Best Open Cans for Rap Music
Jan 13, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #46 of 66
would the stax be better than the hd650 in overall or just in terms of rap music?

Jan 13, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #47 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i noticed there is a big gap in the threads available for this type of music. most people on here are into electric, rock, classical, jazz, etc. just curious as to which is the best for rap/hip-hop?

Finally ... someone who can relate. Ive been surfing these threads for ages and have generally stayed away since you get treated like **** if you mention you listen to hip-hop. Im tone-deaf to western classical music and what passes off for rock/metal. Im sure people dig it and im cool with that but getting an opinion on what cans are good for hip-hop is like driving through east oakland in the middle of a turf war ... you get popped !!

I tried the DT 770 M with an RSA amp while I was in Singapore (Jaben .. they are good kids) and was blown away. Im close to buying that set up but would like other opinions.

I listen to a lot of Hip-Hop (old school mostly but some of that southern **** cranks me up) , Jazz (miles-trane era) , lots of rhythm (djembe, etc), lots of Salsa/Mambo/Flamenco, Vocals (jazz, latin) etc. Since my musical tastes border on the fringe I find it really hard to figure out what headphones to use. I currently have an old Sennheiser HD515 and some IEMs from Beyer.

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #49 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozomozo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally ... someone who can relate. Ive been surfing these threads for ages and have generally stayed away since you get treated like **** if you mention you listen to hip-hop. Im tone-deaf to western classical music and what passes off for rock/metal. Im sure people dig it and im cool with that but getting an opinion on what cans are good for hip-hop is like driving through east oakland in the middle of a turf war ... you get popped !!

I tried the DT 770 M with an RSA amp while I was in Singapore (Jaben .. they are good kids) and was blown away. Im close to buying that set up but would like other opinions.

I listen to a lot of Hip-Hop (old school mostly but some of that southern **** cranks me up) , Jazz (miles-trane era) , lots of rhythm (djembe, etc), lots of Salsa/Mambo/Flamenco, Vocals (jazz, latin) etc. Since my musical tastes border on the fringe I find it really hard to figure out what headphones to use. I currently have an old Sennheiser HD515 and some IEMs from Beyer.

well i'm proud of stating that i'm a hip-hop head. i'm used to having to defend that statement. i've argued from buses full of people, to cafeterias etc. so it doesn't bother me like it used to. i understand why people feel that way. an easy way to dead any argument especially with a person who is really serious about rock music and they try to argue that rap is stupid or idiotic. that all they talk about it bitches, money, drugs, and getting shot, or grillz lol. i simply say that you can't compare apples to oranges. that's like me sayin kiss is the same as blink 182 or linkin park is the same as black sabbath. so don't sit here and tell me rakim is the same as mike jones.

there problem solved lol
biggrin.gif

besides most people here or that i run into can't relate to rap that's why they can't understand it, just like most people who listen to rap can't relate to rock.

but this is completely off topic so with that said i can't relate to driving thru east oakland i'm from jerzee man lol. never ben to cali. only east side i kno is the lower and upper east side of manhattan lol.
but i've decided to get the hd650 for my rap music. i would get the rs2 but the comfort issue scares me.

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #50 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by toobs_rule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're talking about exceptions. I still contend that 99% of Rap music will sound the same on any phone that emphasizes "smile curve" of equalization.

Have you heard any Rakim? His songs use REAL instruments. Most notably which is likely to have been heard by everybody is "Don't Sweat the Technique". Has upright bass, cymbals, snare, horns and lots of stuff where you can hear the punch, decay and resonance of a lot of the instruments, all being REAL.

Rap and hip-hop in the 80's and early 90's used REAL musicians, mostly jazz and funk artists to produce the music....hence the reason the line between REAL hip hop and jazz is so blurred. Especially of the instrumental variety.... You can't discount an entire genre, heck, ERA because of the mainstream stuff out today. And I think that makes up much, much more than 1% of a genre....

