Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jun 29, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #2,626 of 5,166
Just adding a bit more on listening impressions of my past phones leading up to LG V50 currently : LG V35 > LG V40 > Vivo Nex S > LG V50.

LG V35: Transparent audio quality, though i find it a bit clinical/ bright sounding and experience listening fatigue when listening over long periods.

LG V40: My 1st impression when switching from V35 to V40, was that the latter sounded 'dull'. Probably because i was too accustomed to the V35's bright sound.

Vivo Nex S: From V40 to Nex S, I was impressed with the latter's better bass, and more musical sound than the the V40.

V50: Better than Nex S for reasons as stated earlier. It has the good qualities of V35 (transparent but not as bright as the V35) & Nex S combined

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #2,627 of 5,166
So I finally bought an LG V20!! SO now I have two phones from your list, the LeTV Le Max (x900) and the V20. I would like to collect more or upgrade at some point. But I do have a question, for someone who get's most of his music from Spotify (Premium, highest settings so 320KBPS)... Will there be a noticeable difference between say an LG v20 and the Vivo xplay6 or even the LG v30?

Also can I ask for headphone recommendations here? I currently have the KZ ZS6 and would like a worthy upgrade under 70$ (I love bass, so bass-heavy ones please)

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #2,628 of 5,166
But I do have a question, for someone who get's most of his music from Spotify (Premium, highest settings so 320KBPS)... Will there be a noticeable difference between say an LG v20 and the Vivo xplay6 or even the LG v30?
Not really no, the main difference will be the characteristics of the sound but in terms of volume it'll be around the same.
I think that you would only notice a difference if you had all three phones and switched between them on the same song.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #2,632 of 5,166
Screenshot_20190630-041358_Twitter.jpg

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #2,633 of 5,166
Buy UAPP and enable bit-perfect mode (i.e. disable all audio enhancements and the like). You really won't need any mods for a good SQ!

How do you enable bit perfect mode? Is that something you do in UAPP, an android setting or is it specific to the V20?

Another question is whether it is possible to get bit perfect with spotify premium, even if it is only 320kbps? Or do you have to go through an app like UAPP? Edit: Ok, I see this is a bad question. Bit perfect is not 320kbps by definition. If I'm understanding correctly, bit perfect is lossless.

So does anyone know what happens If I'm listening to 320kbps Spotify on my Google Pixel 3a through my Leckerton UHA-6S Mkii (an external usb-dac/amp) via on the go cable? Is the music up-sampled from 320k and then processed through the Leckerton dac? That sounds like a horrible idea...

What do you all think? Is there any sense using an external dac/amp with anything but bit-perfect lossless?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #2,634 of 5,166
How do you enable bit perfect mode? Is that something you do in UAPP, an android setting or is it specific to the V20?

Another question is whether it is possible to get bit perfect with spotify premium, even if it is only 320kbps? Or do you have to go through an app like UAPP? Edit: Ok, I see this is a bad question. Bit perfect is not 320kbps by definition. If I'm understanding correctly, bit perfect is lossless.

The bit-perfect setting is within the UAPP app.
I am unsure to whether or not you will get a 44.1KHz sound with Spotify or the Android standard 48KHz, since I have not done any measurements on Oreo - With Nougat you had to enable a flag in Build.prop for that to happen (Root needed).

Jun 30, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #2,636 of 5,166
I've upgraded from Vivo Nex S to LG V50. The V50 has more spacious soundstage, slightly better bass impact and overall, more balanced and musical sound.

Oddly, I find the V50 sounds better than the V40 too, even though both are using same ESS DACs and Meridian tuned.

In my personal opinion, the V50 ranks as my best audiophile smartphone. Not forgetting, the V50 has similar large battery capacity as the Nex S, latest Snapdragon, and beautiful higher def display. Camera quality not on par with other flagships but still great and not my priority. Afterall, this is a audiophile smartphone thread :)

Hi, I tested my friends lg v40 with my Sony xb75ap extra bass earphone and I couldn't hear any bass whatsoever even after using its equalizer and presets and I don't know why is that knowing this phone 's for audiophiles. I have been using zte's nubia Z9 mini for years with this earphone and it produces punchy heavy bass and I'm so in love with this phone and I was thinking of getting the lg g8 when it hits my country, but after knowing that the v40 wouldn't produce that much of a bass I also had to assume g8 will also be the same as both were tuned by meridian audio. You said the v50's bass impact is higher than v40. So is there any chance that g8 might be better than v40?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #2,638 of 5,166

So does anyone know what happens If I'm listening to 320kbps Spotify on my Google Pixel 3a through my Leckerton UHA-6S Mkii (an external usb-dac/amp) via on the go cable? Is the music up-sampled from 320k and then processed through the Leckerton dac? That sounds like a horrible idea...

What do you all think? Is there any sense using an external dac/amp with anything but bit-perfect lossless?

1. You can.set bit perfect in uapp.setting
2. Spotify will output 3.5 mm at 48khz
3. Using external dac amp will help it play at native sample rate.

Jul 1, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #2,639 of 5,166
Hey all. I have been using a Mojo with my Fiio X3 Gen 2 for some years. The Fiio has died and I thought I might replace it with a Fiio M6.
However, I now realise that using an android phone is another option.
So this is my question. And I know its been asked before , but there are too many threads to search through
If you bypass the androids sampling, does it matter which phone you use?
I would use a micro usb to micro usb OTG cable
I'm trying to find a small android phone which I would use as a dedicated transport using usb audio player pro as the music player
For example, a Samsung J1 Mini which comes with a 4" screen and 1 gig of RAM (Is 1 gig enough)
Everone raved about the Sony Experia z3, but that was a long long time ago and have current phones caught up?

Cheers for your help.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #2,640 of 5,166
hey guys, need your help

im torn between lg v30 plus or the vivo xplay6:

A.which is a better sounding of the two? would be nice if you could describe the phones sound signature, I personally want a neutral sounding one with great resolution.

B.which is a better phone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back