best player and so so headphones, or best headphones and so so player. Advice before I buy please.
Aug 26, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #16 of 20
hmm whatever you say… poor note definition hey? yay for random made up audiophile terminology

Lol Can't believe that came from a contributor picking on the language from someone who doesn't even speak english. U knew what I meant anyway! And I added "IMO". 

Can't believe this sort of unpleasant things happen in head-fi too. Talking about random.... speaking like this doesn't make you sound more professional in any way. So whatever you say isn't visible to me anymore. people hear different things and I put my foot down for what I say: None of my IEMs sounds amazing on my low end DAPs no matter what amp or what cable surgery I use!I was just offering my opinion. easy~

Aug 26, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Lol Can't believe that came from a contributor picking on the language from someone who doesn't even speak english. U knew what I meant anyway! And I added "IMO". 

Can't believe this sort of unpleasant things happen in head-fi too. Talking about random.... speaking like this doesn't make you sound more professional in any way. So whatever you say isn't visible to me anymore. people hear different things and I put my foot down for what I say: None of my IEMs sounds amazing on my low end DAPs no matter what amp or what cable surgery I use!I was just offering my opinion. easy~

It's not pleasant...but it's the "objective" truth. He wasn't disrespecting your language, but rather, non-tangible statements like, "This player increases note definition" or "This amp makes things sound smooth."

If you're a subjectivist, that's fine. Upgrade cables, spend $2000 on DACs, and do whatever you think you have to do.

Just know that the frequency response, THD, square wave response, and everything else that objectively makes things sound accurate is going to be largely identical between a Sansa Clip and a $300 Cowon.

But when someone is on a limited budget, subjectivism just doesn't work well. When you're on a limited budget, "note definition" and "smoothness" aren't things you look for. You look at graphs, charts, and in depth write-ups on said graphs and charts. You come out with things like the Behringer UCA202 over the new Little Dot or Darkvoice (or pricier.) 

There is a huge difference between headphones at this price point. That is undeniable. 

The differences between the players are heavily debatable.

To be fair, if you're using balanced armature IEMs, a cheap, but typically nice sounding MP3 player might not do so well, as they are very sensitive to improper output impedance and noise.

Aug 26, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:
It's not pleasant...but it's the "objective" truth. He wasn't disrespecting your language, but rather, non-tangible statements like, "This player increases note definition" or "This amp makes things sound smooth."

If you're a subjectivist, that's fine. Upgrade cables, spend $2000 on DACs, and do whatever you think you have to do.

Just know that the frequency response, THD, square wave response, and everything else that objectively makes things sound accurate is going to be largely identical between a Sansa Clip and a $300 Cowon.

But when someone is on a limited budget, subjectivism just doesn't work well. When you're on a limited budget, "note definition" and "smoothness" aren't things you look for. You look at graphs, charts, and in depth write-ups on said graphs and charts. You come out with things like the Behringer UCA202 over the new Little Dot or Darkvoice (or pricier.) 

There is a huge difference between headphones at this price point. That is undeniable. 

The differences between the players are heavily debatable.

To be fair, if you're using balanced armature IEMs, a cheap, but typically nice sounding MP3 player might not do so well, as they are very sensitive to improper output impedance and noise.

True. For head-fi, there isn't absolute things. people go with whatever fits them the best. I was only stating the things I been hearing, just like other people in this forum. I find all my IEMs (JH16, 5 way, EM6 pro, Heir audio 8.a) sounds better with my 801+game which is much more spacious and 3D with better dynamics, imaging, and clarity. iphone, IPC, Clip, studio V and cowon just don't have the same level of presentation. so I think a good source is important (so I left comment here about my experience). that's it. I don't believe in burn in and I don't believe much cable surgery, but I don't go like "you are just random audiophile don't know **** abt audio mixing/mastering" to ppl that say they believe in those things. That's all I am saying. It's not about how much he knows or how little I know.  I thought this is a rule in hifi world, you can have different opinions, but saying other ppl stupid doesn't make yourself any smarter. You can't call ppl who listen to beats studio idiots just because you don't like them. everyone became audiophile without knowing much.

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:
True. For head-fi, there isn't absolute things. people go with whatever fits them the best. I was only stating the things I been hearing, just like other people in this forum. I find all my IEMs (JH16, 5 way, EM6 pro, Heir audio 8.a) sounds better with my 801+game which is much more spacious and 3D with better dynamics, imaging, and clarity. iphone, IPC, Clip, studio V and cowon just don't have the same level of presentation. so I think a good source is important (so I left comment here about my experience). that's it. I don't believe in burn in and I don't believe much cable surgery, but I don't go like "you are just random audiophile don't know **** abt audio mixing/mastering" to ppl that say they believe in those things. That's all I am saying. It's not about how much he knows or how little I know.  I thought this is a rule in hifi world, you can have different opinions, but saying other ppl stupid doesn't make yourself any smarter. You can't call ppl who listen to beats studio idiots just because you don't like them. everyone became audiophile without knowing much.

Completely agreed.

Having said that, $250 on a player and $30 on headphones...that might be a bit mismatched. Then again, there are some serious contenders in the sub-$70 price range, headphone wise.

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #20 of 20
Well, the chain goes like this ....

Audio format => DAC => Amp => Headphones

The chain is only as strong as the weakest link
So, for truly great sound, all stages must be taken care of.
I am assuming you have at least 320 KBPS or equivalent audio.
However, for some constraints, if at all you cant buy BOTH headphones AND a player, I suggest you follow the right to left rule..meaning Headphone first, then player.
Logic is that whatever sound you have till the amp stage, a good set of headphones will exploit it to the fullest.
Otherwise, what is the use of a superb player if the headphones do not do even 50% justice to the player's potential ?

Of course I am talking sub 200-250$ headphones here...
Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back