Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Mar 5, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #4,591 of 5,166
iPod Classic and iPod Photo is on 'Stereophile Recommended Class C'

even dac dongle Dragonfly Red/ Cobalt' is on 'Stereohpile Recommended Class B'

while LG V30 is on 'Stereohpile Recommended Class A' !!!

quote about smartphone would be never sound good as Dedicated Digital Music Player, it's totally ignorant and arrogance.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #4,592 of 5,166
iPod Classic and iPod Photo is on 'Stereophile Recommended Class C'

even dac dongle Dragonfly Red/ Cobalt' is on 'Stereohpile Recommended Class B'

while LG V30 is on 'Stereohpile Recommended Class A' !!!

quote about smartphone would be never sound good as Dedicated Digital Music Player, it's totally ignorant and arrogance.
So will it be wiser for LG to tap on the niche audiophile market with a dedicated DAP rather than a consumer smartphone?

Mar 6, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #4,593 of 5,166
dedicated DAP is niche of niche market which low in margin profit

only smartphone market which is world largest profit marketing, can sell something this Hi-end Higher Quality Sound in such a small Smartphone price lol

Mar 6, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #4,594 of 5,166
its just LG can't make people buy more of their product like what apple do like when have steve jobs around, that's the reason

Mar 6, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #4,595 of 5,166
So will it be wiser for LG to tap on the niche audiophile market with a dedicated DAP rather than a consumer smartphone?
They did the opposite and exited the smartphone business altogether. I am not an expert in the business but I would think DAP and audiophile smartphones are too small of a niche for LG and they are focusing elsewhere. I do own a V60 and also do not think their UI and software is the most intuitive and would think a typical user of a Samsung or Apple device would probably find it too clunky. This is probably something "audiophiles" can forgive if the sound is good but most consumers are generally not "audiophiles". While not great for those of us who really like our V series phones, I doubt their market share was big enough to justify the headaches of the business and resources that could be redeployed elsewhere. After all, LG is a large conglomerate that has businesses that range from consumer electronics, appliances, household products, telecom, and even sports. It is not a small audio-focused company so my guess would be that our small niche market was just not a big enough business for them.

Mar 7, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #4,597 of 5,166
Well, having owned LG G7 and V10, I am glad that I bought the DUNU impedance adapter from Aliexpress. After breaking some cheap adapters... It screams quality, metal body... I have an OFC cable with mic, that does not trigger high impedance mode with Sennheiser HD599 SE (the original cable does trigger it). The difference, not only in volume, but in everything, is so jaw-dropping, it is a world of difference. I opted for the 75OHM one, and LG G7 drives the combo quite easily. I doubt that you need anything else. I compared it with my NAD D3020 (CS dac inside), and while the bass was fuller, tighter with more impact...everything else was easily a win with the LG. I used 24/96 hi-res audio. Do not let anybody fool you that there is no difference between Normal and High impedance mode, as some people seriously need to check their hearing (yes, I studied medicine).
Thanks, I'm definitely gonna look into it. EDIT: Found one on local 'ebay' like webpage. Already bought it :)

Here's your problem: apparently the G7's 1-1.5 volt amplification circuitry outputs less than 5mW if a headphone with less than 50 ohms of impedance is plugged in (design flaw?)

This is pretty weird since more wattage should be delivered at lower levels of impedance.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-audio-measurement-of-lg-g7-thinq-smartphone.4468/ (..)

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply, I didn't knew about r2r dacs. However I bought lg7 to avoid using additional hardware for now (I do have a headphone JDS Labs Atom dac/amp combo connected to my pc so I'm good there), and gonna try this impedance adapter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT2: Ok, something weird is going on. I have DUNU 75ohm adapter now and it's actually lowering the volume instead of making it louder. Both on sundaras (slightly) and very aggressively lowering volume of Moondrop Kanas Pro. Am I missing something? I thought it's gonna help kick in some additional amp power and make it louder overall?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #4,598 of 5,166
Anyone could suggest any proxy buying/forwarding service from Poland or Europe and can deliver to South East Asia? I've been looking for some handphones on Allegro.pl but all of it seems to only offer local delivery. Any recommendation would be much appreciated. Should be a proven and trusted one at least.

Mar 13, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #4,599 of 5,166
It is to be expected that the volume is lower. Impedance-wise, the higher it is, the impedance, the lower the volume will be. When you add the adapter, you will need to push the volume up button a few times. But hey, it triggers High impedance mode, so the Quad DAC is on!

Mar 15, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #4,600 of 5,166
Anyone could suggest any proxy buying/forwarding service from Poland or Europe and can deliver to South East Asia? I've been looking for some handphones on Allegro.pl but all of it seems to only offer local delivery. Any recommendation would be much appreciated. Should be a proven and trusted one at least.

