Best portable headphone that sounds great without an amp for around $300?
Mar 25, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:
I am doing more research..

Quote:
can they be portable? 

Are you even trying?
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:
I am doing more research.. and I've heard some pretty good things about the DT 880... lots of people have these it seems but they aren't their "portable" cans in their signature... can they be portable? 

Quote:
Do you think they need an amp?? 

Quote:
I also want it to cancel noise well and not leak sound...

Can they be portable? Sure.  I remember seeing someone post a picture of a guy mowing the lawn with a hd800 and some backpack rig that had his amp/dac in it.  I think it might have been attached to an extension cord though...but anything's possible.   

Do I think they need an amp?  Probably.  Depends on what the definition of 'need' is.  

Will they cancel noise and not leak sound?  No. They are open and leak like a sieve. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #18 of 30
Anything can be portable.  My sister has seen people walking around San Francisco listening to AKG K 701s and I even saw somebody walking down a sidewalk in Santa Monica wearing the AKG K 1000, though I'm not sure what it was connected to, if anything.

Just curious--do you know the difference between open & closed headphones?  The DT 880 and all Grados (except their IEMs) are open, which means they will leak a lot of sound and will provide you with no isolation, either.  If you do use one of those as a portable, just be careful not to annoy the people around you (e.g., on a bus, on a subway, or in a quiet area such as a library).

If you want a beyer, check out the DT 770 (it's closed) and if you're just going to be using it with an iPod or out of your laptop, pick the 32-ohm version.  If you're willing to spend close to $300, you can even customize the look of the 770 on beyer's website before placing your order.  Otherwise, the aforementioned Ultrasone and Audio-Technica models (from my previous post) should suit you very well for portable usage out of an iPod.

Edit: I agree with Ultrazino...  You've definitely got a lot to learn.  Seems like you're in a hurry to buy something, but seriously, there's enough information in these forums so you don't blow $300 on something that doesn't fit your needs.

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #20 of 30

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can they be portable? Sure.  I remember seeing someone post a picture of a guy mowing the lawn with a hd800 and some backpack rig that had his amp/dac in it.  I think it might have been attached to an extension cord though...but anything's possible.   

Do I think they need an amp?  Probably.  Depends on what the definition of 'need' is.  

Will they cancel noise and not leak sound?  No. They are open and leak like a sieve. 

Okay! Okay! I get it! 

Well these 

[size=1.7em] Ultrasone HFI-580s are looking better and better for my desired applications.. portable, closed, kind of fly... anyone reject this 100%? [/size]

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #21 of 30
And yes, you guys are right, I need to do more research.. I have a 300 dollar gift card to amazon so and I want these for a trip that is about a month away.. so yes, i should probably relax and do a little more research. but the more research i do, the more frustrated i get. i mean... before i found this site i thought bose were the SHIZZZ... woops! (never liked beats though
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #22 of 30

Quote:
Great replies. Thanks so much for the help guys.. .I am doing more research.. and I've heard some pretty good things about the DT 880... lots of people have these it seems but they aren't their "portable" cans in their signature... can they be portable? 

I wouldn't suggest buying the DT 880 as a portable can, especially if you dont have an amp

Maybe try something a little less expensive, like the m50s, or the ultrasones h-fi 580

they will do great as a first headphone, and they are relatively portable too

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #24 of 30
Okay... At this point I really like the 

[size=1.7em] Ultrasone HFI-580[/size]

and the

[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica ATH-M50S[/size]

I seem to like the 580 better just because of the size factor... what do you guys think? Any other comparable options I should consider? 

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #25 of 30
Maybe see if you can get a pair of ESW9s in your budget?  I like them more than the ATH-M50 that I heard.  I thought the latter was a little sloppy in presentation through a lot of the spectrum.

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #27 of 30
the m50 and ultrasones have pretty similar sound quality, execpt the m50s have a tad more bass quantity, and slightly more reccesed mids

Mar 26, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #29 of 30
@OP

If you are aiming for the ATH M50, as a portable solution, don't get the M50S, get the M50 without S. The S stands for Straight-cabling, without S means straight with a section of coils. M50S has oh like 3 meters of straight thick cable? Absolutely horrific in terms of portability and would probably cluster into a mess easily due to the length. The coiled version, on the other hand, is short when unstretched (about 40cm of coiled cable, and 80cm of straight) but the coiled part stretches to 3x its length if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back