Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
May 13, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #2,476 of 5,166
@artpiggo
Just one more question for enlightenment - say I get the grado, how can I check if my phone can drive it? What should I look for? Just point me in the right direction and I will do the research!

nothing can tell better than your ears.

May 14, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #2,477 of 5,166
@artpiggo
Just one more question for enlightenment - say I get the grado, how can I check if my phone can drive it? What should I look for? Just point me in the right direction and I will do the research!
Grado are usually easy to drive (often 32ohm impedance). What kind of phone do you use, and what grado model are you interested in ?
(edit : by the way you should really listen to grado headphones before buying, as they are rather bass light usually, you could be dissapointed if you prefer more impact/body ; this is from experience with SR-80 that's rather similar to their entry level SR-60, I see now that it's the model you are probably refering to)

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #2,478 of 5,166
@oliwek2
Moto g6 plus is the new phone that I have got.
I am not a bass guy, it is the mids that are my cup of tea. Have never listened to a grado before but have always wanted to own one !!
60e or 80e is what I am considering though I am not getting them in stock out here!

May 15, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #2,479 of 5,166
@artpiggo
Just one small clarification on the monk.
I am using this link for ordering - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Venture-Electronic-VE-MONK-earbud-earphone/32417311324.html
In the desc there seems to be a separate one for iOS vs Android but in the product selection I do not see the Android option. Slightly confused.
Also I do not seem to get the difference between the Smoke and the SPC choices :frowning2:

This local link seems to be limited in choices - https://www.amazon.in/Venture-Electronics-MONK-earbud-earphone/dp/B01J0S4AAS

Do help me out if you can!

May 15, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #2,480 of 5,166
The android option is 1-button mic.

Smoke is the standard one representing body color

While SPC is silver plated copper cable. It is upgraded cable.

@cannondt

May 16, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #2,483 of 5,166
If I don't use Bluetooth, ie connect directly to android phone usb port, what are my choices of portable usb dacs, equivalent SQ to Shanling M0? Thank you

Screenshot_20190516-110053_Chrome.jpg

This one should work.

Btw, m0 can used as usb dac/amp, have you tried?

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #2,484 of 5,166
Greetings.
In the last few months I’ve used the combo android phone + fiio BTR3. I got used to the nice sound quality.

Now I’ve gotten an iOS phone and the BTR3 seems like a waste because of the apple AAC bluetooth limitations.

Is there any small dongle which SQ is comparable to that of the BTR3? Its either that or buying a Shanling m0 to use through Hiby Link (which I dont like too much, id rather use VOX player on local)

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #2,485 of 5,166
Concerning the "bit perfect" topic and the issue with the standard 48khz sample rate used by android:

On rooted devices it is actually easily possible to change it to 44.1khz.
The sound quality is imo very close to using uapp then.
I did it like in the following youtube video:

I only found two places where the value was 48000 and changed them to 44100. Worked according to the "bit rate" app from play store.

Is a great way to improve spotify spotify quality.

Would this method provide "bit perfect" playback of 16 bit 44.1 KHz music files.I.e. Qobuz and or Tidal Offline music?.

May 18, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #2,486 of 5,166
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/

"LG made a staggeringly bizarre oversight in the implementation of the V30's DAC, which cannot natively support 44 kHz, 16 bit files"

:frowning2:

I will have to compare the Tidal/Qobuz offline re-sampled quality with the same track in a non-re-sampled format. Though it's notoriously tricky comparing two very similar audio sources unless you can seamlessly transition from one source to another within a randomized double blind test methodology. i.e. The Placebo effect of knowing in advance that a sample rate has a bigger number can create a cognitive bias. Listeners expect higher bit/freq rates to sound better thus the only proven way to remove the bias (placebo) is to not know in advance. Though if you have another cognitive bias (monetary), even if you did dare to double blind test yourself and found no significant difference between 16 bit 44.1 Khz audio and 24 Bit 96 Khz audio your hardly going to drop your business "Hi Res audio plan" if it's what pays your own bills. Though in comparison, not that much harm done. Compared to the cognitive bias (psychologies)which continue to severely hold back humanities ability to future proof some* of it's cultures (e.g. sustainable agriculture and energy systems) and innovate (* There are notable exceptions.e.g. Costa Rica is very pro-biodiversity whilst some even wealthy country's are more pro Coal Jobs. You'd hope they'd be a little more technically savvy but old habits die hard for some whilst others are more adaptable and learn/innovate faster to new challenges )

What could of been :frowning2: or will be :). As the ignorant continue to " ----- as usual" let's hope there are no significant positive (it's not a good positive) feedback loops like, Methane trapped in permafrost (there is!). It's rationale to be concerned (reflective consideration of all the facts( Cost V Benefits) but fear is only useful when it's needed (e.g. Flight or fight response) & some fear irrationally:wink: ( e.g. Ghosts! Boo!). So, Hi Res audio that's well above the known threshold of human audio perception. Ghost sound?.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #2,487 of 5,166
May 18, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #2,488 of 5,166
Just use neutron and uapp for tidal/qobuz

@artpiggo The thing is I'm lucky enough to live in area where I can escape (from the "rat race") into beautiful countryside with clean air and crystal clear water. But no WiFI connection and I'm not convinced (yet to really compare) that the Tidal/qobuz offline > android re-sample is as "crystal clear" (hi fidelity) as say my PC, where the Qobuz app plays direct to my USB sound card. But it could be, if only the offline music wasn't unnecessarily re-sampled. As a fellow "high quality audio" enthusiast I'm sure you can appreciate that's it's frustrating to know that the quality exists and you have the hardware to play it ( Phone DAC) but the software is, well in the context of Qobuz/tidal offline audio quality in android, not fit for purpose. I know it's not difficult (though of course I don't advocate) to make your own bit perfect recordings (clones) from these streaming services (there reliable too), though it's not as convenient and it's rather disappointing when your paying good money for a service that promotes hi res audio inc offline music, yet does not provide the software on android to play that offline music in it's native format. I rest my case :). Of course the most effective way to maintain the very best "audio format" is by looking after our Ears ( Atomic Resolution).

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #2,489 of 5,166
Would this method provide "bit perfect" playback of 16 bit 44.1 KHz music files.I.e. Qobuz and or Tidal Offline music?.

I am not an expert what exactly happens inside Android but I could not make out a difference between UAPP and 44.1 output while I pretty easily could between 48khz and 44.1khz. The difference is not big and if your are not totally focused on the music you will likely not hear it. My subjective impression at least.

I'd actually prefer to use a way where there was no need to root the device.

Unfortunately for Spotify I could not find any option that worked well for me except to root the device an change to 44

I use UAPP too for the Device I have without root option (Meizu 16th). Sound is great. Usability is also ok. But it is still by far not as good as using Spotify or even google play music. Especially when you want to download your tracks it is just not convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back