Best possible IEMs £100 / $200 to spend
Mar 8, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #31 of 53
In terms of fit (interested because I'm waiting on my Triple Fi's to come), have you heard of/tried the flip mod? Changing L cable to R phone & vice versa. Means each earpiece is back to front (the UE logo is innermost). Apparently, the phones then don't stick out as much & getting a good seal is perhaps easier (from what I've read).

And congrats on your new IEMs!

Mar 8, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #32 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of fit (interested because I'm waiting on my Triple Fi's to come), have you heard of/tried the flip mod? Changing L cable to R phone & vice versa. Means each earpiece is back to front (the UE logo is innermost). Apparently, the phones then don't stick out as much & getting a good seal is perhaps easier (from what I've read).

And congrats on your new IEMs!

Funny you should say that...I was wearing them back to front nearly all day . I guess i'll give it a go lol

Mar 8, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure about the price , but having a higher budget helps you look for better product .All I wanted was some decent reliable IEMS and i've found them . By the way , you could have a hard time trying to adjust to not having as much bass as the CX300's . Personally if you have the money and want an upgrade go for the Super Fi's , it all depends if you can used to the fitting of them

Hey there Chris, I congratulate you on your purchase of the "Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro's" In-Ear-Monitor's (and not the unnecessary EB, or Extended Bass, variant).

This is for you, and anyone else who is interested, in creating perfect seals in the ear canal.

My neutral sounding (with clear, tight, non-boomy bass) reference "Etymotic ER-6i's" have triple flange silicone eartips, and this is the best type of silicone/rubber eartip available in my view. They make great seals, and are very easy to insert. Yet for those who can't use, or get, triple flanges (*ahem*, Ultimate ears...), then silicone buds will generally do fine for most people, and the double flanges on the UE's are a little better.

However, as is said by Ultimate Ears own user guide, to get the "ultimate seal" on non-custom ear moulded IEM's, use Foam eartips.
Foam eartips create a perfect seal, since they shape the inside of your ear canal completely. Unfortunately, Foam eartips are designed to be disposable due to cerumen (ear wax). When they become discoloured, they need to be replaced.

To use them (most companies that sell IEM's with Foam eartips have virtually the same method of insertion), put the foam at the end of the Ear Conductor (the tube that eartips attach to on IEM's), roll and compress the Foam, insert into ear, wait 10 seconds (5 seconds is the said time, 10 is my preferred wait), and you should feel the foam expand in your ear.
It is not an unusually sensation that annoys, but it is interesting to feel the effect of the semi-vacuum created in your ear canal, and the seal once created. Also, it does not hurt. This will have the effect of making your IEM's sound fantastic, since there is a perfect seal shaped to your ear canal by the foams, and you will hear all the features of your chosen IEM's

For "Chris Uk" and I, our Ultimate Ears have great dual armatures, or drivers, per ear bud. One drives the low-end frequencies, and the other drives the mid-high frequencies.
As Chris UK has said, the bass is not big and huge as other in ear headphones (of the cheap variety in my experience), but that is because Chris needs to make a better seal.
Since my left ear canal is different shaped than my right, as tested using the foam eartips from my Etymotic ER-6i, the double flanges are the best I have to use until my ordered foam eartips arrive. The double flange's are the only thing from the UE eartips that make a seal for me, but they do not stay put, so I always lose the seal, and thus part of the music.

So, to Chris, I think you are using the wrong eartip. The small silicone eartip is designed for those who have small diameter ear canal openings, not to be inserted very deep into the ear canal. Please try the foams, as I believe this is what you need. Although they are disposable, they do offer the best in acoustic sound.
It is true that Psychoacoustics do come in play. The mind 'tricks' itself to believe that what is good 'has' to be good, so people who get high end in-ear monitors will perceive the sound to be extraordinary, whereas those with developed ears will notice and appreciate the subtle differences (either from cheap IEM's to high-end IEM's, or from high-end IEM's to ultra audiophillic IEM's). (Note, I do not think I have developed ears, but I am subtly appreciating the mid-high end audiophile in-ear monitors).

The foams will make a difference, but don't expect an explosive difference.

However, in saying that, the bass in the Super.Fi 5 Pro's are extraordinary, not as extreme as the V-Moda range or my previous Sony MDR-EX71/90SLB's, but huge and accurate. They can be thunderous, without ruining the mid and high frequencies (so very clear music all the way), and you can feel the bass, as if you were in a 'very good sounding club (acoustically)' or at a gig/concert.
Since the bass does not control the whole frequencies, the soundstage is also fantastic.

Hope this helps, and do write back if you do try the foams, and your feelings in using them.

wink.gif

---

The One In Yellow
"Day One Will Suffice"

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

Wow , awesome first post . I'll give the Foamies a go .

Thanks!

