Best Noise Canceling Headphones?
Mar 7, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@geardoc: Don't you think the ANC7 was a little bass-weak with ANC turned on too?
@nullstring: They cancel noise like crazy, and sound like regular Bose headphones: Fun, warm, lack detail in the highs and upper mids. There's a slight hiss too. Also, it can't be used without ANC turned on. Stupid.

So, if you were getting them purely for use on an airplane, then they might actually be a suitable choice..

But, I guess if you are used to hi-fi cans, then bose might sound annoyingly fake..

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #17 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by geardoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the senn's 450 but sent them back. Couldn't get over the reduction in bass when the active noise cancellation was turned on.

Did you have the older version? I understand this was a problem which got fixed later.

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #18 of 49
I can see the flaming coming already but:

Monster Beats

TBH, having heard the Audio Technica ANC-7's, they sound like poo.
Yes, the Monster Beats are overpriced, but as are all active noise cancelling 'phones.
I would argue that the Beats are up there in terms of SQ for active noise cancelling headphones.

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #19 of 49
I have Bose QC2s and Senn PXC300s, along with many IEMs. IEMs provide the best passive isolation, but may wear on you depending on how long you keep them in (assuming in-flight use).

The Bose are actually quite good in noise-cancellation and SQ in flight, but I definitely prefer more audiophile-focused phones once on the ground. The Senns are going for a very decent price today (I paid list three years ago and never regretted it), and to me they almost match the Bose for in-flight NC, but their sound quality exceeds the Bose both in-flight and far exceed the Bose off the plane. The only issue is the electronics module that is inline with the cable, but overall very pleased.

Now regarding Monsters, I was pleasantly surprised by how well my Turbines work in-flight. Very very good attenuation of flight noise, and very very good sound quality in-flight and on the ground. Other IEMs perform similarly, but I am enjoying the Turbine sound signature.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In passive mode, I prefer the PXC 450 to the PXC 350.

In active noise-canceling mode, I prefer the PXC 350 to the PXC 450.

On most airplanes, I find a little bass bump to be helpful to lend a bit more rhythm over the din of the plane. The PXC 350 does that, the PXC 450 seems to tame the bass instead in active mode.

But in passive mode in typical listening environments (typical meaning not on an airplane, subway, bus, etc.), the Sennheiser PXC450 is the clear winner. In passive mode, the PXC 450 is, to me, a pretty good closed headphone, period, and I actually use it occasionally simply as a passive, closed circumaual headphone (though, solely in that role, it would be an expensive choice).

This was my experience as well. I actually returned the PXC 450's, got PXC 350's, and was much happier.

When used with the NC circuit on, the 350's simply sound better. The 450's unquestionably *reduce* the bass when the NC circuit is engaged, and this is not a good thing.

Since I travel with the wonderful AT ESW9 for use when the NC feature isn't needed, the PXC 350 is preferable for me over the 450.

That said, the AT ANC7 is 90% as good as the PXC 350, and is 30% of the price. So it's actually what I recommend to people mostly.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #21 of 49
Now the Fiio e5, has given me a hiss-free option with them, I'm more than happy to recommend the Goldring NS1000s.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, if you were getting them purely for use on an airplane, then they might actually be a suitable choice..

But, I guess if you are used to hi-fi cans, then bose might sound annoyingly fake..

Erm, I dunno. The inability to listen to music when the battery dies is a deal-breaker for me. Other than that, the Bose QCs are pretty cool. Super comfy, super ANC, and sound enjoyable. I think the ANC7 are more worth it, but if money is no object, hey get the Bose.

For the record, I prefer ER-6i and HD25 for the plane over both Bose QC and ANC7. Passive isolation suffices for me.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #23 of 49
You could get some beyerdynamic avation headsets. The microphone is removable and they isolate 30db - 40 db.
o2smile.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #24 of 49
Is the sound signature of the ANC7 anything like the EW9? I like the EW9 and use them for traveling when I don't need the noise canceling.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #25 of 49
Not really, no. The ANC7 sounds good, but it's not an ESW9
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by eraser_svk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about HD 380 Pro ? No information around here
frown.gif

It's not an nc headphone. It has the same design as the pcx X50s, but only isolates passively.

See this thread for more information:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...inside-378999/

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #29 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by eraser_svk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thougth the term "noise cancelling" also includes a passive noise cancelling cans. Sorry then
wink.gif

Could be, don't know to be honest. But I think that the hd380 pro are marketed as studio cans.

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really, no. The ANC7 sounds good, but it's not an ESW9
wink.gif

Not the ESW9 the EW9 woodie clip ons. Although perhapds the ESW9s and EW9s have the same sound signature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back