Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Aug 17, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #4,231 of 5,166
The fact is the Xperias just arent very good, relativley. Ive got the mk ii, the 4k screen is useless, the battery life is poor, the virewfinder on photo pro is tiny rendering adjustments useless…The screen is washed out compared to my GFs iphone, and the aspect ratio is diabolical. Looking at reddit and instagram content on her phone images are literally twice as big, the aspect ratio of the Sony is so unusual webpages and apps deal with it by shrinking content substantially, again, the tall aspect ratio is useless.

Anyone who thinks its a good phone needs to use a iPhone or other flagship for a few weeks. Im glad i got it very cheap.

I went for the S21 Ultra in the end, and really glad I did. Too many dodgy reports of the Xperia I III and a few flaws like the battery life I couldn't look past.

Aug 18, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #4,233 of 5,166
Yeah I seen the announcement of the new BTR5 on Reddit. I'll probably wait for that now. Been told the Qudelix 5K is better out of the two but I prefer the look of the BTR5.

Is there any reason why I need that connector?
If ever you want to use BTR5 as a USB DAC. It's a convenient solve as opposed to a dangling wire.

5k is also good. If you can either of them cheap, go for it. In my country, 5k is priced almost £30 more than its MSRP. Hence I purchased BTR5.

Aug 18, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #4,234 of 5,166
If ever you want to use BTR5 as a USB DAC. It's a convenient solve as opposed to a dangling wire.

5k is also good. If you can either of them cheap, go for it. In my country, 5k is priced almost £30 more than its MSRP. Hence I purchased BTR5.
I would be getting either from AliExpress because neither of them are sold here. Wasn't it a male to female connector?

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #4,235 of 5,166
The fact is the Xperias just arent very good, relativley. Ive got the mk ii, the 4k screen is useless, the battery life is poor, the virewfinder on photo pro is tiny rendering adjustments useless…The screen is washed out compared to my GFs iphone, and the aspect ratio is diabolical. Looking at reddit and instagram content on her phone images are literally twice as big, the aspect ratio of the Sony is so unusual webpages and apps deal with it by shrinking content substantially, again, the tall aspect ratio is useless.

Anyone who thinks its a good phone needs to use a iPhone or other flagship for a few weeks. Im glad i got it very cheap.

I guess everyone really does have different experiences, I love my Xperia 1 ii. The photo pro app is great for taking photos using manual adjustments, the screen colors are more natural and accurate than other phones, the aspect ratio is great for movies and for multi-tasking, and I rarely need to charge it before the end of the day. It's really one of the best smartphones I've ever owned, and I've owned many as I tend to change my phones every year.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #4,236 of 5,166
I guess everyone really does have different experiences, I love my Xperia 1 ii. The photo pro app is great for taking photos using manual adjustments, the screen colors are more natural and accurate than other phones, the aspect ratio is great for movies and for multi-tasking, and I rarely need to charge it before the end of the day. It's really one of the best smartphones I've ever owned, and I've owned many as I tend to change my phones every year.
Id reccomend putting it side by side with an iPhone. The difference in brightness and colour representation is staggering, its why i find it so hard to take shots in daylight/sunlight.

Its ofc a good phone, but side by side with the samsung/iphone equivalent it has one thing going for it, headphone jack. Every other metric it gets absolutely whooped (iphone 11 pro max has double the battery life. 40% higher brightness, etc etc)

Aug 18, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #4,237 of 5,166
Id reccomend putting it side by side with an iPhone. The difference in brightness and colour representation is staggering, its why i find it so hard to take shots in daylight/sunlight.

Its ofc a good phone, but side by side with the samsung/iphone equivalent it has one thing going for it, headphone jack. Every other metric it gets absolutely whooped (iphone 11 pro max has double the battery life. 40% higher brightness, etc etc)

I've seen them side by side. The outdoor brightness is better on other phones, I will agree with that. I don't agree that overall screen quality is better.

Aug 18, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #4,238 of 5,166
I would be getting either from AliExpress because neither of them are sold here. Wasn't it a male to female connector?
I think yes, it's a male to female connector.

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #4,239 of 5,166
Asus ROG 5 + Unique Melody Mest Mk2 = Blisss~~

I'm pretty happy right now,

Aug 18, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #4,240 of 5,166
Asus ROG 5 + Unique Melody Mest Mk2 = Blisss~~

I'm pretty happy right now,

Welcome to the club!. Love the sound quality coming from the rog phone 5, especially the bass while maintaining excellent details, it’s a great match for listening 80’s music.

Aug 19, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #4,242 of 5,166
Welcome to the club!. Love the sound quality coming from the rog phone 5, especially the bass while maintaining excellent details, it’s a great match for listening 80’s music.
Agreed,
at first I thought, meh, a phone, it will lose a rumble and have a harsh treble,
and boy oh boy, I was wrong,

Aug 19, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #4,243 of 5,166
That one you linked was male to male though? USB C to USB C.
Ahh, sorry my bad. That connector will use one end in your phone's type c socket and other in your dongles type c socket. The dongle will rest on the backside and can be conveniently used in wired mode.

Aug 19, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #4,244 of 5,166
I've seen them side by side. The outdoor brightness is better on other phones, I will agree with that. I don't agree that overall screen quality is better.
It really is, here ya go. Anything with colours looks washed out/blueish on the Sony. Plus that god awful aspect ratio, the photo on the iPhone has double the area because the aspect ratio forces so many sites and apps to shrink to a tiny size. Anyway to myself and my gf it’s a pretty obvious difference…Her jaw dropped when I told her the price of the sony. And I did a comparison taking pictures of objects in real life, and comparing them side by side on the screens. The Sony did not display how the object looked, colour wise it wasn’t accurrate (again washed out) the iPhone was closer to the actual colour by a long way, specially organge/red etc. This is due to the display, not the camera sensor.

What the Sony has is APtx-hd and a headphone jack, along with the photo pro app. Its why I have it. It’s not that suprising tbh, you have a 2 trillion dollar company whose main focus is phones, vs a much, much smaller (135b) company which treats phones as an afterthought and tiny part of their business.

I also think the Sony is a poor choice for us lot too, the headphone jack has a very weak output, lower than the iPhone dongle DAC in power. I like the quality, though.

1629366940736.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #4,245 of 5,166
It really is, here ya go. Anything with colours looks washed out/blueish on the Sony. Plus that god awful aspect ratio, the photo on the iPhone has double the area because the aspect ratio forces so many sites and apps to shrink to a tiny size. Anyway to myself and my gf it’s a pretty obvious difference…Her jaw dropped when I told her the price of the sony. And I did a comparison taking pictures of objects in real life, and comparing them side by side on the screens. The Sony did not display how the object looked, colour wise it wasn’t accurrate (again washed out) the iPhone was closer to the actual colour by a long way, specially organge/red etc. This is due to the display, not the camera sensor.

What the Sony has is APtx-hd and a headphone jack, along with the photo pro app. Its why I have it. It’s not that suprising tbh, you have a 2 trillion dollar company whose main focus is phones, vs a much, much smaller (135b) company which treats phones as an afterthought and tiny part of their business.

I also think the Sony is a poor choice for us lot too, the headphone jack has a very weak output, lower than the iPhone dongle DAC in power. I like the quality, though.

1629366940736.jpeg

My ASUS phone have this option adjust the color,
maybe yours too,

Screenshot_20210819-183219498.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back