Best possible IEMs £100 / $200 to spend
Mar 27, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by qqbingbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually you can get a second hand er4p, they are really good escept the bass.

Wah....

anyways guys . You think i'd be happier with foamies or olives ?

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #47 of 53
I've given up with these , class earphones , i just can't get the right fitting . Tried foamies and all the spare tips i had (haven't tried the ones that came with it - don't want to either) .

Shame , i really wanted to enjoy these headphones too .
frown.gif
But they don't suit me at all , my hair is constantly in the way and because of that its a constant annoyance to get the right fitting .

I bought these for £120 , I'll accept offers if you want them .

Apr 17, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #48 of 53
Same, IEMs are not the thing for me... I hate the sensation of the drivers protruding in my ears. It's something that I can never get used to. Canalphones are OK though for me.

On another note, try the Denon C700 or 551 which is highly praised in this area. You can read more info about them here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/off...ssions-254224/

Apr 18, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #50 of 53
If you can purchase these items (if you sell your UE Super.Fi 5 Pro's, and other stuff on eBay or the like), you won't ever have problems with fitting ever again:

Yuin PK1 (or you can use PK2, but the PK1 is far better)

--

Since the PK1 needs an amplifier, I suggest one of three:

Headroom Total BitHead; or the AirHead (but is not as good);

Qables iQube;

Or my favourite for Price/Performance Ratio (and I own one...):
JDS Labs Bass Boost cMoy v2.00 Headphone Amplifier (by John Seaber aka Blackinches on Head-Fi.org) (but he is prototyping a new version in June-July). This amp is also known as the 'cMoyBB v2.00' for convenience. The amp the uses a high-end OPAMP OPA2227 that does all the good stuff to music, which makes any song feel warm, full bodied, and crystal clear. It is inserted on a gold plated DIP socket, which means you can use your own OPAMPS to try different tastes.
At the time, he did not offer an interconnect cable (a cable between your source player, say an iPod or Cowon player, that connects to the amp) but he now makes a cool 22 AWG gauge (thickness, the lower the number, the fatter the cable) 3.5mm interconnect cable.

--

I purchased an ALOAudio Line-Out -Dock for my iPod Classic 160GB player so that I can use the cMoyBB v2.00 amp circuitry and bypass all the iPod's own circuitry. It also means that the audio is cleaner and louder. I bought this because it means I can use any cables of my own choosing. Costs $55.00, but worth every penny.

I also use the ALOAudio JenaLabs Jena Wire Jumbo Cryo Mini to Mini 22G ULTRA-WIRE, since this cable is very impressive in audio, and since it is cryogenically treated (put into pure Nitrogen), it can bend loads without breaking or ruining audio. That's $85.
(Note! All Jena Lab Jena Wires are treated with Nitrogen, so they are very good).

The true specs of this cable and Line-Out-Dock are listed in another item on the website; read below for the link.

Granted, when I spent $157 to get both the dock and cable (+ shipping), I could have got them both as one item, but I needed to use the cable for other uses, and I my not use an iPod forever, or my upgrade to a better Portable Media Player (PMP). Also, with that much money spent, I could have got the larger cabled Jena Wire 18AWG Jumbo Cryo iPod dock or Jumbo Cryo x Silver 18AWG iPod Dock (or the separate cables without docks, since I have a dock), but that will probably be for my next amp (come on JDS labs! I want the new amp your creating!). (Also note that more info on the cables can be found in there other listings, either as docks or just normal interconnect cables, on the website).
As a very general rule of thumb (very....general), silver wires are very analytical when it comes to music; they make music sound fantastic, but very cold, and they don't have warmth). Copper is incredible for audio, and gives very nice warmth, but is not as good as silver.
The Jumbo Cryo x Silver is a good mix of both worlds.

--

If you don't use an iPod, you can just get the male-to-male cables from ALOAudio (or Moon-Audio, if you really wanted to). Also, if you use a PMP, see if there is a line out dock for it.

I always write large posts, but it means that I can help everyone.
I hope you enjoyed this summarised read!

---

The One In Yellow
"Day One Will Suffice"

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #51 of 53
well,

congrats with the purchase!

I'm thinking about getting some UE's too though I dunno which one? SF5 or TF10 are both tempting and so is the SF4vi since I have an iphone.

Problem is there is hardly any info on the SF4vi?

Must say I missed the Futuresonics Atrio's in this thread. They're a real bargain imho and are excellent IEM's.

Greetz

Apr 19, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #52 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricthaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well,

congrats with the purchase!

I'm thinking about getting some UE's too though I dunno which one? SF5 or TF10 are both tempting and so is the SF4vi since I have an iphone.

Problem is there is hardly any info on the SF4vi?

Must say I missed the Futuresonics Atrio's in this thread. They're a real bargain imho and are excellent IEM's.

Greetz

If you have money to spend on a triple driver in-ear monitor, then choose Shure SE530's over Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10. You can also wait for the Westone UM3. Future Sonics make nice earphones, but I think the dual driver earphones by Ultimate Ears are better.

Otherwise, the UE Super.Fi 5 Pro is just awesome, and is an amazing mid-high end audiophile headphone.

---

The One In Yellow
"Day One Will Suffice"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back