Best Open Cans for Rap Music
Jan 12, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #32 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think it would be best for the forum if this conversation was finished as a PM. duke it out there and save us from another flame war.

Cool with me.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #33 of 66
11 posts and he's already trolling. Stop feeding him, folks.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #34 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

good point. flame off

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #35 of 66
Quote:

If by trolling you mean, I saw a thread that piqued my interest and I chimed in to the discussion, then yes, I'm trolling.

If that's not how this works, please let me know.

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #36 of 66
AgainstTheGrain,

I forgot to ask if you had a budget. How much do you want to spend? And I'm not quite sure what to make of your amp. Do you know what kind of sound signature it has? My DAC brings all the weight to the show, so I prefer uncolored amps. But yours may have an effect on the cans you might want to pair with it. Just a thought.

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #37 of 66
Quote:

some people, not all people do this all the time. just do some search using keyword "rap" and you'll know what i mean

ok back to the topic, if you don't want crazy bass. i really love my dt990.

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #38 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AgainstTheGrain,

I forgot to ask if you had a budget. How much do you want to spend? And I'm not quite sure what to make of your amp. Do you know what kind of sound signature it has? My DAC brings all the weight to the show, so I prefer uncolored amps. But yours may have an effect on the cans you might want to pair with it. Just a thought.

i'm using a Headsix right now. kind of leaning on getting an MKV over the darkvoice 336 but then again i never heard tubes b4. how does hip-hop sound through tubes vs. ss?

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #39 of 66
oh and my budget is roughly between $200-$500

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #40 of 66
I owned the MS1 but later gave it to my older brother. It was nice for musical hip-hop like Tribe, Roots, Gang Starr, Ohmega Watts, etc. I ended up giving that headphone to my older bro for Xmas.

I later bought the Stax SR001 in-ear system. It's open and it's definitely awesome for hip hop of all flavors. They sound really transparent and open and respond well to EQ. Just for fun I maxxed out the low bass on my DAP earlier and the overwhelming bass made me nauseous!

You might not like the idea of an in-ear system or ever considered a Stax system before but I can honestly recommend it. I love hip-hop, jazz, electric, and latin music by the way. While hip-hop is often compressed and made with low quality samples sometimes hearing a the contrast between a clear voice over some dirty sample is very pleasing.

Just my .02

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #41 of 66
ak40ozKevin: Thanks for reporting on the Stax SR001. I'm seriously considering getting those at some point.

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #42 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak40ozKevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned the MS1 but later gave it to my older brother. It was nice for musical hip-hop like Tribe, Roots, Gang Starr, Ohmega Watts, etc. I ended up giving that headphone to my older bro for Xmas.

I later bought the Stax SR001 in-ear system. It's open and it's definitely awesome for hip hop of all flavors. They sound really transparent and open and respond well to EQ. Just for fun I maxxed out the low bass on my DAP earlier and the overwhelming bass made me nauseous!

You might not like the idea of an in-ear system or ever considered a Stax system before but I can honestly recommend it. I love hip-hop, jazz, electric, and latin music by the way. While hip-hop is often compressed and made with low quality samples sometimes hearing a the contrast between a clear voice over some dirty sample is very pleasing.

Just my .02

thanx for recommending the stax. i would have never thought of them. how much do they run?

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #43 of 66
650s

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #44 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanx for recommending the stax. i would have never thought of them. how much do they run?

They go for $239.99 plus shipping from Audiocubes.

AudioCubes.com - Stax SR-001 MKII System - SR-001 -

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #45 of 66
There's a brand new set on Ebay right now. They're being sold by a seller in the US. $225

Users who are viewing this thread

Back