Best On-Ear (Over-Ear) Headphones for $300
Dec 29, 2012 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

ty123

New Head-Fier
Well I'm an absolute noob in headphone like I know absolutely zero and this is going to be my first purchase of "good" over ear preffered or on ear headphones, I know there's that other thread to post this but I'm on my iPhone and i get some can not allocate memory effort when I try to open (plus this is a big event for me so I feel it's thread deserving). Ok well like I said before I know absolutely I mean absolutely nothing so before I jump in I want to be informed Nd get the best bang for my buck, and beig a noob I don't know what to look for or what brands, I'm looking to spend around $300 for on ear preffered headphones, I will be using these basically solely with my IPhone 4, and I'll probably but the Fiio E6 Amp and the connector for USB to maximize quality (is it actually worth buying the amp?) I will mainly use these in my room so amazing sound isolation is not a required but would be nice for I do fly a few times a year and would use in car sometime, the biggest no-no is sound leakage, idc how good the ear phones are if they leak sound I won't use th for that is one of my biggest pet peeves . Music I listen to all types but screaming and hard rock (typically I listen to pop like shakira, adele, eminem, black eyed pees, nelly furtado). I was looking at Bowers&Wilkins P5's if those are any good but that's it really. Thankyou very much for your help and reading this wall of text, it's just a big purchase for a noob :p

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 28
First of all: Welcome to head-fi

Second: Bro, there are like thousand threats asking exactly the same question. You should check before posting. Almost all headphones will suit you, don't worry.

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 28
I don't know, in my opinion the P5 are a little overpriced. I would look for other options like the Beyerdynamic DT1350, Sennheiser HD 25-1-II, V-MODA M-80, etc. (all depends on what kind of sound you want).

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 28
Sometimes we have to be honest with ourselves: not everyone (myself included) have perfect pitch, so there is no point of spending a lot if the differences are so thin to notice. 
I found a 300$ tag quite high considering you can find good sealed headphones for half the price, but it's your money. Don't rush.

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 28
Im in the same predicament as ty123, but for christmas i recieved a pair of dre studios with insurance from bestbuy. It hasnt been 30 days yet so i can return them. After i received them i listen to them and they sounded fine to me. After i read all these bashing reviews about them i feel like theres better for $300. My question is whats the BEST pair of headphones for $300 or less that have good bass And Sound QUALITY?!!? Also whats so BAD about studios that people keep bashing them for? Seems like to me no other headphones compete with them when it comes to bass+ better sound quality anyway.. So u cant have good bass and sound quality? is that just it?.... **stressed...** I dont want to use an amp. Just my samsumg galaxy 3 phone with the poweramp application...

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 28
Seeky, Im not saying i dont like to save money, but if there is better for a higher price around $300, let me know. I want the best headphones with good bass + sound quality at or close to $300.

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 28
There are headphones that are $30 that sound much better than the Studios...

Why do they NEED to be $300 anyway? You could settle for a much better headphone, or IEM, for much less money.

Look into the V-Moda M80 if you want a headphone that doesn't break the bank and has a lot of mid-bass.

There are also headphones like the DT 1350 that have ridiculous sub-bass quantity and quality, but don't have prominent mid-bass (like the horrid Studios). 

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 28
Ok ill look into it mastershake. The reason why i want it to be closer to $300 is because i would assume there is a pair of headphones out there that is better than a $200. I just want the most out of my $300 bro. I have a $300 budget on this so i want the best out of it. Also what do u think about the sennheiser hd598 VS studios?

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 28
I haven't heard the HD598 so I can't comment. 

Price isn't always a factor where sound is concerned. I mean, my modded D1001 (or CAL! which are rebranded D1001) sound better than most $200-300 offerings.

Sound is really a subjective thing. Where someone might say that the newest headphone is 2x better than something similar in pricing, another member will say otherwise. 

I'd suggest reading up on some bass-heavy 'phones to form your own opinion on what you want in a headphone. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 28
I mentioned ESW9 because they are good looking and good sounding.

umm.. maybe check out the Sony MDR-1R
Easy to drive, good bass at the right amount. Stylish.

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #13 of 28
btw, the bass on BEATS are unreal.
They are being heavily colored by the headphones, which means the original sound is being changed. (big nono to musicians or audiophiles)

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:
I haven't heard the HD598 so I can't comment. 

Price isn't always a factor where sound is concerned. I mean, my modded D1001 (or CAL! which are rebranded D1001) sound better than most $200-300 offerings.

Sound is really a subjective thing. Where someone might say that the newest headphone is 2x better than something similar in pricing, another member will say otherwise. 

I'd suggest reading up on some bass-heavy 'phones to form your own opinion on what you want in a headphone. 

That's right. they just don't understand!!!
I'll take the Pepsi Challenge with anything under $200

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #15 of 28
Magicman did u mod those denoms? And now since i was reading up on the sony mdr r1's what does the public on this sight have to say about them? Compare them to others, just give me raw truth! If u guys are wondering what i am expecting in headphones is simply good bass/lows and good mids-highs. I have the studios and i wanna know what should i really trade them for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back