries with cell carriers that support similar wireless frequency bands are lucky to have audio enthusiast phones that sport desktop-grade DAC chips.

• Sabre 9018K2M ~ Meizu Pro 6/6+, Vivo X9 Plus
  • Sabre 9028 ~ Vivo Xplay5 Elite
  • Sabre 9038Q2M ~ Vivo Xplay6

The ZTE Axon 7 and Axon 7 Mini are pretty unique as well to since they are the only phones I know since 2016 that sport a DAC-AMP from AKM (AK4961).

Though one immediate downside are the small batteries ~ 3200mAh on the standard 7 and 2700mAh on the 7 Mini.

Which brings me to my problem. I indeed have a V30 and have been told by my carrier that I need to buy a new phone, they are ending support for some of the calling features.

Carrier is T-Mobile, and I'm looking at midrange Android phones with SD card support, so no OnePlus 8, etc. The new Samsung A53 (Samsung is not immediately my first choice, I find the UI clumsy) is due out today and tomorrow (depending upon source) but it has no headphone jack at all.

I'm not looking for absolutes here, just a "best choice" option for something good under $550 T-Mobile price; I no longer listen as much as I did so I'm not going to split hairs on getting the best. Willing to go with a reasonable dongle option + a reasonable phone, I personally don't see the intelligence of spending $1100 for the newest & greatest 2022 phone just for it to be worth half that a bit under two years later.

Thank you in advance for your feedback! :)

Have you looked into the LG V60? It's still 've seen Refurbished ones go for $190-$250 and Open Box offers going for 300 bucks on eBay.

If you want to take a gamble I'm currently sporting an unlocked LG V50 which is also technically unsupported by T-Mobile (these probably are going for $150-$200), but I can still make calls and browse the web on data so far despite the warnings. This might be the same case for the similar G8X, but I'm not completely sure since I don't have one.

The ROG Phone 5 is another great option, but that's a current flagship gaming phone so that's probably beyond your budget.

If you're just looking for solid phone with a headphone jack to pair with a decent dongle-DAC (KA3, S9 Pro, RU6, BTR5, etc.) the Samsung Galaxy M51 is the audio enthusiast phone to beat right now since it has a huuuge 7,000 mAh battery that lasts 15 hours of light use on a charge (6-7 of "screen on time" = 1 day of use). You can find them on eBay right now for $400-$450.

A full list of phones with headphone jacks that I keep updated is listed under Section #2/MNVO Matrix HERE

IUrURnx.png

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #4,626 of 5,166
My hifiman sundaras are quite quiet on LG G7 thinq, should I buy a short extension cable and do the trick with impedance that way or is there any other sollution?
Just unplug the left cable of the Sundara and connect the headphone cable to your G7, this should force aux mode automatically.
After that attach the left cable to the Sundara.
Now you'll have twice the power out of your LG. :wink:

Apr 1, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #4,627 of 5,166
Have you looked into the LG V60? It's still 've seen Refurbished ones go for $190-$250 and Open Box offers going for 300 bucks on eBay.

If you want to take a gamble I'm currently sporting an unlocked LG V50 which is also technically unsupported by T-Mobile (these probably are going for $150-$200), but I can still make calls and browse the web on data so far despite the warnings. This might be the same case for the similar G8X, but I'm not completely sure since I don't have one.

The ROG Phone 5 is another great option, but that's a current flagship gaming phone so that's probably beyond your budget.

If you're just looking for solid phone with a headphone jack to pair with a decent dongle-DAC (KA3, S9 Pro, RU6, BTR5, etc.) the Samsung Galaxy M51 is the audio enthusiast phone to beat right now since it has a huuuge 7,000 mAh battery that lasts 15 hours of light use on a charge (6-7 of "screen on time" = 1 day of use). You can find them on eBay right now for $400-$450.

A full list of phones with headphone jacks that I keep updated is listed under Section #2/MNVO Matrix HERE

IUrURnx.png
Thank you kindly for the reply.

I had seen your list previously, thank you. The issue is that many of those phones are not carried by U.S. carriers, and the LG V60 you mentioned (as a current LG owner, I had looked) plus the M51 are not 5G capable, which T-Mobile is pushing us towards. T-Mobile has completely eliminated 3G service, keeping 4G as the 'lowest' now, and they are also discontinuing Wi-Fi Calling support for my V30 which is why they are pushing me / I must switch.

To tell you the truth sync with my Garmin Zumo & Cardo headset when I ride my motorcycle has become much more important to me, percentage use-wise, compared to portable headphone listening, so I may end up with that Samsung A53 after all. A modest-priced dongle will take care of my, now, only occasional headphone use.

Apr 2, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #4,628 of 5,166
My LG V10 and G7 Thinq are significantly better with a DUNU impedance adapter, compared to AUX extensions. The difference is jaw-dropping, even on budget headphones like Focal Listen Pro. This is why I bought a bunch of adapters, although I was reluctant in the beginning.

