Best portable source?
Dec 29, 2012 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Spillages

Head-Fier
I really want a large storage device such as an iPod classic. Wish it was bigger really. But I get stuck in the trap every time I go to purchase something.

I really need to take a step back before I throw my money away. Quality over quantity is probably best. I'd rather have a smaller but higher quality library with me. So what have you guys dubbed as the best player on the market currently?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 22
I guess the 'best' one is the one that most suits your needs without having to shell out a zillion squid. I have a Sony X-series and a Samsung Galaxy S media player which is soon to be rooted to enable me to install voodoo sound. I currently prefer the X-series but both have their pros and cons.

The Ibasso DX100 is arguably the current king of Daps with its great spec list and capabilities,

The information from iBasso:

24Bit/192KHz Reference Digital Audio Player 

- Android 2.3 OS With Custom Audio Player Software
- Support up to 24Bit/192kHz Bit for Bit Decoding
- ES9018 32Bit DAC Chip
- Built-in +/-8.5V Headphone AMP
- 3.75" Capacitive Touch Screen
- Up to 24Bit/192 Optical/Mini Coaxial Output
- 3.5mm Headphone Output, 6.3mm Headphone Output, and Line Out
- 256-Steps Digital Volume Control
- 64G Onboard Flash
- Support up to 32G External MicroSD
- 3-Setting Gain Switch
- SRC Function
- Slow Roll-off/ Sharp Roll-off Digital Filter
- Support Wifi, Bluetooth
- Solid Case Made of Magnesium Alloy and Aluminum Alloy
- Audio Formats Supported: APE, FLAC, WAV, WMA, AAC, ALAC, OGG, MP3 
- Come With Micro USB Cable, Coaxial Cable, and AC Adapter
- One Year Warranty and Ten Years Free Labor

Specifications:

Power Source:Built-in 2000mAh 8.4V Li-polymer Battery pack or external power supply
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz +0.1/-0.25dB
Signal to Noise Ratio:-116dB 
Crosstalk: 1KHz0dB > -100dB, 20KHz odB = -82dB
THD+N: 0.002%
IMD: 0.0034%
Gain and Output Power: 0dB=2V rms (125mW/32ohm)
+3dB = 2.8V rms (245mW/32ohm)
+8.5dB = 5.0V rms (83mW/300ohm)
Battery Life: 72Hours (stand-by) or 7Hours (play music) 
Battery Charge Time: 4Hours
External Power supply: 12V DC
Recommended Headphone Impedance: 8~600Ω
Dimension: 2.83W x 4.65L x 0.93H (inch)
71.8W x 118L x 27.5H (mm)
Weight: 265g or 9.3oz

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592076/ibasso-dx100-true-24-bit-for-bit-reviews-impressions-inst-downloads-imgs-video-pg-1

I couldn't justify spending that much on a player just for casual listening with my TF10's as I'd never use it to its full potential, but thats just me.

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:
I guess the 'best' one is the one that most suits your needs without having to shell out a zillion squid. I have a Sony X-series and a Samsung Galaxy S media player which is soon to be rooted to enable me to install voodoo sound. I currently prefer the X-series but both have their pros and cons.

The Ibasso DX100 is arguably the current king of Daps with its great spec list and capabilities,

{SNIP}

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592076/ibasso-dx100-true-24-bit-for-bit-reviews-impressions-inst-downloads-imgs-video-pg-1

I couldn't justify spending that much on a player just for casual listening with my TF10's as I'd never use it to its full potential, but thats just me.

Same, that is quite a bit out of budget. I was currently looking at the ipod 160GB as it has a decent amount of storage. After I compressed all my .flac media into 320K MP3, I have about 150GB of media. If I could take 500GB+ of media anywhere I went, I would much rather carry my entire library in .flac format. But after reading, sounds like there is a negligible difference in 320k when on a portable player. This would be my first portable media purchase, and would like to make sure I am not disappointed and it will last me a long time. Alot of people say the ipod classic is a no-go these days, and I would be up in the price range of the ibasso in DAC/amp to get it to sound acceptable. For now, i'd just be buying a standalone media player, and a decent set of cans. I want to keep my budget somewhere in the $300 range for all equipment including headphones and the iphone seems like the logical option. Then again I don't know what other options there are on the market these days. Unfortunately, no local shops have anything decent. Only one "audio: shop around, http://www.onecall.com/ and they specialize in the beats by dre scene. I really don't trust their employees, they don't seem to have the knowledge I am looking for. Thanks again everyone!

