Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Oct 5, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #1,966 of 5,166
Sure. I write articles and reviews for an italian blog, Evosmart, and got to know about the NEX A and S through my editor in chief. He always got 6 to 9 hours with moderate usage, he was the guy suggested me this phone because of the DAC and top notch battery life, since I was looking for something better-lasting after selling my V20 and had awful problems with 3 LG V30s OLED pannels, which in low light showed spots where color gradients and brightness were uneven. Couldn't accept that from a 2017 flagship. Luckily, the AMOLED on NEX S is made by Samsung, so I've got any worries this time.

I'll also write an extended Audio review for NEX S as I did for Redmi Note 5, but, you know, it will be in italian. Sorry for maccheronyng.

Yeah i remember my case with LG last year. Got really excited when V30+ launched in my country only to be disappointed by the defective panels twice back to back. Got frustrated and bought S8 later. I haven't yet decided whether to get G7 now or wait for V40. It will not be Nex S that's for sure but nothing is certain. I will most probably decide in next 10 days.

Oct 5, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #1,970 of 5,166
So bad news for me that today I was thinking to give the order of V30+.
What other audiophile phone?
I had a V30+. The screen was fine. If you buy used, you take your chances although I don't think LG makes it anymore.

Oct 6, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #1,971 of 5,166
I had a V30+. The screen was fine. If you buy used, you take your chances although I don't think LG makes it anymore.
They upgraded OLED technology on V40, so chanches are minimal now. By the way, battery life seems worse and not so optimized like it was on V30, as early reviewers are saying on the web. It has the same DAC chip you find on G7 and V30 tho.

Oct 6, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #1,972 of 5,166
Can't wait to get my hands on V40.

John Buchanan, CEO at Meridian Audio comments, “We are both thrilled and excited to continue to develop our innovative partnership with LG, in what is a first for Meridian. Despite being a challenging environment to work within due to its compact size, we have been able to use our expertise and pioneering technologies to create a cutting-edge device in collaboration with LG. This is a major step forward that will deliver high-quality, natural sound to anyone, anywhere.”

Oct 6, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #1,974 of 5,166
Can't wait to get my hands on V40.

John Buchanan, CEO at Meridian Audio comments, “We are both thrilled and excited to continue to develop our innovative partnership with LG, in what is a first for Meridian. Despite being a challenging environment to work within due to its compact size, we have been able to use our expertise and pioneering technologies to create a cutting-edge device in collaboration with LG. This is a major step forward that will deliver high-quality, natural sound to anyone, anywhere.”

Meridian audio just tunes the sound output only right ? Am not sure if they have any role in hardware modification in V40.

Oct 6, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #1,975 of 5,166
Meridian audio just tunes the sound output only right ? Am not sure if they have any role in hardware modification in V40.

Sounds like Meridian Audio have modified the setup to certain extent since they mentioned challenge working on compact setup. Look forward to hear how they have tuned V40. There are some many daps around with the same dac but with different sound signature depending on how they are tuned.

Oct 6, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #1,978 of 5,166
really interested how they compare in terms of audio performance since I'm on the verge of getting a new smartphone (my LG V20 screen shattered into a million peaces after an unlucky drop a few days ago >.>)

the G7 is leading the race for me atm, but the V30 and Note9 are still in it

edit: changed my mind after digging some more, I don't like the design of the G7.
Still trying to decide between Note9 and V30, they both have a lot of pros and cons when compared to each other : )
Which sounds better than note9?

Oct 6, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #1,979 of 5,166
Interesting comments from an Exynos Note 9 user:

dannejanne

I recently accuired a Note 9 (Exynos version). For comparison I have an LG G7 too. Prior to that a V30. As I was disappointed with the Note 8 audio I did not have any expectations.

I was wrong. They have upped their game a lot with the Note 9. A very decent amount of space in the soundstage. Much wider soundstage than the Note 8 had. The bas is also very well controlled and detailed. In fact the difference from the Note 8 is so huge that it acually starts sniffing my G7 in the butt. The difference is really not that big. Not as big as one would believe anyway. It's so good that I don't really miss my G7 that much
Is the note 9 better

Oct 6, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #1,980 of 5,166
Which sounds better than note9?
If sound quality is the MAIN focus for a smartphone, then the LG phones are it, AFAIC. But if you want a great phone with decent sound quality, there are a lot of options out there that are cheaper than the Note 9. But if you have to have the RAM and storage capabilities, pen, and other Samsung-only features like desktop mode, then the Note 9 is KING.

I'm sort of stuck using Verizon (CDMA) so I can't use GSM phones that most of the other companies use. I wish I could because phones from Vivo and OnePlus look intriguing to me.

My two cents.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back