Best Open Cans for Rap Music
Jan 15, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #61 of 66
I will second those who recommended the 990s. Deep and fast bass is what you want (or need), and the 990s are up to the task.

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #62 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear ya on that. All your DJs today just blend crap with crap and in turn get a bunch of crap. nobody really scratches or samples, they just yell out their DJ name intermittently throughout the track...

Alot of people are that way, I never really liked synthesized bass in my rap. I guess cause I keep thinking it's how the nasty trunk rattling crap was evolved from.

It's part of the reason I still listen to old school rap(aside from the lyrics not being not junk)....cause it's intrumental side was more to my preferences.

IMO, the DJ is there for sampling and scratching, and that's it.
Yeah producing beats is nice, but I think sampling is a MUCH MUCH harder art with real music. Not many people can sample that well, ie. scratch picklz, Coldcut, and Kid Koala are among the best samplers of this era, if not ever.

Exactly:
Grand master flash
Marly Mah
Mix Master Ice
Eric B..
cut master cool V
DJ polo
Terminator X..

The DJ was the rappers right hand man.. No band needed. & sampling is a art form.. Goes beyond 'biting'..

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #63 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i see you're from houston so i would assume u would like southern rap. i just can't get into it. i'm a lyricist so i'm not really into the beats. down south has crazy beats but no substance. that i can't flow with. unless its like scarface or bun b or ludacris, ghetto boys, little brother etc. but like nelly, mike jones, soulja boy, lil boosie, etc. music like that i can't stand it. it hurts my ears.

but anywayz i'm getting off topic. i heard some good things about the DT990. how do they compare to the HD650?

You are drinking the poison of your accusers! Haha, I have no interest in Nelly, Soulja Boy, Mike Jones. Real Htown rap though is a completely different animal, and some have decent lyrics to back you up. Bun B, like you said, is a great example. Z-Ro is probably my favorite rapper, and he raps more about how he hates his own culture than anything else. His lyrics retain the confrontational nature that his genre demands, but he uses it in a completely different way.

Rap down here is all about community, which is what makes it so hard to sort the good and the bad. Most fans of southern rap don't hesitate to use Slim Thug and Lil Wayne in the same breath as their favorite southern rappers, but they are barely the same genre. You people should read the lyrics of "Fly in" or "Cannon" by Lil Wayne and then compare it to the lyrics of "3 Kings" by Slim Thug or "I Get Money" by Lil Flip. They are not even the same thing. But the rap community down here does not make the distinction, which is why southern rap is so distasteful to mainstream culture.

Alright, sorry, too off topic, AgainstTheGrain you should shoot me a PM if you ever get more interested in good htown rap, I can steer you in the right direction.

I personally think that treble is crucial to rap. Scratching, cymbals, and a lot of percussion instruments that are used in rap are what drive the songs, not the bassline. I think that's what makes the DT990 perfect for rap, because it does treble so well. I never liked rap from my DT770s, and I rarely listen to rap out of my SE530s because neither excel in treble. They are my Death Metal weapons... haha

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #64 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by litlharsh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahahaha, sorry to bump but this is absolutely brilliant and I thank you.

you're welcome. head-fi is about spreading knowledge and that's alot of arguments worth of knowledge lol.

on another note i was trying to avoid having two sets of beyers but it looks as if the DT990s are the winner over the HD650s.

which is the best DT990? the old one or the 05' one? they do come in 80 ohm just like the DT770s right?

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #65 of 66
The post '05 one are for the most part considered better by people on these boards. The standard version (Not manufakture) of the DT990 is 250Ohm, however, unlike the DT770. You do have an amp, right?

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #66 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The post '05 one are for the most part considered better by people on these boards. The standard version (Not manufakture) of the DT990 is 250Ohm, however, unlike the DT770. You do have an amp, right?

yeah i have a Headsix. and i plan on getting either a darkvoice 336 or LD MKV. i'm leaning more to the MKV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back