Best portable headphones/ earphones unamped?
Sep 13, 2010 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

neverover

New Head-Fier
i was currently using sennheiser mx 980 with my iphone 3gs. i heard a good review for it, and i went to buy it without reading "it only sounds good amped" part (i hate myself for this). but now that ive tried it, i found it sound to be too piercing at some songs, especially on some pop songs. it works very well for jazz, but not for my kind of songs, which is mainly pop and electronic. i need help finding a better portable headphone or earphones that sounds good with my genre of music. im very desperate on looking for the thread here, since almost all of the head-fier is using their headphone amped. i dont want to get the wrong message again. i already spent 230 dollars for an unreturned earphones :frowning2:

thank you all :)

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 6
I think the MS1i is good for pop and electronic stuff. It has treble energy for electronic music and mids for some pop/rock. Though their soundstage is very 2D sounding, but their mids and highs are smooth.

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 6
Audio Technica's ESW9

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 6
If you are looking for truly great sounding headphones, I would reccomend the Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10s. They are probably the most reasonably priced, portable, and best sounding headphones -without an amp- that you can get.
They are only 32 ohms, which is the optimum level for iPhones. In fact, I believe Apple's own earbuds may be around that number, although I may be mistaken. Either way, they will sound great. I listen to them straight out of my iPhone 3GS and get very high quality portable sound.

If your ears are very small, you should look elswhere, though. These earphones are on the larger side (still super portable tho!)

A great sounding pair of full sized cans that definately do not need to be amped is the ATH M50. They are rather large, but techincally, they are portable. Incredible bang for buck and awesome sound. Avoid the straight cable version if you can as this will make the cans more of hassle to travel with.

Good luck!

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 6
Thank you for your reply guys even though this is an old thread :D

Well for quite some time, the sound of MX980 has started to grow on me. The piercing high has gone and turned to a very detailed and precise high. The bass is improved too. Overall, I'm quite impressed.

But for some of you audiophiles, is there any earphones that surpassed MX980? I've tried ultimate ears, and even if they have great sound quality, the fits are very bad. I have a very small ear and it only takes a nod to pull that earphones off my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back