Best Schiit Amp for HD 650?
Dec 11, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #17 of 67
Right now i just use the Yunlong D100 mark 2 to drive my hd650
I'm try to find an upgrade, to Schiit too, or maybe use d100 as dac then get a Lyr 2 or vahalla 2 for an amp
Would you guys think that would be good idea or not?

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #18 of 67
Sorry double post

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #19 of 67
I currently have the Asgard2 with thee HD650s. Love the combo. I like that the Asgard2 is able to drive a wide range of headphones for my future purchases. I am looking forward to purchasing either thee Lyr2 or the Valhalla2 to jump into the tube amp scene. It is going to be a hard decision but you will not be disappointed. Good luck!

Dec 12, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #20 of 67
Valhalla 2 for HD-650s without question. The Ly2 and Asgard 2 would compete for second choice.

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #22 of 67
I'm considering between Valhalla 2 and Asgard 2. I will be using the meridian explorer2 as my source, it already has amplification so what I'm wondering is if that will it make it easier for the Asgard 2 to drive the HD650's. I basically have no idea on how multiple amplifications work together.

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #24 of 67
Does it also pair well with T1 ? I mean Valhalla 2 ? 

Sorry for the delayed reply. Of all the $500 and below Schiit amps, the Valhalla 2 would be my top pick for the T1; it drives the most voltage into 600 ohms of any of the others.

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #25 of 67
What makes the Lyr 2 more versatile and future-proof than Valhalla?

dL

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #26 of 67
Lyr has a bit more power; so you could use it with more power hungry cans.  I myself chose a Valhalla though as I was more worried about the opposite. 

Mar 28, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #27 of 67
I'm confused, the output impedance of the Valhalla 2 says it is only 14 ohms.  The HD 650's have a 300 ohm impedance that needs to be met to accurately push them.  Am I missing something?  Is it because the Valhalla 2 is Output Transformer-Less?

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #28 of 67
Minimum desirable output/input impedance ratio is 1:10, so optimal for Valhalla/HD650 which is 1:21.  The 14 ohm output is why they had to put the gain switch on the Valhalla 2 to drive low impedance cans more effectively, because 1:2 or 3 doesn't really cut it.

Mar 28, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #29 of 67
Hmm, I'm still confused.  Could you explain it to me like I'm a 9 year old with a head injury?  I thought that the ideal was to get as close to 1:1 as possible for high impedance headphones because they are resisting the flow, and need something to push back equally to get the most accurate representation of the source material.

Mar 28, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #30 of 67
  Hmm, I'm still confused.  Could you explain it to me like I'm a 9 year old with a head injury?  I thought that the ideal was to get as close to 1:1 as possible for high impedance headphones because they are resisting the flow, and need something to push back equally to get the most accurate representation of the source material.

Let me quote myself as I tried to explain how this whole impedance thing works:

"
An amp is a really dumb device. Like a guy, it can't focus on two things at once, or at least, do two things right at once. Also, it always focus on the bigger thing. "Big = get my attention" kind of logic.  The "things" in this scenario are loads (resistances/impedance). By itself, an amp has a real small thing to exclusively focus on, its output impedance. It will drive all of its attention (voltage) to it. When you show him a bigger load (headphone), it will shift its attention to this new huge thing.  However, he will always focus also a little bit on its poor and lonely little output impedance, making him work on two things at once, hence bad (remember, it's like a guy).  As it tries to drive two things, it will lose focus and mess with both, doing poorly. The trick here is to make either:

A -> The headphone load so much more interesting (making it BIG like 300 ohms ++) than the output impedance so the amp will almost exclusively focus on the headphones.

or...

B -> Make the output impedance boring and not interesting (making it small) so whatever else you show the amp (low-impedance headphones), it will exclusively focus on that.

And that's how an amp work. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back