Best Sennheiser on-ear or over-ear headphones on the go
Dec 22, 2010 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tsalib

New Head-Fier
[size=10pt]Hi All,[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]I am shopping for some good quality headphones for listening to music off a phone or MP3 player on the go. I have been reading a lot on your forums the last few days but still can't decide what's best for me. [/size][size=10pt]I like Sennheiser because they seem to be good value for money.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Here is a wrap up of what I'm looking for:[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Brand: Sennheiser[/size]
[size=10pt]Style: On-Ear or Over-Ear[/size]
[size=10pt]Usage: On the go[/size]
[size=10pt]Budget: Around the $150 mark[/size]
[size=10pt]Essential features:[/size][size=10pt][/size]
  1. [size=10pt]Not too large[/size]
  2. [size=10pt]Comfortable[/size]
  3. [size=10pt]Basic noise cancellation[/size]
  4. [size=10pt]Good bass[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]I considered the following models while researching but can't decide[/size]

[size=10pt]PX 200, PMX 200, HD 218, PX 360[/size]

[size=10pt]Any suggestions based on your experiences?[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Thanks.[/size]

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 11
Has to be the HD-25-II for me... but that's not around the $150 mark at all.
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 11
OK I think I've settled for the HD 238 Precision. Given that I'm going to run them off an MP3 player or a phone, do you think they will sound good or am I better of getting the HD 218 instead?

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 11
The HD238 seems to be better sounding when amped, at least according to ljokerl's headphone comparison review.  Also keep in mind that the HD238 is open, so it may not work well on the commute.  Then again, the HD218 and HD228 aren't very isolating either.

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:

Quote:
tongue.gif

Yeah but even if I'm willing to stretch my budget, would they be good on the move? I'm not talking about going for a jog in them, just the daily commute. I mean they're marketed as monitoring headphones

I'd go for the HD25-II. They're known for being very good portable headphones.

Dec 22, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:

Quote:
tongue.gif

Yeah but even if I'm willing to stretch my budget, would they be good on the move? I'm not talking about going for a jog in them, just the daily commute. I mean they're marketed as monitoring headphones

Those guys are definitely portable. So small and so sturdy.

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #9 of 11
kjk1281 has a point. HD 238 are open headphones and do not provide good passive noise attenuation. Looking at your list, you may want to consider PX 200 (or the newer PX 200-II). 

Quote:
OK I think I've settled for the HD 238 Precision. Given that I'm going to run them off an MP3 player or a phone, do you think they will sound good or am I better of getting the HD 218 instead?

Quote:
The HD238 seems to be better sounding when amped, at least according to ljokerl's headphone comparison review.  Also keep in mind that the HD238 is open, so it may not work well on the commute.  Then again, the HD218 and HD228 aren't very isolating either.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Dec 23, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 11
Yeah I dont think I would want to go for open headphones and sorry but the HD 25 are way over my budget and I wouldnt consider used headphones.

How about the HD 228 then? How do they compare with the PX200(-II)?

I also came across PX 360 which seem to be closed headphones and reasonably portable but there is not much information about them on here, does anyone know much about them?

Thanks for all your openions guys

Quote:
kjk1281 has a point. HD 238 are open headphones and do not provide good passive noise attenuation. Looking at your list, you may want to consider PX 200 (or the newer PX 200-II). 

Quote:

Quote:

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 11
Get the PX200-II, they sound like baby HD25s, with more recesed highs and a bit more spacious sound. Noise isolation is ok, considering they're so tiny. I couldn't recommend the HD238 since I did not like them, plus they are utterly useless outside of a quiet room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back