Apr 2, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #4,629 of 5,166
My LG V10 and G7 Thinq are significantly better with a DUNU impedance adapter, compared to AUX extensions. The difference is jaw-dropping, even on budget headphones like Focal Listen Pro. This is why I bought a bunch of adapters, although I was reluctant in the beginning.
Can you please let me know about what impedance adapter are talking about

Apr 2, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #4,630 of 5,166
I have not been able to find confirmation that the Rog Phone 5 bypasses Android SRC. I searched a few days ago. Would you mind pointing me to the resource that confirms it? Whatever it is, even user screenshots.

Apr 4, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #4,631 of 5,166
Certainly! I bought the 75 Ohm one, but there is also a 30 Ohm version, both in metal housing. I find it fairly durable, as I have pressed it very hard, without bending it (using it on the go in public transport...where I broke two cheap, plastic adapters). First, connect the adapter to the 3.5 jack of your headphones. Then, when everything is ready, plug the cable with the already connected adapter in the phone. Before, I had plugged the adapter into the phone first...and the result was unimpressive. I tried the 75 Ohm adapter with LG V10 and G7, with all my headphones: Focal Listen, CCA C12, some cheap HTC bundled-handsfree, Focal Listen Professional and Sennheiser HD 599 SE (the latter triggers High impedance mode everytime, without an adapter). Needless to say...the WOW factor was there everytime. I had read on this forum about the DUNU adapter, and I am happy I bought some:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...-1;32.9;-1;-1@salePrice;BGN;search-mainSearch

Apr 5, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #4,632 of 5,166
Has anyone experienced HiFi music with HTC handsets? I use to swear by HTC phones until I bought the LG V30 a couple of years ago. Stumbled across my old HTC Desire 10 pro and decided to listen to Qobuz through UAPP on this handset. It gives the V30 a good run for it's money. The HTC's internal dac is capable of 24/192 playback. Now thinking of using my old HTC as a DAP in the house - just need a micro USB to USB C OTG adapter/cable so I can pair it with my Cayin RU6 :).

Apr 5, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #4,633 of 5,166
My old HTC 10 gives a run for the money of LG V10 and G7...until one listens to the treble extension and starts missing the details in it. The sound is fuller, more fun, more analogue, but..something just is not there. Sometimes I take the LG, sometimes I take the HTC out for a long walk, depends on the mood, but especially with DSD (that are actually vynil scans), G7`s newer DAC shines. Otherwise I prefer V10 of all three.

Apr 5, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #4,634 of 5,166
Certainly! I bought the 75 Ohm one, but there is also a 30 Ohm version, both in metal housing. I find it fairly durable, as I have pressed it very hard, without bending it (using it on the go in public transport...where I broke two cheap, plastic adapters). First, connect the adapter to the 3.5 jack of your headphones. Then, when everything is ready, plug the cable with the already connected adapter in the phone. Before, I had plugged the adapter into the phone first...and the result was unimpressive. I tried the 75 Ohm adapter with LG V10 and G7, with all my headphones: Focal Listen, CCA C12, some cheap HTC bundled-handsfree, Focal Listen Professional and Sennheiser HD 599 SE (the latter triggers High impedance mode everytime, without an adapter). Needless to say...the WOW factor was there everytime. I had read on this forum about the DUNU adapter, and I am happy I bought some:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32822361714.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1d2d12b5Raigs8&algo_pvid=6e139a3a-4d10-4c4a-8619-987d6b24dfca&algo_exp_id=6e139a3a-4d10-4c4a-8619-987d6b24dfca-1&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000020979159267"}&pdp_pi=-1;32.9;-1;-1@salePrice;BGN;search-mainSearch
I do things slightly differently. I also use a 3.5 male to male adapter with no impedance. The procedure is:
Plug the impedance adapter into the non-impedance adapter.
Plug the non-impedance adapter into the LG phone - this puts the phone into high impedance mode.
Unplug the impedance adapter - the phone remains in high impedance mode.
Plug headphone cable into non-impedance adapter.

This way, you get the high impedance mode but without the additional impedance introduced by the impedance adapter. As always, do whatever works best for you and the headphones you're using.

Apr 6, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #4,635 of 5,166
My old HTC 10 gives a run for the money of LG V10 and G7...until one listens to the treble extension and starts missing the details in it. The sound is fuller, more fun, more analogue, but..something just is not there. Sometimes I take the LG, sometimes I take the HTC out for a long walk, depends on the mood, but especially with DSD (that are actually vynil scans), G7`s newer DAC shines. Otherwise I prefer V10 of all three.
Thanks. Yes, I am the same - I like to fluctuate between V30, HTC 10, Dragonfly Black and Cayin RU6. Overall, I think I do prefer the V30's quad dac vs HTC 10 and Dragonfly; however, I'm really loving the RU6 since purchasing. Has me curious about R2R dacs. It is the benefit of a hobby like this - going back and forth between equipment :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back