Best Pink Floyd album besides Dark Side of The Moon and The Wall
May 14, 2012 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

Norman314

Head-Fier
So, I've been really starting to enjoy Pink Floyd and Progressive Rock recently. Their two most famous albums are of course Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall, and I've listened to those, especially enjoyed DSotM. As for The Wall, I really like the first half. The second half seems slower and sadder, and I haven't listened to it as much, maybe I'll get into it if I listen to it more. But anyway, which of their albums should I listen to next?

Or if you prefer, suggest a progressive rock album by a different artist for me to check out. The only others that I've listened to in that genre so far are Return of the Crimson King and Tubular Bells. Enjoyed both.

Check out my profile if you like to get a better idea of my musical preferences.

May 14, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 55
Definitely check out Wish You Were Here.

As for other bands, check out Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick. It's definitely my favorite prog-rock album, and it's in the running for my favorite album of all time. Aqualung and Minstrel In The Gallery are also fantastic.

Oh, and Alan Parsons Project's Tales of Mystery and Imagination.

One more thing. Here's a link to Thick As A Brick on youtube. Quality is bad, but it should still let you decide if you'd want to buy it!

May 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 55
I really went into PF after seeing the movie "The Wall". And I think the second half is not so sad, as he finally find a way to break that wall...

I agree Meddle should be better known by people. This album was like "preparing" Dark Side, and it is really good, Echoes is a pure great moment.
By the way, try to see Live at Pompeii in DVD.

To have a good idea of differents good songs, Pulse is a good choice.

But Piper at the Gate of Down stays one of my favorite album. Interstellar overdrive is like candy for your ears.

I'm not very into Prog Rock, but I second Thick as a Brick as something to listen to.

May 15, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 55
Definitely WYWH and Meddle should be added with DSOTM. I'm not a big fan of WALL and ANIMALS. I like Ummagumma also.

You can check out Genesis, I would start with their live album "Seconds Out", it will give you an idea of what their music has.

With Alan Parsons Project, I like I Robot.

There are also Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Yes, Supertramp, Styx, ELO, among others.

May 16, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #7 of 55
DARK SIDE>ANIMALS>WISH YOU WERE HERE>MEDDLE>THE WALL

Dont't forget Obscured By Clouds, Underrated IMO

Yes-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-------I like 90125(Not as Proggy-More 80ish rock)
Genesis-Foxtrot-A Trick of the Tail-Selling England By the Pound-Nursery Crime
Wishbone Ash-Argus
Captain Beyond-Captain Beyond
Budgie-Bandolier
Hawkwind-In Search of Space-Doremi Fasol Latido-Hall of the Mountain Grill--(More Space Rock-But Proggy)
Jethro Tull-Thick as a Brick--(A MUST have)
Rush-2112-Caress of Steel-Fly By Night-Hemispheres-Farewell to Kings-(I added these because I feel they are more Proggy then Rock-Due to the Epics-10min plus songs)

There's a good start for you!!!!!

May 16, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 55
Thanks everyone for your responses. It looks like Thick as a Brick gets several strong recommendations, so I'll be listening to that soon. I will likely eventually buy several more Pink Floyd albums, but I still have to decide which to listen to first. I have created a poll, so that people who are shy or lazy about actually posting might give some input too.

May 16, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #10 of 55
Pulse was a great reco by @deadflagblues.

I also dig WYWH, listening now because it makes my "iPhone cut".

To stretch what is PF, I like early Saucerful of Secrets to know Syd Barrett but I also have a real love for late, solo Dave Gilmour a la On An Island.

What is great is that there is more to love and check out...I still need to get the Roger Waters solo album.  

Okay, arguments over the REAL PF will ensue but I've enjoyed my journey through most of it so far.
beerchug.gif

May 17, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 55
For me - definitely WYWH - then probably DSOTM, the Wall, and even really enjoyed The Final Cut - although it had a lot of critics.  I also enjoyed the post Waters "Division Bell" and "Momentary Lapse Of Reason" - but the standout has always been WYWH.

Quote:
What is great is that there is more to love and check out...I still need to get the Roger Waters solo album.  

CEE TEE - definitely one of my favourite albums is Roger Waters "Amused To Death".  Worth checking out.  I tried to get into "The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking" - but it never really connected with me. 

May 17, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #15 of 55
WYWH for sure...its a great followup to listening to DSOTM....i typically do both back to back and let the mind just go to mush....

Rush 2112 and Parsons Tales of Mystery and Imagination are also great albums....for something maybe a little newer, kinda prog rock, try Mogwai...or Zero 7.  I'm probably jumping genre there, but I enjoy both of those artists too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back