best open headphones for 100-200 dollar range
Nov 28, 2010 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

impaledface

New Head-Fier
I am going to get some open headphones at around christmas time for a bunch of reasons.

1. I want to try some open headphones.
2. I want open headphones so my mom knows when I am listening to my music and dosen't yell at me.
3. Will be used at home with a fiio e7 and later will use it with a fiio e9.
4. I listen to heavy metal, power metal, death metal and most metal.
5. Perferably comfortable for 1-2 hours of use.
6. I am not open to used. I just think amazon has most headphones so cheap that used is a waste.
7.  Thats all i can think of right know. Thanks for your considerations.

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #2 of 12
Call me biased, but I think Gradoes in your range would be SR (60), 80 or 225. (60s below Budget).

The word seems to be 80 for the slightly better low end, then jump straight to 225s, avoiding the 125s which are the red-headed orphans of the headphone world, only bought by people who don't read their forums first and who reckoned that if 80s appear to be good, so 125s must be a bit better...

(Er... that would be me :)        )

Having said that, I love my 125s to death.

Plenty comfortable, I think. And if you are looking for something to broadcast to bystanders, possibly in the next state, these will do the trick. Really.

And ignore my remark about "low end" above. If you like the aggressive, detailed trademark punch in the face, "They all do that, sir." 60s and up.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 12
My friend has some 80s so I will ask him to do a trade or something for awhile
smily_headphones1.gif
. Thanks for the advise I didn't know the 125s were the worse one oh well thanks. Only sad because lots of other headphones on amazon are discounted and the 225is are still 200 oh well thanks for the advise.

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 12
Grado iGrado. Portable, affordable, powerful bass impact, open, and good on rock-dance-hiphop-electronic. Dark sound.

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 12
My vote goes to the AKG k240 Studio. They're only $100 and can be sound online for much cheaper. I bought mine from American Musical Supply as an open box for $70!

They're good for metal, but are one of the few headphones I've ever owned that are good for almost everything. They also benefit a lot from an amp and have a much better soundstage and better imaging then any Grado. I own and have modded my SR-80 and overall the k240 is much better. The SR-80 is good though. I dislike the comfort so much that it's hard to enjoy them. The k240 is light and has no clamping force.

The k240 is even good enough for movies and gaming. It's semi-open but feels like an open headphone.

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #12 of 12
I will try my friends grados and will think about it if I don't like them I will look more into detail on the dt440 or k240. Those were ultimately the other headphones I were looking at anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back