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 22
The Iphone 4, 4S and 5 all have very good sound quality but I'd have thought would have been outside your budget if cans are also required. They also have their limitations such as being tied to itunes etc.

Probably also out of your budget but as you are considering a phone, if you would consider the Android OS and its merits, the Samsung Galaxy S3 (international version) has a good Wolfson DAC ,The excellent Voodoo sound app is currently being worked on and will be released for it soon, It also has SDHC card expandible memory as well as USB compatibility with some portable amps. 

or... If you would prefer just a player the Samsung Galaxy S 4.2 media player (android) also has a Wolfson DAC and sounds fine as stock but will soon have Voodoo sound once rooted and a custom kernal installed. It also has an SDHC card slot which would be a great thing for you. I bought mine for £69.99 delivered in the Amazon black friday deals and consider it a huge bargain... a deal like that would also allow you a fair budget for some decent iems.... UE TF10?

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:
 I was currently looking at the ipod 160GB as it has a decent amount of storage. After I compressed all my .flac media into 320K MP3, I have about 150GB of media. If I could take 500GB+ of media anywhere I went, I would much rather carry my entire library in .flac format. But after reading, sounds like there is a negligible difference in 320k when on a portable player. This would be my first portable media purchase, and would like to make sure I am not disappointed and it will last me a long time. Alot of people say the ipod classic is a no-go these days, and I would be up in the price range of the ibasso in DAC/amp to get it to sound acceptable. For now, i'd just be buying a standalone media player, and a decent set of cans. I want to keep my budget somewhere in the $300 range for all equipment including headphones and the iphone seems like the logical option. Then again I don't know what other options there are on the market these days. Unfortunately, no local shops have anything decent. Only one "audio: shop around, http://www.onecall.com/ and they specialize in the beats by dre scene. I really don't trust their employees, they don't seem to have the knowledge I am looking for. Thanks again everyone!

if 160giga is not enough, i m afraid you're looking for a laptop not a dap ^_^. or else a dap with a **** load or sd card.

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 22
Maybe I should just get the ipod for now, and then request an external DAC when my bday comes around in 6 months if I don't like the sound.

Edit: looks like the best place to buy is macmall, anyone suggest otherwise?

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 22
The iPod Classic is decent and the large drive is most convenient.  I load it up for business trips, strap it on to my
portable amp and it makes a wonderful travel companion.  I've had mine for years, now, and have no complaints.

You can get a step up, by investing in an LOD cable and a portable amp.  While still relying on its internal DAC, you
bypass the unit's amplification circuit  -- and there is some noticeable benefit is so doing.

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 22
I use my portables straight off the iPad n samsung note android phone...16gb built in , 64gb microSD= 80gbyte. = 150albums.
And I downloaded TuneIn radio...enough ambient music to drown Macdonalds :p

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 22
Dec 31, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:
Going to get the 160GB ipod, also have some extra funds. Should I invest in some nice cans, amp, or dac? What do you suggest?

Probably headphones. :)

Going to be using this for air travel and other noisy situations?

Lot's of IEMs with good isolation and superlative portability.  

Any musical genre particularly important to you. For example, I listen to 
nearly everything  -- but I'm most critical about equipment
performance on classical.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #13 of 22
Personally not a fan of IEMs... when people try to talk to me I take one out and it flops around and gets damaged. with other styles of headphones, this issue is not present.

As of late, i have been into the bass heavy music, such as dubstep, trance, techno, etc. Occasionally some newer hip-hop and old-school rap. 50% of my library is beatles, eagles, and the such, but i find myself skipping through those quite often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back