Best noise cancelling headphones?
Jun 6, 2021 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

gaming

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a wired noise cancelling, over ear, closed back headphone

Preferably with an audiophile level sound quality, one at least as good as the Focal Elegia

The noise cancelling needs to be very good

Noise isolation needs to be very good

It has to be comfortable to wear for 8 hours or more at a time

If a wired one isn't available, I'll think about wireless but would prefer wired

I'm okay with using EQ software to improve its sound quality, if there isn't one that's audiophile quality. But I need to know how much of an improvement EQ will give for it

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 30
You won't get audiophile SQ with ANC. Just go with Sony XM3 or 4 as they are very reasonably priced with the best ANC. Just use it for when you need ANC. They are great travel headphones.

It's wireless, can take in wired signal. You need to try wireless, it's very convenient.

IMO, Elegia is pretty avg and dull of SQ, not worth it. Not something I'd consider a quality audiophile sound.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 30
Just use it for when you need ANC. They are great travel headphones.

It's wireless, can take in wired signal. You need to try wireless, it's very convenient.

IMO, Elegia is pretty avg and dull of SQ, not worth it. Not something I'd consider a quality audiophile sound.

I need ANC every day. My computer cooling fans are extremely shrill and loud, and I can't replace them with anything quiet

I don't want wireless in case it causes cancer

re: audiophile sound, what would be audiophile for around the price of the Elegia? wired

I only mention the Elegia because Andrew from Headphones.com talks about it on Youtube as sounding good with EQ

Jun 6, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 30
I need ANC every day. My computer cooling fans are extremely shrill and loud, and I can't replace them with anything quiet

I don't want wireless in case it causes cancer

re: audiophile sound, what would be audiophile for around the price of the Elegia? wired

I only mention the Elegia because Andrew from Headphones.com talks about it on Youtube as sounding good with EQ
What Andrew says is one opinion, what you think is the one that matters. If it was clearly the case that wireless causes cancer, people wouldn't put to use. wireless is everywhere, you use it everyday with your cellphone. You go anywhere, you are exposed to wifi signal.

Try using the wireless headphones for various practical usage scenarios. You may like the ease of usage. I did. There are many aspects you do not consider could be of factor until they are actually put to use in various scenarios like travel. Don't worry too much about 'audiophile,' it's just a matter of perception.

Think about what 'audiophile' audiences are. They are 50-70 year olds looking for boosted treble, and willing to pay big bucks for that experience. If you still have good hearing, stay the hell away from audiophile crap.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 30
Just go with Sony XM3 or 4 as they are very reasonably priced with the best ANC

Thank you

How do the Sony XM3 and XM4 compare to the Bowers Wilkins PX7 for music quality?

And how much worse is the ANC on the PX7?

Which is more comfortable?

Also what's the difference between the XM3 and XM4? They seem to have the same spec

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 30
If you want wired you can probably still get your hands on an AKG N90Q or PSB M4U 2. The noise canceling won't be as good as modern Bluetooth noise canceling headphones. Sound quality might be better though

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 30
I'm looking for a wired noise cancelling, over ear, closed back headphone

Preferably with an audiophile level sound quality, one at least as good as the Focal Elegia

The noise cancelling needs to be very good

Noise isolation needs to be very good

It has to be comfortable to wear for 8 hours or more at a time

If a wired one isn't available, I'll think about wireless but would prefer wired

I'm okay with using EQ software to improve its sound quality, if there isn't one that's audiophile quality. But I need to know how much of an improvement EQ will give for it
What you're looking for doesn't exist...quite yet. If you're looking for audiophile sound quality with great isolation, you should look into a pair of CIEMs.

Jun 12, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 30
What you're looking for doesn't exist...quite yet. If you're looking for audiophile sound quality with great isolation, you should look into a pair of CIEMs.
Exactly what I wanted to write ...

Also - most closed over ears isolate much less than people expect.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #10 of 30
Try using the wireless headphones for various practical usage scenarios. You may like the ease of usage. I did.

Thanks

I've been reading through reviews, and a few people have said they have problems with the headphones. They get creaking in the headband or whistling noise in one of the ear cups

Do you know how common these problems are and if they're covered by the warranty?

One big reviewer said the noise cancelling only works for low pitch noises and hums and not much else. Is this true and does it mean it's useless for the high pitched whining noise from my computer fans?

If it is useless, would I be better off just getting a normal closed back with good isolation?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #11 of 30
Thanks

I've been reading through reviews, and a few people have said they have problems with the headphones. They get creaking in the headband or whistling noise in one of the ear cups

Do you know how common these problems are and if they're covered by the warranty?

One big reviewer said the noise cancelling only works for low pitch noises and hums and not much else. Is this true and does it mean it's useless for the high pitched whining noise from my computer fans?

If it is useless, would I be better off just getting a normal closed back with good isolation?
The combination of the headphone's seal, and the ANC drowns out the sounds in the highs and the lows. The ANC is for the lows. You can try it on closed back headphones. You will notice the lows don't get reduced that well from closed-back isolation.

No idea about creaking. Purchase it in a store, and if you run into such issues just get a replacement from the store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back