Best Open Cans for Rap Music
Jan 11, 2008 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

AgainstTheGrain

500+ Head-Fier
well i noticed there is a big gap in the threads available for this type of music. most people on here are into electric, rock, classical, jazz, etc. just curious as to which is the best for rap/hip-hop? n not that garbage 50 cent/down south n shyt. i don't listen to that mostly rap from the late 80s-1998. which means there isn't crazy bass like in more modern songs but more lyrics so i would need a can that will let me hear the lyrics clearly, any instruments used, and can also knock but aren't boomy. something that can play like Wu-Tang Clan for example perfectly or Zion I which uses alot of instruments and aren't bass over-kill, same with GangStarr they use complex beats but have dope lyrics. any advice will be greatly appreciated. i already have an amp, HEADSIX to be exact and a set of DT770/80 but still stock which sometimes are too boomy. haven't upgraded to Darths yet.

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 66
Ive noticed that alot of cans treat rap pretty well. If you're upset with the 770/80s boomy upper bass, maybe get a can with a bit deeper bass. Maybe do some research on the beyer 990; a bassy, trebely and supposedly more refined than the 770. I haven't heard it though, so I won't make any more comments on it.

On the other hand, maybe try some grados. My sr60 puts out alot of upper bass without being too boomy while still being clear. I've read that the sr80 puts out more bass than the sr60.

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #4 of 66
I listen to the same kind of stuff as you (listening to a DJ Food Stamp mixtape right now, lots of Greg Nice tracks) and I really like the Alessandro MS1s. I absolutely love them. I can't stress how good they make my music sound. That being said, I'm using my AKG 412Ps since I wore 'em to work and back today. They're pretty bass heavy and boomy. The Alessandros are bass light in some people's opinions, but I like 'em just fine. I hope this post makes sense. I've been drinking sake. lol

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayinhk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to the same kind of stuff as you (listening to a DJ Food Stamp mixtape right now, lots of Greg Nice tracks) and I really like the Alessandro MS1s. I absolutely love them. I can't stress how good they make my music sound. That being said, I'm using my AKG 412Ps since I wore 'em to work and back today. They're pretty bass heavy and boomy. The Alessandros are bass light in some people's opinions, but I like 'em just fine. I hope this post makes sense. I've been drinking sake. lol

problem with the MS1 is that from what i heard they're really uncomfortable. i wanted some rs-2 but the comfort issue i don't like. i don't care how good a can sounds if i don't like wearing it then its of no use to me. i'm happy with my DT770 but i kno they can sound better and i kno that open cans have a different sound entirely compared to closed. besides i'm upgrading my beyers to darths next month so i want an open can to get me by for 3 months while i wait for my beyers to come back.

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 66
I own the MS1, and although they aren't the best in the comfort department, I personally think that the reports of their extreme discomfort are exaggerated.

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #7 of 66
Nothing will be better than the grado rs-1 for rap, at least for me. I listen to something around 40-50% hip hop/rap and the rs-1's speed and impact is perfect for it. I found that I didn't enjoy the rs-1 with slower music though and only used it with rap.

Hope this helps.

*edit, yea the grado/allesandros can be uncomfortable, but if you bend the headband and wash the pads it's not so bad. The pain is usually worth it.
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #8 of 66
lol, I think the MS1s are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn in my life, and I have a pretty big head (7 5/8 in fitteds). IMO they clamp so lightly that I can barely feel them. I don't know how people can complain about them being uncomfortable. I could sleep with them on!

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Nine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Deep open Darth's X 2.

unfortunately its like impossible to get those lol. for one there are only like 10 or so deep darths in the first place lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan
Nothing will be better than the grado rs-1 for rap, at least for me. I listen to something around 40-50% hip hop/rap and the rs-1's speed and impact is perfect for it. I found that I didn't enjoy the rs-1 with slower music though and only used it with rap.

too bad the grados are like $700. which is out of my price range. the rs2 however is not. is the sound a big noticeable difference between the rs1 and rs2 in terms of rap music?

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #12 of 66
I recommend the DT990, at least find somewhere to try them out. In a lot of ways they will be everything that you like about the DT770/80, except they are an open can and they do not have flabby, boomy bass.

That was my upgrade path. Grado SR-60->Beyer DT770/80 -> Beyer DT990. And you will be impressed with the upgrade.

Also, I think you said you have the Headsix, and the Meier amps are famous for working well with Beyer cans...

I can't attest too much to how the DT990 will sound with old school rap like that, but I will tell you that I am a fan of more current underground hip hop (RJD2, Aesop Rock, Danger Mouse, etc.) and I also have an appreciation for the Southern Rap that you hate, and I listen to both out of the DT990, and think they sound very nice. That's not what I bought them for though, as I'm a metalhead at heart. :shrug:

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #13 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend the DT990, at least find somewhere to try them out. In a lot of ways they will be everything that you like about the DT770/80, except they are an open can and they do not have flabby, boomy bass.

That was my upgrade path. Grado SR-60->Beyer DT770/80 -> Beyer DT990. And you will be impressed with the upgrade.

Also, I think you said you have the Headsix, and the Meier amps are famous for working well with Beyer cans...

I can't attest too much to how the DT990 will sound with old school rap like that, but I will tell you that I am a fan of more current underground hip hop (RJD2, Aesop Rock, Danger Mouse, etc.) and I also have an appreciation for the Southern Rap that you hate, and I listen to both out of the DT990, and think they sound very nice. That's not what I bought them for though, as I'm a metalhead at heart. :shrug:

well i see you're from houston so i would assume u would like southern rap. i just can't get into it. i'm a lyricist so i'm not really into the beats. down south has crazy beats but no substance. that i can't flow with. unless its like scarface or bun b or ludacris, ghetto boys, little brother etc. but like nelly, mike jones, soulja boy, lil boosie, etc. music like that i can't stand it. it hurts my ears.

but anywayz i'm getting off topic. i heard some good things about the DT990. how do they compare to the HD650?

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #14 of 66
If you don't need the big bass for your rap, you may as well just go for any of the highly regarded open phones on this forum.

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #15 of 66
I'm listening to Gang Starr right now on my 595s. They're not my main cans, that would be the 650s. However, when I compare them with my SR60s, the Sennheisers come out on top. There's a bit more authority without being overly boomy (which I found the DT770s to be). An if you ask me, hip hop sounds best when the bass is punchy, not bloated. And if you like DJ Premier (Primooo!) you'll appreciate that distinction.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any more questions. I have some Wu-Tang and other hip hop that I can test these with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back