The problem with most peoples opinions about most genre's of music, is they really haven't listened to it....

Jan 14, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #51 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stax for rap? That's definitely a first.

When I bought my baby stax I wasn't expecting to use them for hip hop ever. I wanted their speed to handle complex/fast jazz music like Soil & Pimp Sessions. I was just randomly listening to music that I like and started listening to a Slum Village cd and really liked the way they sounded. I bumped up the bass a bit and enjoyed it even more. The bass feels more like a sub woofer rather than what I'm used to from a dynamic can which kind of feels like someone is blowing air into my ear. Personally I prefer this feeling for hip hop.

Jan 14, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #52 of 66
Quote:

besides most people here or that i run into can't relate to rap that's why they can't understand it, just like most people who listen to rap can't relate to rock.

but this is completely off topic so with that said i can't relate to driving thru east oakland i'm from jerzee man lol. never ben to cali. only east side i kno is the lower and upper east side of manhattan lol.
but i've decided to get the hd650 for my rap music. i would get the rs2 but the comfort issue scares me.

Oakland has 'Soul' !! Oakland is to the Bay Area what Rap is to this crowd ! People stay away from here mostly, but people like us who live here (Oakland/Berkeley) love it here ... ofcourse we stay out of certain 'hoods but its all good mostly.

After the Darth Beyer discussion here i checked out Headphile and im hooked. I may get the DT770 and stick with it as i need closed cans.
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #53 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by captainbrendo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive noticed that alot of cans treat rap pretty well. If you're upset with the 770/80s boomy upper bass, maybe get a can with a bit deeper bass. Maybe do some research on the beyer 990; a bassy, trebely and supposedly more refined than the 770. I haven't heard it though, so I won't make any more comments on it.

On the other hand, maybe try some grados. My sr60 puts out alot of upper bass without being too boomy while still being clear. I've read that the sr80 puts out more bass than the sr60.

I still can't get over how well.. It's going down sounded with my 650's/Bada12.. The bass was like wow, & finger snaps were very clean & realistic..

Jan 14, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #54 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard any Rakim? His songs use REAL instruments. Most notably which is likely to have been heard by everybody is "Don't Sweat the Technique". Has upright bass, cymbals, snare, horns and lots of stuff where you can hear the punch, decay and resonance of a lot of the instruments, all being REAL.

Rap and hip-hop in the 80's and early 90's used REAL musicians, mostly jazz and funk artists to produce the music....hence the reason the line between REAL hip hop and jazz is so blurred. Especially of the instrumental variety.... You can't discount an entire genre, heck, ERA because of the mainstream stuff out today. And I think that makes up much, much more than 1% of a genre....

The problem with most peoples opinions about most genre's of music, is they really haven't listened to it....

I don't like real instruments in Rap/Hip hop minus bass guitars & maybe some drums.. The DJ is the BEAT MAKER..Scratching, mixing, sampling.. It's really dying now.. I been listening to rap since 82, & now days who scratches on their songs anymore? It's like a lost art..

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #55 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like real instruments in Rap/Hip hop minus bass guitars & maybe some drums.. The DJ is the BEAT MAKER..Scratching, mixing, sampling.. It's really dying now.. I been listening to rap since 82, & now days who scratches on their songs anymore? It's like a lost art..

not true u just have to look for it. 9th wonder, alkemist, primo, and sometimes kanye still scratch. primo is iconic for it. but they do it more on the underground tip with no name djs but they produce some serious beats man. oh can't forget amp live.

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #56 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozomozo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oakland has 'Soul' !! Oakland is to the Bay Area what Rap is to this crowd ! People stay away from here mostly, but people like us who live here (Oakland/Berkeley) love it here ... ofcourse we stay out of certain 'hoods but its all good mostly.

