Best Rapper Now?
Jul 25, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #166 of 177

Quote:
Nice post. Good call on bringing Eso and P.O.S to the thread. Getting some people on AOTP and Rhymesayers is always good.

Used to rotate AOTP pretty hard but I got tired of what you called the tough guy rhetoric, self-promoting verses, religious topics, etc. Though a Stoupe and Esoteric track is always bound to be on point. 

To be honest I've never heard of Dälek, I'll give them a listen. Sounds like something I'll appreciate though. Thanks.

Thanks for the follow up!  Everyone... listen to this man!  Two collectives of talent that aren't to be missed!  Although, I've already seen quite a few Rhymesayers artists mentioned, so keep up the good work everyone!

One of the funnier punchlines I've heard on a hip-hop track:

"Army of the Pharaohs never make love songs,
We finger f*ck b*tches with Freddy Krueger gloves on" 
wink_face.gif

Is that too much for this forum?  If yes, I'll edit it out of this post.

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #167 of 177
Haha, they always have something witty to say around their self promotions. Gotta love it. Not sure if it's too much, it might be.

Wow, I just played a few songs from Absence and don't really know what to make of it. It's extremely raw, emotional, dark, and jagged. It's definitely an acquired taste. Geez.. I might just have to tip toe around some of the lighter stuff and get a feel for their style.

At first it gave me the impression of something like Endtroducing... meets Revolutionary Vol. 1 but I can't even categorize this music, haha.

Jul 25, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #168 of 177
It might be personal taste, but I feel like the beat is too loud for the lyrics on Dalek...

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #169 of 177

Quote:
It might be personal taste, but I feel like the beat is too loud for the lyrics on Dalek...

The mix is one of the strengths, in my opinion.  Just as with well-made "rock" music that includes vocals, the music isn't relegated to backdrop status and is instead allowed to take on a life of its own.  One element plays off the other to create one cohesive composition.  My take is that the vocals are mixed too far forward in (most) modern pop music and the instrumentation is simply provided as a functional way to fill in blank space or to supply a repetitious hook meant to engage the listener on a substratal level.  That's why so much of it is easily remixed: the production was given second-class status and the "backdrop" is easily interchangeable because of it.  Some roll their eyes at those Kids Bop commercials, but the fact is that 99.9% of commercially-minded music is made to be a sing along anyway and, when it comes down to it, is the kid-friendly version really any more rudimentary than the original cut?  To me, vocals are best used as an instrument (because the human voice is one... and a very diverse and engaging one at that) and should be integrated seamlessly into the composition rather than be kept on a separate, towering pedestal.  Just my two cents.

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #170 of 177
For me it was more that I couldn't understand the lyrics. I wish I could have understood it, after your good review.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #173 of 177
I'm probably just so used to the way modern pop hip hop is mastered my ears just aren't accustomed to that extra little search.

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #174 of 177

Quote:
I'm probably just so used to the way modern pop hip hop is mastered my ears just aren't accustomed to that extra little search.

I kind of know what you mean. Before I loved how public enemy and grandmaster flash's flow and then I outgrew them and started listening to some white indie artists such as Aesop/immortal technique and got used to their low production values and choppy flows and then I outgrew them and looked for artists kicking modern beats and eventually made my way to where I am now with :
Nas
Blu
Shad
Wu-Tang
etc
I mean some of the oldschool beats with jdilla and pete rock and premo are cool but others are just too slow or outdated for me. 

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #175 of 177

Quote:
I kind of know what you mean. Before I loved how public enemy and grandmaster flash's flow and then I outgrew them and started listening to some white indie artists such as Aesop/immortal technique and got used to their low production values and choppy flows and then I outgrew them and looked for artists kicking modern beats and eventually made my way to where I am now with :
Nas
Blu
Shad
Wu-Tang
etc
I mean some of the oldschool beats with jdilla and pete rock and premo are cool but others are just too slow or outdated for me. 

blink.gif

Immortal Technique is Peruvian. Have you listened to 3rd World? hehe I think he would take that as an insult. Anyways....

I know exactly what you mean about outgrowing all that old stuff and looking for something a little more modern. But those old, soulful, funky samples that Dilla, 9th, Pete, etc. push out never get old or slow for me, have to make room for what inspired all the new cats haha. Especially the ones that you named. You find hints of all the vets through these guys, sometimes without intention.

Time to play Nas is Like - one of Premos greatest if you ask me.

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #176 of 177
Wanted, 100 miles and runnin'
Through the rain and the sunnin, when them feed folks comin
Keep your head up youngin', gotta keep ya heads up youngin'
The streets'll give your head up youngin'
Listen, flip your con 'tacs, stay focused like contacts
Your head's open for a contract
Can't go where mom at, the last place you wanna bring the dram at
The first place they gonna track I promise
Can't relax, but remain the calmest
Couple rules that your play by, stay by, stay live
You keep your boots on your laces tied
And only troop on the late night if you play right, you stay right, right
You never play the day light, jakes get on your tail
Never let them see the break lights
Catch me if you can when I'm dippin from the cops
Mr. Gingerbread never falling victim of the fox
WANTEDDDDDDDD
DEAD OR ALIVE!!!

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #177 of 177
No offense but why do you keep posting rhymes? Who are you trying to impress?
Quote:
Wanted, 100 miles and runnin'
Through the rain and the sunnin, when them feed folks comin
Keep your head up youngin', gotta keep ya heads up youngin'
The streets'll give your head up youngin'
Listen, flip your con 'tacs, stay focused like contacts
Your head's open for a contract
Can't go where mom at, the last place you wanna bring the dram at
The first place they gonna track I promise
Can't relax, but remain the calmest
Couple rules that your play by, stay by, stay live
You keep your boots on your laces tied