Best On-Ear (Over-Ear) Headphones for $300
Jan 13, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:
Magicman did u mod those denoms? And now since i was reading up on the sony mdr r1's what does the public on this sight have to say about them? Compare them to others, just give me raw truth! If u guys are wondering what i am expecting in headphones is simply good bass/lows and good mids-highs. I have the studios and i wanna know what should i really trade them for...

I bought those Denons back in the beginning of 09 at Best Buy, Yeah believe it or not BB had decent cans then.
I did the Famous Markl Mods way back then but went back to total stock..  For years I had a Denon 2000 cable on them shortened down to 4 1/2 ft, But just recently, maybe 2 weeks ago got a brand spanking new Denon 2000 cable and put it on.  So the only Mods is the new cable.  They sound better that way to my ears... 

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:
Im in the same predicament as ty123, but for christmas i recieved a pair of dre studios with insurance from bestbuy. It hasnt been 30 days yet so i can return them. After i received them i listen to them and they sounded fine to me. After i read all these bashing reviews about them i feel like theres better for $300. My question is whats the BEST pair of headphones for $300 or less that have good bass And Sound QUALITY?!!? Also whats so BAD about studios that people keep bashing them for? Seems like to me no other headphones compete with them when it comes to bass+ better sound quality anyway.. So u cant have good bass and sound quality? is that just it?.... **stressed...** I dont want to use an amp. Just my samsumg galaxy 3 phone with the poweramp application...

In the post above you say; After I recieved them I listened to them and they sounded fine to me!
But after reading other peoples post's, they don't?

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:
That's right. they just don't understand!!!
I'll take the Pepsi Challenge with anything under $200

Definitely!

It upset me when Denon discontinued the D1001, D2000, etc. as I thought that line of 'phones was pretty damn good. Even though my modded D1001 sounded leagues better than the D2000 I had... 
biggrin.gif

And to acetv06, I have my D1001 partially markL modded. Mogami recable and Dynamat dampening the inside of the cups + driver magnet. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #19 of 28
I would go for these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004QMH8KI/ref=sr_1_6_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1358131791&sr=8-6&keywords=amperior&condition=used

I've had GREAT experience with Amazon Warehouse Deals, most times the only "issue" is the package having a scratch!! 

Or, the Amperiors from Dahmart, also have had good experience with them:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0070U6NIG/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358131936&sr=1-1&keywords=amperior&condition=used

They, however, most likely will come without box, but yes all accesories.

As far as On-Ears go, you can't go wrong with either.

There's also a more budget friendly alternative that sounds very good, the V-Moda M-80's:

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-On-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B005HSDLCO/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1358131985&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=vmoda+m80

Good luck!

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #21 of 28
Don't you think the AT ES9 might be too bass-light for a newbie?

I mean, yeah, there's a world beyond the bass... but I think everyone has gone through the "bass stage", and if your first decent headphones lack in that departament, you might be in for a bummer...

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

I mean, yeah, there's a world beyond the bass... but I think everyone has gone through the "bass stage", and if your first decent headphones lack in that departament, you might be in for a bummer...

That's why i also mentioned 1R. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

The ES9 is definitely not bass light.  Whether it's enough is up to you.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #24 of 28
ALRIGHT , I MADE MY DECISION. The V moda m100's! I noticed i was kind of lying to myself slightly because i know that i am a basshead (but i still care about clarity!) and i wanted the best headphones i could get with my $300. First my ignorant self went with the beats studios which i returned 3 days ago and ordered me a pair of v moda m100's. What do u guys think?

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #25 of 28
Joseph what i meant to say is that peoples' reviews were bashing them, so i felt like there must be better out there than beats studios, right?! since the beats were my first and only over ear headphone i owned.. i thought they were good...

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #26 of 28
ALRIGHT , I MADE MY DECISION. The V moda m100's! I noticed i was kind of lying to myself slightly because i know that i am a basshead (but i still care about clarity!) and i wanted the best headphones i could get with my $300. First my ignorant self went with the beats studios which i returned 3 days ago and ordered me a pair of v moda m100's. What do u guys think?

I have the VMODA M100's and you should know that these require some burn in time to fully enjoy the experience. :)

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:
Joseph what i meant to say is that peoples' reviews were bashing them, so i felt like there must be better out there than beats studios, right?! since the beats were my first and only over ear headphone i owned.. i thought they were good...

I understand, sometimes peoples opinion's on something can change your mind, I realize now YOU didn't like the sound, especially for that price!
Also if you like check out the Grado 325is in that price range, but they are not bass monster's at all, but they are IMO, very clear and worth a try if you can listen to them prior to purchasing them, you may like their sound signature. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back