Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Sep 16, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #1,906 of 5,166
Meizu does not support native DSD.

Sep 16, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #1,907 of 5,166
I am one of those who doubt MQA. I really believe that MQA is just a remaster of normal version. I have faith more in DSD and 24bit/96kHz+ hires.

I am comparing MQA Tidal with non MQA Tidal. As you may know that i am a streaming only guy. I think audiophile phones and streaming services is a saviour for us music lovers. I discover new music every day. Recently i heard Christine and the Queens's Chaleur Humaine and i still have goosebumps :)

Sep 16, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #1,908 of 5,166
Sep 16, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #1,909 of 5,166
Meizu does not support native DSD.

That's explain what happened

Hi @artpiggo, do you still have Meizu Pro 5 on your possession? I have trouble activating bitperfect for DSD on Neutron and UAPP. DOP on neutron gives me faint white noise, I can only go up to 88.2KHz with DSD files, I tried everything from direct, PCM, offload, etc. UAPP only gives me 176KHz.
I have a problem on Neutron with LG Hifi Plus too, bitperfect works fine with DOP setting, but it's full blast on volume and no way I can control it

Do you know hardware volume control fix for LG Hifi Plus in Neutron, UAPP was intuitive enough to know the problem with this DAC and inform me to enable hardware volume control

Sep 20, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #1,911 of 5,166
S7 exynos is not bad with iems.what headphones do you use? S7 amp is weak but sound is clear .
Still use it sometimes with my ie8 .

I have got currently UE 900s and MEE's M-Duo (most of the time I'm using the M-Duo as I'm basshead).

I absolutely don't like the sound I'm getting from my Exynos (and I kinda liked the sound I'm getting from my ASUS sub-100$ model). With Dolby applied it is still far from good. Viper4A - still far from good. Via Fiio's BTR 1 using aptX the sound is good, so the DAC&AMP is clearly subpar (ok, maybe not a total disaster, but 1-2 steps behind of what BTR 1 can get out of the music via the Bluetooth.)

However, with Bongiovi (God Bless them) I can get a decent quality. And when I apply Viper on top of that, I can actually enjoy listening.

Shout out: Common, no one has tried Bongiovi on their phone!? Why to spend $ to upgrade phone, DAC and IEM if you can get better quality merely via the software?! Please try it with your smartphone today and post the impression here.

It takes exactly 1 minute to do it: Download JetAudio. Start playing your favorite song. Go to Sound Effects, select Bongiovi, select Phoenix Headphones profile and hit that damn big B button. That's all! Once the B button faded back, it means you hit it again for more 20-30 seconds of evaluation of the DSP.

Sep 21, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #1,912 of 5,166
I am comparing MQA Tidal with non MQA Tidal. As you may know that i am a streaming only guy. I think audiophile phones and streaming services is a saviour for us music lovers. I discover new music every day. Recently i heard Christine and the Queens's Chaleur Humaine and i still have goosebumps :)

A month ago Tidal had a playlist purporting to be the music popular with young people ( teenagers) in South Africa. I spent some of the evening checking it out. Ultimately I just did not care for almost all of it, but what is important is that Tidal afforded me the opportunity to explore. I don't have Roon, but there were brief informational biographies or other artist info. I have done the same with other genres. I can sometimes hear that a selection is in MQA, but ultimately what counts is initial recording quality. "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear." Apparently MQA has been remastered (?) with regard to what was intended by the original artist, mixer and/or engineer. I like MQA, but it is not the "end all, be all".

Sep 22, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #1,913 of 5,166
I'm in trouble....I've found a vivo xplay 128gb for around 250€, but....a LG v30+ iits possible to find for 350€....for a all day use the audio side is so different to justify a 2016 vs 2018 phone? My items are the fiio fh5

Sep 22, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #1,914 of 5,166
I'm in trouble....I've found a vivo xplay 128gb for around 250€, but....a LG v30+ iits possible to find for 350€....for a all day use the audio side is so different to justify a 2016 vs 2018 phone? My items are the fiio fh5
You found vivo xplay 6 in europe? (Because you use euro price)I recommend you to take it and use it only for audio like i do with my mx4 pro.

Sep 22, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #1,915 of 5,166
I have got currently UE 900s and MEE's M-Duo (most of the time I'm using the M-Duo as I'm basshead).

I absolutely don't like the sound I'm getting from my Exynos (and I kinda liked the sound I'm getting from my ASUS sub-100$ model). With Dolby applied it is still far from good. Viper4A - still far from good. Via Fiio's BTR 1 using aptX the sound is good, so the DAC&AMP is clearly subpar (ok, maybe not a total disaster, but 1-2 steps behind of what BTR 1 can get out of the music via the Bluetooth.)

However, with Bongiovi (God Bless them) I can get a decent quality. And when I apply Viper on top of that, I can actually enjoy listening.

Shout out: Common, no one has tried Bongiovi on their phone!? Why to spend $ to upgrade phone, DAC and IEM if you can get better quality merely via the software?! Please try it with your smartphone today and post the impression here.

It takes exactly 1 minute to do it: Download JetAudio. Start playing your favorite song. Go to Sound Effects, select Bongiovi, select Phoenix Headphones profile and hit that damn big B button. That's all! Once the B button faded back, it means you hit it again for more 20-30 seconds of evaluation of the DSP.
When i use my s7 with my ie8 i experiment with the parametric eq in UAPP . in general i dont like eq i prefer flat sound especially with my hd600 . Ie8 needs some tweaking to shine though.

Sep 23, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #1,916 of 5,166
I am confused. You mean pro 7 plus or newest 16th Plus.

Btw, better buy vivo for better sound and camera.

After meizu parts away with exynos, it cuts all audio grade chips. Very weird strategy. And camera is not top notch like in older model in the past. They were really flagship killer.

So you are saying Meizu has declined in terms of audio quality with their transition to Qualcomm chips?

Are you saying phones like the Vivo Nex S are the best audio phones outside of USB DACs?

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #1,918 of 5,166
A month ago Tidal had a playlist purporting to be the music popular with young people ( teenagers) in South Africa. I spent some of the evening checking it out. Ultimately I just did not care for almost all of it, but what is important is that Tidal afforded me the opportunity to explore. I don't have Roon, but there were brief informational biographies or other artist info. I have done the same with other genres. I can sometimes hear that a selection is in MQA, but ultimately what counts is initial recording quality. "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear." Apparently MQA has been remastered (?) with regard to what was intended by the original artist, mixer and/or engineer. I like MQA, but it is not the "end all, be all".

I can understand, MQA of poor recordings will not sound good automatically. I also saw it on their homepage that MQA is a compression technique to reduce the size of original recordings.

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #1,919 of 5,166
So you are saying Meizu has declined in terms of audio quality with their transition to Qualcomm chips?

Are you saying phones like the Vivo Nex S are the best audio phones outside of USB DACs?

It's LG or vivo. depend on what sound style you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back