Best Open Cans for Rap Music
Jan 12, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #16 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm listening to Gang Starr right now on my 595s. They're not my main cans, that would be the 650s. However, when I compare them with my SR60s, the Sennheisers come out on top. There's a bit more authority without being overly boomy (which I found the DT770s to be). An if you ask me, hip hop sounds best when the bass is punchy, not bloated. And if you like DJ Premier (Primooo!) you'll appreciate that distinction.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any more questions. I have some Wu-Tang and other hip hop that I can test these with.

it helps greatly. thanx and i agree completely on how hip hop sounds best.

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #18 of 66
Help me out here. Is the OP really trying to find the cans that will realize the fidelity of a rap recording??? What is he trying to accomplish? How he can capture the attack and decay of that thumping redundant synthesized bass? Or the nuances and spacial characteristics of a drum machine? Or how to capture the texture of some idiot rhyming???

This all reminds me of the scene from Spinal Tap where the guy is soloing by rubbing a violin on a guitar than, stops for second to make a minor adjustment and tune the violin!

Just find a pair of phones that produce the best bass and treble and buy 'em. I'm sure Best Buy has some great headphones.

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #19 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by toobs_rule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Help me out here. Is the OP really trying to find the cans that will realize the fidelity of a rap recording??? What is he trying to accomplish? How he can capture the attack and decay of that thumping redundant synthesized bass? Or the nuances and spacial characteristics of a drum machine? Or how to capture the texture of some idiot rhyming???

This all reminds me of the scene from Spinal Tap where the guy is soloing by rubbing a violin on a guitar than, stops for second to make a minor adjustment and tune the violin!

Just find a pair of phones that produce the best bass and treble and buy 'em. I'm sure Best Buy has some great headphones.

Wow! I though Head-Fiers were supposed to be a friendly lot. The OP was asking for our help. As such, I don't think you should be quite so dismissive. There are some hip hop recordings that take musical fidelity very seriously. The Roots play all of their instruments live for each recording, so fidelity is a must. And attack and decay are essential when trying to uncover the many layers and abstractions of a DJ Shadow recording.

And I think it's quite unfair to brand every rapper as an idiot. You'd be surprised what some of these guys know and have accomplished.

Plus, the OP never said he ONLY listens to hip hop. He could also appreciate classical or jazz recordings.

Be ashamed. You typed a response, yet you contributed nothing to this thread.

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #20 of 66
Nothing personal. I'm sure the OP and you are great people. I'm just stating my opinion. I thought that Head-Fiers were supposed to be tolerant of opinions (including mine) and that Head-Fi was open to different views.

You're talking about exceptions. I still contend that 99% of Rap music will sound the same on any phone that emphasizes "smile curve" of equalization.

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #21 of 66
Also, I'm not condeming anyone for listening to rap music. I'm just saying the enjoyment of this music is not as equipment dependent as, say, acoustic music or real singing.

Also, where does it say that I have to contribute something of value to a thread? This is not a FAQ or a Knowledge base. It's an open forum for discussion and opposing opinions.

Everyone gets so excited when someone zags while everyone else is zigging.

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #22 of 66
Yep, there's some pretty "hi-fi" -hip-hop out there, believe me (DJ Shadow, for an example).

I'll say what I just said (in an other discussion): The Grados have a tight sound, but NOT the bass impact.

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #23 of 66
Quote:

Nothing personal. I'm sure the OP and you are great people. I'm just stating my opinion. I thought that Head-Fiers were supposed to be tolerant of opinions (including mine) and that Head-Fi was open to different views.

You're talking about exceptions. I still contend that 99% of Rap music will sound the same on any phone that emphasizes "smile curve" of equalization.

Yes, you did offer an opinion, but no help. And while I may be talking about exceptions, the OP may be listening to exceptional hip hop!
wink.gif

Quote:

Also, I'm not condeming anyone for listening to rap music. I'm just saying the enjoyment of this music is not as equipment dependent as, say, acoustic music or real singing.

Also, where does it say that I have to contribute something of value to a thread? This is not a FAQ or a Knowledge base. It's an open forum for discussion and opposing opinions.

Everyone gets so excited when someone zags while everyone else is zigging.

Well, that's your opinion and we appreciate it. It just would have been nicer for you to say that in the first place. I'm not trying to be the thought police. It just seems like sometimes people go out of their way to give an opinion that has no relevance to the original question. The OP didn't ask you for your opinion on hip hop. He wanted to know about headphones. But all is forgiven.

Let me know if you'd like some hip hop album recommendations.
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #24 of 66
Not open, but the D2000 literally kicks ass for hip-hop.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #25 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you did offer an opinion, but no help. And while I may be talking about exceptions, the OP may be listening to exceptional hip hop!
wink.gif

Well, that's your opinion and we appreciate it. It just would have been nicer for you to say that in the first place. I'm not trying to be the thought police. It just seems like sometimes people go out of their way to give an opinion that has no relevance to the original question. The OP didn't ask you for your opinion on hip hop. He wanted to know about headphones. But all is forgiven.

Let me know if you'd like some hip hop album recommendations.
wink.gif

Fair enough. Gee, it's hard to be an ass with so many nice people around here.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #26 of 66
Quote:

hmmm you'd be surprised how many of these comments i come across on a daily basis. alot of it due is the bad name most commercial rap artists have given hip-hop. yes those dudes u see on tv are idiots and don't deserve to hold a mic. but ignorance is bliss so i'll let u have your ignorant opinion. but thanx for the comment.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #27 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by PenDragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not open, but the D2000 literally kicks ass for hip-hop.

thanx man but i'm only looking for open cans. i already have a set of DT770s

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #28 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm you'd be surprised how many of these comments i come across on a daily basis. alot of it due is the bad name most commercial rap artists have given hip-hop. yes those dudes u see on tv are idiots and don't deserve to hold a mic. but ignorance is bliss so i'll let u have your ignorant opinion. but thanx for the comment.

Enlighten me.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #29 of 66
Quote:

Enlighten me.

on what? you want a list of artist that i like? or u want me to sit down and write a paper on the differences in commercial and non commercial hip hop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back