Looks like Shopee (Amazon/Ebay of Southest Asia?) carries a decent selection of audio enthusiast gear:
Other phones available on Shopee that have headphone jacks, but no dedicated quad-DACs:
  • Black Shark - all models
  • Red Magic - all models
  • Samsung - Galaxy A & M series
  • Poco - X & M series
  • Oppo - any non-Pro model
  • Oneplus - CE & N series
  • Google Pixel 5a
Hope this helps!

Mar 15, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #4,601 of 5,166
Looks like Shopee (Amazon/Ebay of Southest Asia?) carries a decent selection of audio enthusiast gear:
Other phones available on Shopee that have headphone jacks, but no dedicated quad-DACs:
  • Black Shark - all models
  • Red Magic - all models
  • Samsung - Galaxy A & M series
  • Poco - X & M series
  • Oppo - any non-Pro model
  • Oneplus - CE & N series
  • Google Pixel 5a
Hope this helps!
Thanks for the list and link but I know about Shopee all to well but I was actually looking to buy LG Velvet with the dual screen or at least the dual screen itself as I could get the phone rather easily from Shopee. The dual screen is quite rare to find in SEA and is quite expensive in Japan market and even on ebay. The price in Allegro.pl is reasonable but after I went to calculate the estimated courier cost (FedEx/DHL) the total price would still be hefty so I'll abandoned my purchase, at least for now. Plus, LG phones needs to be rooted to activate the VoLTE, while VoLTE is quite high in my priority list.

Mar 16, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #4,602 of 5,166
Hi! I just turn on rog phone 5 for the first time after vivo xplay6 and ... HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT...

Nothing similar to vivo xplay6

Nothing even closer!

I open dirac and set movie instead of music - treible became more clear, but there is no bass at all!

Headphones - audiotechnika ath es10
Player - foobar

Content - 192/24 flacs from rhino ( DM)

Any suggestion?

Is it any sort of knob, where i can turn ON and OFF Quad DAC?

Mar 16, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #4,603 of 5,166
It is to be expected that the volume is lower. Impedance-wise, the higher it is, the impedance, the lower the volume will be. When you add the adapter, you will need to push the volume up button a few times. But hey, it triggers High impedance mode, so the Quad DAC is on!
I'm out of volume up options, I guess I'm gonna start thinking about alternatives.

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #4,604 of 5,166
Im shocked.
As vivo nex s claimed to be the last hifi 2.0 phone, i just compare it with xplay6 - its significantly weaker!!!

Can anyone suggest me ANY device ( hifi player, usb dongle, whatever) than can play better than vivo xplay5s and vivo xplay6?

Im struggeling now for the old phone and weak battery, and want modern solution for listen to the music with the same quality of xplay 5-6 phones, no matter of form factor, even if i have to split phone and player away from each other.

I have audiotechnika ath es10 headphones, 42 oHm, 5hz - 40 khz

Thanks in advance.

Mar 19, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #4,605 of 5,166
Just a question to all of you with LG phones. Did LG fix the Hifi mode only above 50 ohm now or is it still the case? I have a LG8X and really would never buy it again.
Never experienced this issue at all and had my V30 for around 2 years now. If you download 'Hi-Fi Status (LG)' app, this tells you what mode is triggered when plugging iems/headphones into headphone jack.
This app proves the LG's dac is very accurate in recognising impedance values and thus matching the correct quad dac mode based on the iem/headphone used. Every time I connect my Beyer DT880 pros (250 ohms), this triggers the LG's quad dac high impedance mode (= to or >50ohms). Similarly, my iems less than 50ohms trigger the HiFi mode.
It is important to know that if you artificially trigger the dac into HIM for sensitive iems (e.g. using an extension cable) with an impedance less than 50ohms, you can damage the iems. You can also damage your hearing as the lowest volume will still play very loud.
There is no sonic gain to be had in triggering HIM for sensitive iems/headphones with a low impedance. It is merely a placebo affect - a result of the quad dac HIM mode triggering a higher gain setting within the quad dacs amp output. HIM requires a higher amp output in order to drive harder to drive headphones/iems with a higher impedance. Planar headphones and IEMs are the only exception to this rule (although they may have a low impedance, planars are still notoriously difficult to drive and so will benefit from the LG's HIM). That's why planars are often sold with their own headphone amp.
Auxiliary mode is purely a line out option. I don't understand why people are comparing modes for low impedance iems as this is not the quad dacs designed intention. These modes all serve different purposes - different iem/headphone proprietary impedances and sensitivity values - as mentioned above.
The LG V30's quad dac is still amazing considering it's 5yrs old now - still better than many dongle dacs out there. My only exception is Cayin's RU6 which is simply outstanding. I'm swinging towards R2R dacs now I think. But that's just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back