Best possible IEMs £100 / $200 to spend
Mar 4, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #16 of 53
Thanks for the suggestion Andrew , but the cheapest I could find the Ety ER-4 was £150 on Amazon . I'm not spending that much as I'm going to get the £30 warrenty too . Also I don't have an amp (can't be bothered with them really , only 16 Years old and they look bulky)

Mar 4, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #17 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestion Andrew , but the cheapest I could find the Ety ER-4 was £150 on Amazon . I'm not spending that much as I'm going to get the £30 warrenty too . Also I don't have an amp (can't be bothered with them really , only 16 Years old and they look bulky)

Etymotic Research, Inc. - Warranty Information
2 years of manufacturer's warranty on these. ER4P does not need an amp and when you can afford one you can just get P/S cable.

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #21 of 53
tell us what you think, I personally would've probably gone for the ER-4p because I love the clarity and detail/balance of the ER-6is. BTW, I'm only 16 and I agree an amp is pretty bulky. I only use my amp on my desktop for my grados, but i made sure it would work fine with my IEM's too.

Mar 7, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #23 of 53
Got any other thoughts on them, Chris?

Mar 7, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #24 of 53
Hmm , I'm afraid I'm not too techincal in this sort of stuff . All I can say like most IEMS they really rely on getting the ideal fit . Soundstage is great (amazed how much music is recorded with Vocals on 1 side , music on the other)
Anything you want to ask ?

Mar 7, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #25 of 53
I'm interested in getting a pair too, but I'm weary but they seem awfully... big. Have you found this a problem? I'm used to using me small EP-630s and the SF5s are a lot larger.

Mar 7, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #26 of 53
Yes , they're pretty big and took me all day to get used to . They're deffinatly not 'plug and play' so-to-speak like the EP-630's . Where as on my CX300's (EP-630's rebadged) I was using the middle sized tip but now because they go down much further in your ear canal I needed to use the smallest tip possible as it just wouldn't fit at all !..

Mar 7, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #27 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes , they're pretty big and took me all day to get used to . They're deffinatly not 'plug and play' so-to-speak like the EP-630's . Where as on my CX300's (EP-630's rebadged) I was using the middle sized tip but now because they go down much further in your ear canal I needed to use the smallest tip possible as it just wouldn't fit at all !..

Thank you very much. I use the middle-sized tips, too, so this has been very helpful! Do you think their improvement over the CX300s justifies their price?

Mar 7, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #28 of 53
Not sure about the price , but having a higher budget helps you look for better product .All I wanted was some decent reliable IEMS and i've found them . By the way , you could have a hard time trying to adjust to not having as much bass as the CX300's . Personally if you have the money and want an upgrade go for the Super Fi's , it all depends if you can used to the fitting of them

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #29 of 53
Chris UK,

I'm glad you got the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro. They are excellent IEM's and many Head-fi'ers really like this unit.
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #30 of 53
The cable broke on my depodded Altec IM716. It is a pity because I loved how it sounded with 47 ohm resistors. I re-cabled using an Apple bud cable and it never sounded the same. It seems to have lost some bass.

Now instead of going the DIY route finding suitable cables and swapping resistors, I prefer to buy new IEMs. What IEMs can match or better a depodded IM716 without breaking the bank? I will be driving this straight from an iPod Touch headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back