After the Darth Beyer discussion here i checked out Headphile and im hooked. I may get the DT770 and stick with it as i need closed cans.
biggrin.gif

nah i meant the park where u said drivin thru east oakland during a turf war. that's what i can't relate to. out here dudes only care about paper not turf. different mentality from out west. but some good things come out of oakland. one of my favorite groups Zion I is from oakland. oh and don't forget Murs. he from somewhere out there in cali don't kno exactly where tho.

btw i'm running my DT770s now. if u need a closed can i HIGHLY recommend them. plus i'm getting mine Darthed as well next month. but i need an open can cuz the whole Darthing process takes 3 Months so i need a can to get me by and i don't want 2 closed cans. not now anywayz maybe later when i have more money to play with. i would get the ultrasone 750s.

Jan 14, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #57 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hear ya on that. All your DJs today just blend crap with crap and in turn get a bunch of crap. nobody really scratches or samples, they just yell out their DJ name intermittently throughout the track...

Alot of people are that way, I never really liked synthesized bass in my rap. I guess cause I keep thinking it's how the nasty trunk rattling crap was evolved from.

It's part of the reason I still listen to old school rap(aside from the lyrics not being not junk)....cause it's intrumental side was more to my preferences.

IMO, the DJ is there for sampling and scratching, and that's it. Yeah producing beats is nice, but I think sampling is a MUCH MUCH harder art with real music. Not many people can sample that well, ie. scratch picklz, Coldcut, and Kid Koala are among the best samplers of this era, if not ever.

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #58 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak40ozKevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I bought my baby stax I wasn't expecting to use them for hip hop ever. I wanted their speed to handle complex/fast jazz music like Soil & Pimp Sessions. I was just randomly listening to music that I like and started listening to a Slum Village cd and really liked the way they sounded. I bumped up the bass a bit and enjoyed it even more. The bass feels more like a sub woofer rather than what I'm used to from a dynamic can which kind of feels like someone is blowing air into my ear. Personally I prefer this feeling for hip hop.

Whoa! I never thought I would hear anyone talking about Soil & Pimp on these forums. I really dig these cats. I'm moving to Japan in the next year or so and can't wait to see them live. I'm also looking forward to seeing Sleep Walker as well. How did you hear about Soil & Pimp? They're not mainstream even by jazz standards.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #59 of 66
Quote:

an easy way to dead any argument especially with a person who is really serious about rock music and they try to argue that rap is stupid or idiotic. that all they talk about it bitches, money, drugs, and getting shot, or grillz lol. i simply say that you can't compare apples to oranges. that's like me sayin kiss is the same as blink 182 or linkin park is the same as black sabbath. so don't sit here and tell me rakim is the same as mike jones.

hahahaha, sorry to bump but this is absolutely brilliant and I thank you.

And since we have the crowd all together here, I'm really sorry to jack the thread but I think it's easier this way...You guys here realize that there's more than bass to rap music, and I'm needing my first real can. I'm debating pretty heavily between the RP-21 and the D1000. Maybe even a dt770 but unamped and out of my price range it's a little unatractive. Both will be unamped from a clix2 or laptop, and I don't know what to do. I really value crispness and clarity.

Thanks for any help.

Fake Edit: I know it wasn't me, but I heard about Soil and Pimp from the okayplayer.com record reviews. I love them now.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #60 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa! I never thought I would hear anyone talking about Soil & Pimp on these forums. I really dig these cats. I'm moving to Japan in the next year or so and can't wait to see them live. I'm also looking forward to seeing Sleep Walker as well. How did you hear about Soil & Pimp? They're not mainstream even by jazz standards.

I used to work with some dude who was a big jazz listener. We were talking about some funk bands and stuff from Europe like Bobby Hughes combination and he told me about a crazy Jazz band from Japan called Soil & Pimp. The name stuck in my head so I went home, listened, and imported a couple albums. Pimpoint and Pimp of the Year are my favorite and I've listened to them more than anything else in the past 6 months.

I hope I get to see them live one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back