Best Rapper Now?
Jul 22, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #136 of 177

Quote:
Hurt me soul. Dope song.

Kid Cudi is catchy, which is why he's big on the radio. I don't think he's a lyricist, far from it. Only thing I like from him is his Man on the Moon project. Mostly because of G.O.O.D Music's backing and concept of the album, along with Common's narration, story and good beats it turned out as a solid piece. Enter Galactic, Pursuit of Happiness, Alive and Sky Might Fall being my favorites.

True True. 

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #137 of 177
o surreal u no when lasers coming out? This is my most anticipated album of 2010

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #138 of 177
A lot of people here seem to really like Lupe Fiasco. I've seen him live, and he's pretty awesome, but to classify Lupe as rap would be wrong imo. He leans way closer to hip-hop than rap. Furthermore, to classify Lupe as the best MC in any category is probably pushing it.

That spot should be reserved for the likes of B.I.G., Raekwon, Ghostface, GZA, and of course OutKast.

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #139 of 177

Quote:
A lot of people here seem to really like Lupe Fiasco. I've seen him live, and he's pretty awesome, but to classify Lupe as rap would be wrong imo. He leans way closer to hip-hop than rap. Furthermore, to classify Lupe as the best MC in any category is probably pushing it.

That spot should be reserved for the likes of B.I.G., Raekwon, Ghostface, GZA, and of course OutKast.

Oh I was just responding to the "now" part of the question. Of course the above will be on top, but in todays oasis of rap...I'll put my money on Lupe. 

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #140 of 177
Goku: Nah man, no one knows when its slated to drop. There's a petition going around on his blog that you can sign for the fun of it. It's supposed to go to Atlantic and push them for a release. It's been too long of a wait...

boclown: The OP asked for best right now. I give that to Lupe without a doubt in my mind, no pushing whatsoever. Though, like I said before, when you bring in the late greats and vets things aren't so clear. 

He is great live. Energy for days.  

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #142 of 177
I don't care for Ghostface so I haven't kept up with his material. As for Raekwon, GZA and OutKast look at albums like OB4CL v OB4CL2, Liquid v anything recent, etc. you can see that they are no longer up to speed, if you will. That's like mentioning Nas, Common, Talib, Mos, etc. sure they are still active but I'm sure everyone will agree that they had their time and have already secured their semi-legendary/legendary status already. I interpreted the OP (read it again, maybe it'll read differently) as what is on rotation and being released right now. A name and everything attributed to it is one thing, but current material is something else.

Oh and have I missed an OutKast album? I thought they haven't dropped anything since the early 2000's. 

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #143 of 177
I don't know if I can agree with you about Raekwon, GZA, or Mos Def wanning right now.

Raekwon's OB4CL2 is a sick album, and is listed on most critics list of best rap albums of 2009.

GZA released Pro Tools in 2008, which was lyrically unbeleivable.

Mos Def put out The Ecstatic last year, which was equally well received as OB4CL2, and also one of his best works imo.

You're right in saying that OutKast hasn't put out a new album, but that is because they haven't yet put out as a group. But Big Boi just released a killer new album, and Andre 3000 is reputed to be in the process of doing so soon.

I'm not trying to be a troll btw, but I think that people, esp. on these forums, have a narrow view of rap. You obviously don't, though.

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #144 of 177

Quote:
Goku: Nah man, no one knows when its slated to drop. There's a petition going around on his blog that you can sign for the fun of it. It's supposed to go to Atlantic and push them for a release. It's been too long of a wait...

boclown: The OP asked for best right now. I give that to Lupe without a doubt in my mind, no pushing whatsoever. Though, like I said before, when you bring in the late greats and vets things aren't so clear. 

He is great live. Energy for days.  

Are you serious!? What Lupe needs to hurry up. IF this album is not 100X better than his other albums....then im cry

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #145 of 177
"my rap name Lupe
but my daddy named me warrior
this is a memorial"

Lupe is the best rapper alive, wayne is loosing his edge and pac/biggy are dead. Eminem fell off the horse - pilled out.

About old school it can hardly be compaired to new school - they are whole different genres. I love both like my children.

Sam-fi

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #146 of 177
OB4CL2 was a solid album but when you set a standard so high (OB4CL1), topping it is incredibly hard to do. I don't know maybe it's just me but I need a refresher sometimes that can bring me back to the golden age. It failed to do that.

As for Pro Tools I only gave it a quick playthrough because nothing at all really caught my attention. I might have to give it another spin then and see if I missed anything because honestly it wasn't up to par with his older stuff as well as other artists' work around that time. The Renaissance and Graduation are a few that come to mind.

The Ecstatic was good, I forgot about it to be honest. I take what I said back. Plus his verse on Reflection Eternal's album was on point as well. RPM was solid but not enough to put Talib back in the place he had with BlackStar.

Now thinking about it as I type, I think it's just me expecting a lot more from artists that I hold highly and when they don't come correct it lowers my bar even lower than someone that might listen to it without an prior expectations. 

It's also a matter of taste. Which sometimes is just too strong and fogs up your objectivity. I'm more into that soulful, witty, honest, mellowed out style. The Roots, Mos, Q-Tip, ATCQ, Talib, Common, Kanye, Lupe, Little Brother, Slum Village, The Fugees, etc., you get my drift. So anything with this style, if done right, stands out more to me. You can understand if I don't think GZA and Raekwon aren't the best thing since sliced bread. Though skill is skill and that can't be blurred.

Quote:
Are you serious!? What Lupe needs to hurry up. IF this album is not 100X better than his other albums....then im cry

It's not in Lupe's hands anymore. He has already handed it over to the label (Atlantic), its up to them to release whenever they feel they have generated enough interest, potential sales, propaganda, etc. Though it's weird because aside from the Steppin' Lasers tour there hasn't been much exposure. I don't think it's possible to even be 100x better, you can't multiply by infinity. :wink:  jk

It'll be good, trust.

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #147 of 177
WAH! Those b words! Man cant wait for that album to drop. Seriously, if people don't already know about Lupe, then they're not going to buy the new album. Easy as that. They need to release it. Maybe they're punishing us for all the leaks. 

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #148 of 177

Quote:
WAH! Those b words! Man cant wait for that album to drop. Seriously, if people don't already know about Lupe, then they're not going to buy the new album. Easy as that. They need to release it. Maybe they're punishing us for all the leaks. 

I don't know. I think he's gonna get at least one good single off this album. I mean, I listened to a crappy recording of "Beautiful Lasers" on youtube from a live performance and I'm stoked. If mainstream people liked what he had to say before, he's gotta have something now. Especially because it should be a more upbeat album.

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #150 of 177
I really think Eminem is the in the best shape of his life right now. His lyrics have more depth than "Slim Shady" or "Marshall Mathers" LPs, but he still has that same flow, finally returning from the dug-induced stupor of Encore...

Aside from him, Immortal Technique is great. If you think rap is just about rims and chains, listen to his track "Dance with the Devil". It's an eye opener.

Crooked I is a killer MC, but I really wish he could get beyond all the "Blat Blat, I'm harder than you" bull he spits all the time. He's got some bars, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back