Best open headphone?
Mar 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 25
I don't know, given your list, that is a hard question to answer. I'd say probably either the HE-400 or the HD-598's IMO the 400 has the better sound, for rock, but I find the 598's quite a bit more comfortable and still pretty good rock phones. I actually bought some Grado 225i's mostly cause they were considerably less money than those two and they are also very good at rock. Bad thing is I had to go to 3 different stores and listen with 3 completely different setups to hear all of them. Nearly impossible to get a good feeling for whats really good or not under those conditions. I am saving up to get some HE-500's though, they were out of em at the store but based on the 400 I think they will be outstanding, got a long way to go (money wise) but still, that is my goal.

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 25
Out of what I've heard, it's still my vintage Stax SR-Lambda (Normal bias). Too bad it's, well, vintage and thus discontinued.

Modern numerical Lambda variants like the SR-202 tend to recess the vocals a bit and overlay this strange rough texture on the sound, just like the HE-400. You may not mind if you're listening for the drums and guitars on a rock song, but I'm listening for the vocals first and foremost.

I'm also not voting on that poll because I have heard absolutely none of those except for the HE-400.

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #7 of 25
Hey guys, 

i didnt say this in the poll or in my comment, but i would mostly listen to rock and some other genres too... not just rock

thanks,

djlaz7 :)

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #8 of 25
Hey guys, 

i didnt say this in the poll or in my comment, but i would mostly listen to rock and some other genres too... not just rock

thanks,

djlaz7 :)

You think you could help us out a little more than that?  What are you looking for in your bass, mids, treble, etc.  Do you care for isolation?  Do you own an amp?

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 25
I can, I am getting the E09K headphone amplifier, and i do not care about isolation or leakage... I would like natural bass, and it doesnt have to have a lot of impact, i want smooth mids and treble. I want a very airy sound, and great soundstage.

Thanks,

djlaz7:)

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #10 of 25
I can, I am getting the E09K headphone amplifier, and i do not care about isolation or leakage... I would like natural bass, and it doesnt have to have a lot of impact, i want smooth mids and treble. I want a very airy sound, and great soundstage.

Thanks,

djlaz7:)

Out of the ones you listed, I would say the Q701 :wink:

It fit's everything your looking for imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back