Cool, I hope the foams work for you, and yes, I feel good to have made a my first post in helping others
biggrin.gif

I will later do a review of my single armature 'Etymotic ER-6i' and my dual armature 'Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro' (both models feature precision balanced armatures), but after I test and use them for longer.

Three things I forgot to write down were:
First- read the insertion video on Ultimate Ears to show how to place the UE's in place properly;

Second- do not push the foams into the ear canal until they have been compressed, otherwise they will not work, and may cause pain;

Third- when you want to remove the UE's with the foam tips from your ears, rock them forwards and back in a twisting motion, whilst very, very gently pulling out the earbuds. This will break the seal comfortable, and the foams will pull out easily. It is similar to how you pull out the earbuds with silicone eartips, but you need to be a little more gentle with the foam eartips.

cool.gif

---

The One In Yellow
"Day One Will Suffice"

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #37 of 53
Mar 10, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #38 of 53
Well...my foamies broke (they weren't glued properly on the inside
frown.gif
)

As for burning them in , how many hours did you guys do ? I've noticed they become off centre the more I burn them in . Yesturday the left side was louder than the right , yet today its the opposite .

Mar 10, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #40 of 53
hey...email UE about the foams, I had the same problem, and they sent me 5 pair for free. Grade A CS from UE.

Also, it's been said that IEM's with armatures don't "burn-in", that mostly it's just a matter of you getting used to it.

Mar 10, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

Well...my foamies broke (they weren't glued properly on the inside
frown.gif
)

You mean your UE foamies (tube falls out the middle)? -mine were like that too -pretty loose actually. A teensy drop of superglue on the tube fixes em...

Mar 14, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #43 of 53
Quote:

Really ? Nice . I'll have to email them in a minute . How long will they take to arrive ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey...email UE about the foams, I had the same problem, and they sent me 5 pair for free. Grade A CS from UE.

Also, it's been said that IEM's with armatures don't "burn-in", that mostly it's just a matter of you getting used to it.

I emailed them for some foam tips and an extra cable (a black one to match my black 'UE Super.Fi 5 Pro', since the included cable I have currently is clear and does not match...). They were extremely kind, and have dispatched the cable
biggrin.gif
(will get any day now), but they won't deliver any extra foams
frown.gif

No matter, I ordered some from one of the most respected eBay shops in the world, iDealSound. They sell loads of official accessories for many earphone/headphone companies (like UE, Shure, Etymotic, etc). They also do free shipping on EVERYTHING
eek.gif
!
The UE foams cost $19 for 20, which is the best deal I have come across from any website/shop. Here is the link
smily_headphones1.gif

When I get the cable, I will tell you how long it took (from email to receiving the item), but remember that I live in the UK, so the time will be longer than those who live in continental USA (also, sos for the links addressed to the UK eBay site; just take out the ".co.uk" bit and replace with ".com", or search for the item under the American site).

I am using the UE foams included, but I stupidly washed them with soap, and the tubes fell out. Also, the foams are not soft any more. They really are disposable...
mad.gif

I am not a 'firm' believer in 'burn-in', but that's because I want to use my audio equipment as soon as I get them, and listen to the gradual changes over time (whether the changes are based on human perception, real change in equipment, both, etc). There is a huge debate over "burn-in vs Psychoacoustics vs actual change of sonics in audio equipment", so I won't bother repeating the debates.
I am also 'NOT' against those who believe in burn-in, as it could be tangible that audio equipment will improve sonically, so please do not flame me. I neither support nor deny the existence of burn-in.

As Pez has said, canalphones that have armatures, such as the 'Jays Q-Jays', 'UE Super.Fi/Triple.Fi/Custom' range, and the 'Shure E/SE' ranges, will not be affected by burn-in. So do as I do, enjoy the changes the more you listen to the UE's, and enjoy the development of your ears.
That way, when you want to upgrade, you will notice the little details on your next buy
wink.gif

Lastly (I do ramble on, don't I...), I will probably get either one of two headphone amps:

- 'Bass Boost cMoy v2.00 Headphone Amplifier' by JDS Labs (John Seaber, also known on Head-Fi as "blackinches"). You can get them from his storefront "three3three3three", and he lists an amp about every week.

- 'HeadRoom Total BitHead' by Headroom.com. Interesting amp, I like the PC soundcard part mainly.

Hopefully, either amp will do (I want the cMoy more) until I get triple armature canalphones (I am saving up for the 'Shure SE530', but may get the 'UE Custom UE-10 Pro' instead) for portability, and probably the 'AKG K 701' headphones for in-home listening
tongue.gif

[I'll shut-up for now, got listening/coursework to do...
gs1000.gif
]

---

The One In Yellow
"Day One Will Suffice"

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #44 of 53
Hey guys , got my cable but no foamies . I'll email them and see if I can get some replacements . The silicon sleeves don't work at all in my ears as i get a much better fit in my left ear (which makes all the vocals sound like they're on the left)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back