Best pair of headphones around $100 for computer and ipod use?
Dec 24, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 19
Do yourself a favor and order the 448s. My buddy has those headphones, they sound absolutely fantastic--warm, present mids and crisp, controlled highs. The only thing is the lack a little bit in the low end, but if you're listening to mostly reggae, this shouldn't be too much of an issue. Raspy vocals, jangly guitars, and hi-hat-centric drumbeats will all sound great.

Here's a helpful review of the 448s written by my buddy: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd448-around-the-ear-headphones/reviews#4486

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 19
The 448s are 32 ohm cans; while they MIGHT benefit from an amp, they certainly don't require one. Your PC's soundcard will drive them fine :)

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 19

Hurris, judging by the fact that you like rebelution i think you would love the reggae/roots reggae scene in hawaii. What else do you listen to besides them but in the same genre?

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and order the 448s. My buddy has those headphones, they sound absolutely fantastic--warm, present mids and crisp, controlled highs. The only thing is the lack a little bit in the low end, but if you're listening to mostly reggae, this shouldn't be too much of an issue. Raspy vocals, jangly guitars, and hi-hat-centric drumbeats will all sound great.

Here's a helpful review of the 448s written by my buddy: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd448-around-the-ear-headphones/reviews#4486

I respectfully disagree about your claim on lack of bass being ok for listening to reggae music, ive been listening to and loving reggae music since i was a little kid and i think anyone can say that bass is a back bone to reggae music.

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #10 of 19
Get the HD448. I'm sure reggae does not benefit from bumped-up sub-bass (which these cans lack). Or if you can live with a longer cable, get the HD428, they might be cheaper but sound the same.

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #12 of 19
So many bands man... 
Sublime
Expendables
Soja
Passafire
Iration
Pepper
Slightly Stoopid
John Brown's Body
Bag of Toys
Tribal Seeds

Bands like this.... there are many more

Nice to see someone else on here that listens to some of the same stuff I listen too.

Get the HD448. I'm sure reggae does not benefit from bumped-up sub-bass (which these cans lack). Or if you can live with a longer cable, get the HD428, they might be cheaper but sound the same.

Yes and no. half of reggae these days are really bassy. Especially some of the bands he mentioned. For example, stuff like bob marley or steel pulse do fine on normal bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back