Best possible IEMs £100 / $200 to spend
Mar 3, 2008 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Chris Uk

Head-Fier
Hi , i'm after the best possible IEMS I can get for £100 . I've used some cheap ones before (CX300's , Vmoda Vibes and more recently 2 sets of X3i's)

Whilst I love my X3i's so much I can't find them reliable at all and break after a week or so . So I really want to push the price limit and get some great sounding and reliable IEMs . I want bass but also clarity . I listen to lots of rock if you needed to know that . I'm sure this could be found in this price limit ?

Thanks ,
Chris

Mar 3, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 53
I'm thinking super.fi 5 pros. I hear they have good bass, and it's controlled, especially rock. intoflatlines, a reg member here, should be here in not too long
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 53
if you can find these in the UK for under £50 they're a steal for the price

listening to a pair of them now, playing Elton John's Captain Fantastic SACD re-release, and the detail on this 30 year old recording sends chills down my spine

they're cheap because Altec Lansing has discontinued them, but don't be discouraged, because these are essentially re-badged Etymotics, so you can still get the accessories that fit this model from Etymotic....

In the US we can get them for about $50 new...

I bought a second pair from one of these retailers:

Amazon.com: Used and New: Altec Lansing inMotion iM716 Headphones

Mar 4, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 53
i think it's a bigger issue to resolve getting a proper seal with your IEMs
than any difference you'll discern between the different brands
at least regarding bass quantity and quality

Mar 4, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #11 of 53
that is true.. i've done custom molds for my UM1 and they sealed so well I was satisfied with the sound for another year! Ok.. i'm still satisfied.. heh

Mar 4, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 53
You could very well be happy with these, but unless you're going to audition them first, I wouldn't spend a lot of money...until you have a good idea you like the Ultimate Ears sound signature...

personally, I felt the Super Fi's were fairly warm sounding, and I liked that, but a little bit rolled off at the top end compared to the IM716s...

the fact that the IM716s were so inexpensive swayed me more than anything...

Mar 4, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #13 of 53
Hmm , thing is I've been after some more expensive IEMs for a while now . Some that'll last more than a few months . I'm not keen on importing the IM716's from america as I know it'll be hell returning them if there was a problem (even more so if they're discontinued...) . I love a warm sound too , so I think i'll get the Super Fi's 5 soon . Thanks guys

Mar 4, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm , thing is I've been after some more expensive IEMs for a while now . Some that'll last more than a few months . I'm not keen on importing the IM716's from america as I know it'll be hell returning them if there was a problem (even more so if they're discontinued...) . I love a warm sound too , so I think i'll get the Super Fi's 5 soon . Thanks guys

You can do better and get Ety ER-4, no point to go for imitation if you can get a real thing (im716 is rebadged Ety, crippled by pod and worse cable).
Amped ER-4S is a real eye opener, you need to hear to believe that refinement of that level can come out of small IEMs.

See if that helps
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/er4...-right-299023/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back