Best recorded albums of all time?
May 21, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #196 of 464
What to you guys are some of the best recorded and produced albums of all time. For me it would be (no paticular order):

Pink Floyd - DSOTM
Micheal Jackson (Pretty much any of them)
Metallica - S&M

I've heard DSOTM in several versions included the Hybrid SACD and the HDTracks version, but I still find The Wall to be Pink Floyd's best recorded album, even if DSOTM is a better album from a musical perspective, both IMHO. Do people really find DSOTM to be better recorded?

May 22, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #197 of 464
Gaucho is indeed a great sounding album - I have the MFSL version. The title track is pretty weird, lyrically-speaking:

Who is the gaucho, amigo?
Why is he standing
In your spangled leather poncho
And your elevator shoes?
Bodacious cowboys
Such as your friend
Will never be welcome here
High in the Custerdome

Here is some interesting back story/speculation on the song itself: http://feverdreams.whatsmykarma.com/gauchothesong.htm

May 24, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #198 of 464

What to you guys are some of the best recorded and produced albums of all time. For me it would be (no paticular order):

Pink Floyd - DSOTM
Micheal Jackson (Pretty much any of them)
Metallica - S&M

I've heard DSOTM in several versions included the Hybrid SACD and the HDTracks version, but I still find The Wall to be Pink Floyd's best recorded album, even if DSOTM is a better album from a musical perspective, both IMHO. Do people really find DSOTM to be better recorded?

I picked up the digital remaster of DSOTM based on recommendations in this thread and I find it more impressive than the original release of The Wall.  I don't have have a remastered copy of The Wall for an apples-to-apples comparison, though.

May 31, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #199 of 464
MFSL for the Wall and DSOTM CDs are pretty unbeatable,
I heard a hi rez 24/44 of DSOTM and it was terrible, brickwalled and 
no dynamics

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #200 of 464
Guyz, how come jazz albums all sound like it's recorded well?  For example, Miles Davis trumpets are very detailed textures, and also Duke Ellington's stuff is phenomenal.  I have a collection of Marantz audiophile tracks and there is one CD with only horns, believe me, I have never heard anything as detailed as those tracks, they will sound polished on the most crappiest of headphones.

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #201 of 464
  Guyz, how come jazz albums all sound like it's recorded well?  For example, Miles Davis trumpets are very detailed textures, and also Duke Ellington's stuff is phenomenal.  I have a collection of Marantz audiophile tracks and there is one CD with only horns, believe me, I have never heard anything as detailed as those tracks, they will sound polished on the most crappiest of headphones.

That's a good question. I think that perhaps the people behind the labels treated it as great art worthy of preservation rather than a means to a vacation home in the Hamptons. Just my uninformed hypothesis.

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #202 of 464
popcorn.gif

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #203 of 464
So I will add my 1/2 cent --- 

Ozric Tentacles - Spirals in Hyperspace
Supertramp - Breakfast in America
Lindsey Stirling
Burlap to Cashmere (Anybody Out There and Self-Titled)
Imogen Heap - Ellipse
Mazzy Star - Tonight That I might see
Rodrigo y Gabriela

-Mike

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #204 of 464
I thought it was odd to see Master and Commander in this thread, but I just listened to the soundtrack and wow! Flawless recording. Love the drumming in particular.

Jun 29, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #205 of 464

I picked up the digital remaster of DSOTM based on recommendations in this thread and I find it more impressive than the original release of The Wall.  I don't have have a remastered copy of The Wall for an apples-to-apples comparison, though.

I highly recommend the remastered The Wall release, it's great. I bought both - remastered The Wall and DSOTM, and was very impressed with The Wall remastered CD.

Jun 30, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #206 of 464
Here are some of mine that I don't think I've seen on here yet:

Alice In Chains - Unplugged
Fourplay - Fourplay
Nirvana - In Utero
John Williams - A Tribute to John Williams - An 80th Birthday Celebration
Dave Weckl Band - Synergy
Dave Weckl Band - Multiplicity
Chick Corea and Return to Forever - Light as a Feather
Vital Tech Tones - Vital Tech Tones 2

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #207 of 464
Yep, Master and Commander and Pirates of the Carribean are surprises. Lord of the Rings is not bad either. Gladiator used to be one of those "must have" recordings for headphones as well. Soundtracks seem to have quality recordings in many cases, maybe they have budgets that go beyond just CD quality as they have to play in some pretty sophisticated cinimas these days... American Beauty remains my all time favourite but Chicago keeps bubbling up on my playlist as well (maybe I just love the music).

I also heard the Blue Man Group's album at the Krix factory in Adelaide some years ago and bought a DVD just for the soundtrack... superb, but you better love drums!

More recent releases I've enjoyed the recording quality of, as well as the music, includes the Sherlock Holmes movie sountracks (from both movies). Nice.

Cheers,

TonyTripleA

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #208 of 464
A few off the list, by no means the best ever, but as good or better than anything else I have:
Blonde On Blonde
Trout Mask Replica
White Light/White Heat
In The Court Of The Crimson King
Volunteers
Fire Of Love
Yerself Is Steam
Down Colorful Hill
& many, many more...
(roughly chronological, kept it in rock since I still need to explore other genres)

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #209 of 464
These are by no means the best, but sound really great and receive a lot of play on my rig...

Steely Dan "Aja"
Neil Young "Harvest"
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers "Damn the Torpedos"
Ray Lamontagne "Till The Sun Turns Black"

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #210 of 464
These are currently my favorite recordings ever:

1. Muddy Waters: Folk Singer 24/96

2. Bill Evans: Complete Village Vangard Recordings

3. Roxy Music: Avalon

4. Eric Clapton: Unplugged

5. Diana Krall: Live in Paris

Users who are viewing this thread